$Making That Money$

Fly4Fun!

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Fly4Fun!
Highest legal manner of making money in the aviation field?
(If as a pilot, what is the best airline to work for?)

Sell your airplane while still very young. Invest all the money you would have spent on it and allow it to compound for a couple of decades.
Should be a slam dunk to hit a $million by retirement. :cool:

Ask Gulfstream Gurl...... oh wait.....

Nevermind.

I think you deserve a serious answer:

1. Sales, not flying.
2. If piloting, it doesn't matter which airline you want to work for because you will take whoever will hire you when you're qualified enough to apply with whoever is hiring.​

Delta came very close to having several pilots make 1 million last year. Several were over 900,000. It’s not difficult for a senior Captain to break 600K and even copilots are breaking 300k.

Delta came very close to having several pilots make 1 million last year. Several were over 900,000. It’s not difficult for a senior Captain to break 600K and even copilots are breaking 300k.

I find this really hard to believe. Their pay scales are posted on airlinepilotcentral and a topped out widbody captain would need well over 2000 hours of pay even with lots of per diem to get to 900k. I think most captains are making 250-400 and the f/os are a little more than half of that. They must have an amazing contract because at the airline I used to work for you really really had to bust your ass to credit 100-120 hours a pay per month. Average was like 75-85.

I find this really hard to believe. Their pay scales are posted on airlinepilotcentral and a topped out widbody captain would need well over 2000 hours of pay even with lots of per diem to get to 900k. I think most captains are making 250-400 and the f/os are a little more than half of that. They must have an amazing contract because at the airline I used to work for you really really had to bust your ass to credit 100-120 hours a pay per month. Average was like 75-85.

Delta had a unique situation when they were getting the Airbus 350 integrated into their operation, and indeed several of their pilots made the kind of money mentioned. But as you said, the vast majority fall in line with what you mention. It’s funny how some pilots love to only discuss the outliers. It’s one of those things you see all the time on APC.

To the OP - if money is your primary motivator, you’d be better served doing something other than being a pilot.

Smuggling if flying.

Owning NetJets or similar fractional company with an exec position and a seat on other’s Boards if not flying. (Berkshire Hathaway owns them I believe, so you get to have a fist fight with Warren Buffett in a death cage match to try to take it away from him...)

Best airline is the one that you don’t have to commute to and training buys away all of your trips.

Selling jets.

Business modifying/upgrading jet interiors.

Doing the math and answering the question "straight and narrow", one of our DPEs was a training captain for UPS on the trans-pacific 747 route. I assume he makes bizzzzzzank and has for decades.

Any flights long enough to have relief crew on board are usually senior enough to pay really well and as a friend says, includes “dozing for dollars”. LOL.

Delta had a unique situation when they were getting the Airbus 350 integrated into their operation, and indeed several of their pilots made the kind of money mentioned. But as you said, the vast majority fall in line with what you mention. It’s funny how some pilots love to only discuss the outliers. It’s one of those things you see all the time on APC.
Yep, the 350 and 330 guys are cleaning up - especially if you live in domicile. I've been on mil leave for a few years, but I keep in touch with the guys on the line (I go back next year so I need the scuttle-butt). Anyway, a friend of mine is a 330 captain in NYC. I didn't check his pay stubs, but he's not the kind of guy that makes this up. He said he did 3 normal-pay trips total in 2018. So all the other flying he did (and he maxed out most months) was on double pay. That's how the guys are rolling in it - the categories are understaffed. When I was on the 76 in NYC in 2015 there were captains bidding back down to FO because they would make more money with all the double-pay trips - we were about 50 FO's short in NYC and had 10-15 double pay trips every single day. Crazy times.

If you want to work and are in an understaffed category the money train is knocking right now at DAL.

The Delta contract allows for double and even triple pay depending on the situation. Profit sharing also paid 14.1% with 16 projected and pilots can quickly hit their 415C max resulting in another 16% additional pay for the remainder of the year. Average pay across the seniority list will exceed 300K by a good margin in 2019. Simple example. A330 Captain getting 340 an hour can see a actual rate of 448 an hour for a good part of the year. Training buys a 3 day trip from him and he picks up a overtime trip on the same days. If the trips are 21 hour trips his gross will be about 28,000 for the 3 days. If it’s a simple overtime pickup on days off it would still be over 18,000. Pay rates in airline contracts only tell part of the story. Soft money is the rest of the story. In the above examples add in the pilot getting rerouted and an additional 10 to 20 hours pay could be added to the trip total. If he is a 777 or A350 CA all the above numbers are higher.
I did not even get into the reserve system which can be incredibly lucrative via a process pilots call rolling thunder. That’s a long complex discussion but prints money!

A friend of mine sells and leases corporate jets.
Last time I checked he owned Rhode Island and had just put down an option on Belgium.

Udvar Hazy did alright in aviation.

If you want to work and are in an understaffed category the money train is knocking right now at DAL.

Your ability to make money is friggin’ awesome. I’m a lazy ‘fly my line’ kind of guy, but it’d definitely be cool to have more options to work the system every once in awhile.

Allegiant

You joke, but I had a large number of airline pilots at my wedding earlier this year (I increased the caterer’s booze estimate by 30%!), and by the end it was decided that the Allegiant guy there was the smartest of all of us. Thirty years old, average TAFB of less than a 100/month, no overnights, and does about $270K for the year. He’s got the nice house on the Florida coast with the boat dock, fishing boat, and a smoking hot 22 year old girlfriend. As my Delta and SWA buddies noted, “What the ***k are we doing???” :p :p

You joke, but I had a large number of airline pilots at my wedding earlier this year (I increased the caterer’s booze estimate by 30%!), and by the end it was decided that the Allegiant guy there was the smartest of all of us. Thirty years old, average TAFB of less than a 100/month, no overnights, and does about $270K for the year. He’s got the nice house on the Florida coast with the boat dock, fishing boat, and a smoking hot 22 year old girlfriend. As my Delta and SWA buddies noted, “What the ***k are we doing???” :p :p

kayoh190, now i know your not at my base or you really underestimated it at 30 percent!

kayoh190, now i know your not at my base or you really underestimated it at 30 percent!

Hahahaha! My caterer was funny, “You sure you want to buy more? What you have should already be more than enough.”

Trust me.” :D

We still came close to running out, so I was glad I made the adjustment (in all honesty I’m not sure it was 30% - we just spitballed a few extra cases of beer and a few more bottles of wine).

We’ve had the discussion before, but DPE’s are compensated exceptionally well. They used to be limited to two applicants per day, not sure if that’s still the way it is, but even so, at $500 a pop ($1000/daily) isn’t bad money by any means.

We’ve had the discussion before, but DPE’s are compensated exceptionally well. They used to be limited to two applicants per day, not sure if that’s still the way it is, but even so, at $500 a pop ($1000/daily) isn’t bad money by any means.

Yep I just took my IFR check ride and it was $500 for about 3 hours work. Not bad for a Sunday morning flight.

Yep I just took my IFR check ride and it was $500 for about 3 hours work. Not bad for a Sunday morning flight.
Not at all.

Imho, it’s the ideal gig to find yourself in.

He’s got the nice house on the Florida coast with the boat dock, fishing boat, and a smoking hot 22 year old girlfriend.
Sure, but when his wife finds out about the girlfriend he'll lose the house and the boat.

Sure, but when his wife finds out about the girlfriend he'll lose the house and the boat.

He was the only pilot at the wedding smart enough to avoid marriage!

Back