Dorian - Here we blow again....

When we lived in Toronto and visited my sister in Montreal often it seems they actually do know how to handle the snow.. you wouldn't get the mass hysterics on the news media and life just continues as usual despite the snow
Yep... when I lived in the Detroit area a 6-inch snowfall was a very big deal, usually resulted in power outages and major traffic snarls for several days. Plus, if you had to drive, you were in danger for your life because of idiots who didn't know how to drive in icy conditions. Here in VT, we get 6-inch snowstorms with some regularity, it is usually possible to travel soon after the snow stops, and people know how to handle driving on icy roads (actually, many VTers drive the same way even during the summer when they're dry, but I digress...)

It all comes down to what people are used to... areas where heavy snow is frequent, it becomes no big deal.

I forget which hurricane, but something like 14 people died in the mountains of NC due to torrential rains from the remnants of the storm. Flash floods, mudslides and rockslides are all potential killers in the mountains.
Yep. This was before my time here, but in 2011 the remnants of Hurricane Irene blew through here and caused widespread flooding in the valleys and many landslides that destroyed large tracts of forest. You do NOT want to be in a flood plain in Vermont... even if it's a normally low-volume river, things can change quite drastically when a major storm drops several inches of rain.

This little ****ing contest is really ridiculous. Let's just say that everyone everywhere will die from something. Even if that something is boredom in Iowa or embarrassment in certain West Coast states.

Not me. I plan on living forever. So far the plan is working....:lol::lol:

This little ****ing contest is really ridiculous. Let's just say that everyone everywhere will die from something. Even if that something is boredom in Iowa or embarrassment in certain West Coast states.
I didn’t realize it was a ****ing contest...I’m truly interested in the data.

Y’all debating who’s gonna die from weather, you’re going to die of heart disease. LOL.

I was driving from DC down the NC. The first time I passed a bunch of bucket trucks in caravan I hadn't caught on, but I passed about five or six convoys of electrical workers heading south.

Is there typically a mass flight school exodus a day or two before the storm to clear them out of harm's way? I can't imagine a PA-28 or C-172 with just wheel chocks and some tie downs would tolerate a CAT 4 that well... the plane will basically already be at maneuvering speed while stationary on the ground.
Pretty much all of PEA (Phoenix East Aviation) brought their school planes to KRYY today. Think they are based in DAB and FIN. Left for lunch airport was normal, came back and there were 40 - 50 new arrivals on the ramp.

I probably would have left anyway, but not so early. It’s a great excuse to have an adventure in the plane.

We’re somewhere in the middle of Mississippi taking on a load and dropping off a load. Getting back in the plane headed for Plano now.

Flew over the Mississippi for the first time ever. Also first flight as PIC west of the Mississippi.

No math but just a fun story...

We had over 100 (!) vehicles stuck with people in them our last blizzard on the road that leads to my house from the city.

That happened twice in our last year in CO (2016) on 24 between COS and Payton, and I25 between COS and Monument. Hundreds of stuck and abandoned. Then the FD lost it in whiteout and ended up on its side in the median. Sheesh.

To add to @FastEddieB ’s offer - We have ramp space for several transient airplanes, with the possibility of hangar space for one or two single engine aircraft at 1A0 in Chattanooga.

If I can be of assistance in getting anything organized for you to stay, don’t hesitate to shoot me a PM.

That happened twice in our last year in CO (2016) on 24 between COS and Payton, and I25 between COS and Monument. Hundreds of stuck and abandoned. Then the FD lost it in whiteout and ended up on its side in the median. Sheesh.

I believe they had a repeat performance on 24 somewhere down there during the same storm that stranded our “northerners” up here. LOL.

I’ve lived here long enough that no job is worth my life. And definitely not worth freezing my butt off in a vehicle in a snow drift for hours with 99 of my closest new friends. Hahaha.

At least they had enough of them out there that a few were smart enough to wander around and tell others not to let the drift cover their tail pipes and to crack windows every so often to get a little fresh air... on the downwind side so they didn’t get blasted by the northerly blow. Hahaha.

Now they are calling for it to ride up the coast. Georgia, Carolinas...welcome to the party.

Tom

I remember Andrew back in '92. That was a storm right there. Button up, batten down and gtfo.

So what are your hurricane hacks or prep suggestions? Here's a starter:

- Don't despair when the stores run out of bottled water ahead of the storm. Just buy a box or two of quart-size ziplock bags and fill them with water from your tap, then store the bags in a tub or cooler. Empty them into a pitcher as needed. The water will be fine for at least a week, but you can treat it with a drop or two of unscented bleach if you feel the need.

- Buy 50' or 100' of rope. Very handy for tying up and hauling off debris, doing makeshift repairs, replacing a section of downed fence, tying up or leading a loose animal, hauling roofing materials onto the roof, and dozens of other uses.

- Before the storm hits and power goes out, fill a few thermoses with boiling hot water. While you're waiting for things to calm down so you can hook up your gennie, hot water is handy for fixing a cup of instant soup, brewing some tea, a bowl of instant oatmeal, etc.

- Lots places distribute sandbags. They ran out? Folks, this is simple - there are only two ingredients for a sandbag, sand and a bag. Got some heavy trashbags? Got some sand? :)

So what are your hacks?

They're predicting a more northerly track now, so hopefully it'll miss us, but having lived through Jeanne in 2004 I don't trust the track forecast very much.

upload_2019-8-31_13-46-9.png

"Ooops! Missed the exit for central Florida! Turning around...."

They're predicting a more northerly track now, so hopefully it'll miss us, but having lived through Jeanne in 2004 I don't trust the track forecast very much.

View attachment 77421

"Ooops! Missed the exit for central Florida! Turning around...."
Yup! That's why I like the fact that I can just bug out early and not lose sleep over it. If the house gets smooched, I'll rebuild. If the storm turns and doesn't even hit, we had a good adventure.

Yup! That's why I like the fact that I can just bug out early and not lose sleep over it. If the house gets smooched, I'll rebuild. If the storm turns and doesn't even hit, we had a good adventure.

So are you in Plano now? You should try to connect with @SixPapaCharlie and @AggieMike88 and @Ravioli while you're out there.

Dorian about to hit Florida

Me, an intelllectual:

pelsehohvao21.jpg

Likely overblown by the climate change loonies (9 1/2 years to destruction!!)

Most likely will be cat2 by the time it hits the coast.

Unfortunately my daughter couldn’t bug out early...she works for the county, and had to stay and button things up.

She’s also got her FEMA certifications, so has to be back right away.

She’s hunkered down.

Gonna be a long week for my wife, I think. :(

Is there typically a mass flight school exodus a day or two before the storm to clear them out of harm's way? I can't imagine a PA-28 or C-172 with just wheel chocks and some tie downs would tolerate a CAT 4 that well... the plane will basically already be at maneuvering speed while stationary on the ground.
Here’s your answer. ERAU fleet heading out!
14E123B8-3C81-4A96-B540-4A8D60366DFC.png

From another group:
“Mass migration of the Virgins to Auburn....”

European models now have it skimming the Eastern seaboard through North Carolina / SE Virginia before spinning back out to sea.

I didn’t realize it was a ****ing contest...I’m truly interested in the data.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25073563

During 2006-2010, about 2,000 U.S. residents died each year from weather-related causes of death. About 31% of these deaths were attributed to exposure to excessive natural heat, heat stroke, sun stroke, or all; 63% were attributed to exposure to excessive natural cold, hypothermia, or both; and the remaining 6% were attributed to floods, storms, or lightning

If you're elderly and lose power in a hurricane, you get really hot and miserable. If you lose power, or the oil/gas truck can't get to you in a snow storm, you freeze to death.

Interesting...thanks.

Our viewpoints on this stuff probably get a little skewed based on what we consider “normal” weather.
I grew up in Germany and PA. Snow storms and -70 chill factor are no stranger to me. Much more widespread and impact more people for more time than a hurricane blowing through. The hurricane is gone in a few days, flooding can last longer, but if it didn't kill you the first few days, it's unlikely to. A winter storm can last weeks, or even months across multiple states.

If you have a tall roof and no ladder, throw a couple of long ropes over the roof and use them to pull up and tie off a tarp for temporary roof repair. It may take some practice at being able to throw a rope that far so you might have better luck with tennis ball -> kite string -> rope, all tied together.

I grew up in Germany and PA. Snow storms and -70 chill factor are no stranger to me. Much more widespread and impact more people for more time than a hurricane blowing through. The hurricane is gone in a few days, flooding can last longer, but if it didn't kill you the first few days, it's unlikely to. A winter storm can last weeks, or even months across multiple states.
I grew up with Minnesota snowstorms resulting in power outages for several days...no big deal. Drain the water pipes and light fireplace.

I’ve been hot enough that I’d rather die, but I’ve never been cold at 40 below. Preparedness is a huge factor, no matter what the conditions you’re dealing with.

I grew up with Minnesota snowstorms resulting in power outages for several days...no big deal. Drain the water pipes and light fireplace.

I’ve been hot enough that I’d rather die, but I’ve never been cold at 40 below. Preparedness is a huge factor, no matter what the conditions you’re dealing with.
You aren't elderly and infirm. That's who dies for the most part. Everything is great until the furnace runs out of oil, or breaks and the phones are down because of ice.

Back