The big move!

vkhosid

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
94V
Good morning my esteemed pilot friends...

The time has finally come: My wife and I are moving from the sunny Cali coast to the other end of the world (Jersey). By the looks of things we will be landing in the Hoboken. With that, I need to find a place to rent a plane to get my fix. I have spent a total of about 5 days in that area prior to the move, so I have no idea what options there are.

This is where you fine gentlemen and ladies come in...I'd love to hear suggestions of where one can go to rent reasonably priced aircraft....specifically C172, as that's what I've driven in the past.

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.

Hoboken is kind of a cool town but I think you're going to have drive a bit to find a rental plane. Looks like Caldwell might have some rentals available. Not sure if there's anything closer.

Right out of one tax nanny state ****hole and into an even bigger tax nanny state even worse ****hole....good luck.

On the bright side at least you dont have to pump your own $3.00/gal gas, so youve got that going for ya.

:D

Right out of one tax nanny state ****hole and into an even bigger tax nanny state even worse ****hole....good luck.

On the bright side at least you dont have to pump your own $3.00/gal gas, so youve got that going for ya.

No, Jersey is generally considered to be the armpit. Not that other body part.

You'll be driving through all the states you should have found employment instead. You'll never know what livin' in free America is like...... I feel sorry for you. Seriously. :frown:

There once was a girl from Hoboken, who claimed that her...…. errr, never mind.

Easy on the CA bashing, ChemGuy. I'll gladly pay the weather tax to live in a beautiful state.

I won't recipro-bash Michigan because that only adds to the negativity, and I'm a positive person by nature. :)

Two Harbors.jpg

Ignoring all the inane NJ and CA bashing, NJ is actually pretty chock filled with airports. Closest to you is Linden but there is no rentals afaik, only a flying club (http://richmondpilots.org). I can personally vouch for Somerset KSMQ and Solberg N51 which are nice, small uncontrolled fields in Central NJ but are maybe a bit far. Closer to you is Caldwell KCDW which I have not rented from but does offer rentals and KMMU which is quite busy with bizjet traffic and expensive.

Easy on the CA bashing, ChemGuy. I'll gladly pay the weather tax to live in a beautiful state.

I won't recipro-bash Michigan because that only adds to the negativity, and I'm a positive person by nature. :)

View attachment 77377

Having lived there for 35 years.........

Ignorance is bliss, so the saying goes. An animal that knows not of the world beyond its cage most certainly finds comfort in its confinement.

I was once relocated for job to Jersey (20 yrs ago). I stayed one year. My wife always says “we weren’t relocated...we were SENTENCED to Jersey!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was forced to live in South Jersey for 18 months. I made the best of it by trying out all the pizza joints within driving distance. The pizza there was better than anywhere in New York.

There are many grass strips and cool small airports once you get South of Camden. Just don't wander off into the jungle...

View attachment 77377
Agree.

Trying to compare the armpit of Hoboken, New Jersey to the beautiful Golden State is such an apples to oranges comparison. I really hate to be negative, but it’s just the truth.

Good morning my esteemed pilot friends...

The time has finally come: My wife and I are moving from the sunny Cali coast to the other end of the world (Jersey). By the looks of things we will be landing in the Hoboken. With that, I need to find a place to rent a plane to get my fix. I have spent a total of about 5 days in that area prior to the move, so I have no idea what options there are.

This is where you fine gentlemen and ladies come in...I'd love to hear suggestions of where one can go to rent reasonably priced aircraft....specifically C172, as that's what I've driven in the past.

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.

See post #13. One out of 17 so far has answered the question

I was born in NJ... escaped at the age of 4. Unfortunately, I escaped to NY. Currently plotting our next escape, many many years later.

In all seriousness, there are some beautiful places in NJ. I'd be more specific, but I don't want the NJ government to find out about them.

Having lived there for 35 years.........

Ignorance is bliss, so the saying goes. An animal that knows not of the world beyond its cage most certainly finds comfort in its confinement.

No ignorance here. Actually, I've travelled quite a bit throughout the U.S. and internationally, and the more I travel, the more I like California.

Sorry it didn't work out for you. ;)

I like NYS, at least most of the areas where I've lived. The Adirondaks are amazing, the North Country is beautiful, I'm a winter guy so the climate is awesome to me, the central part of the state has enough small cities to do fun city things, but you can be out in the rolling hills hiking, climbing, backpacking, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, etc. in a matter of minutes, there's lakes to sail on, lake and ocean beaches, we have all four seasons at their absolute best... very cold and lots of snow in winter, very warm and sunny in summer, great fall colors, a vibrant spring (OK... I hate spring.. nothing but mud and black flies... but my wife loves spring). It's a great place to live.

It's the people in the government I can't stand. Ruins the whole thing. I'd probably feel the same way about California.. never been there, but I bet there's stunning areas. I've got no use, personally, for large cities in general, but I'd love to see the other parts. I could never live there. Now, Texas, I could live there... but I hate the climate. LOVED the people.

No ignorance here. Actually, I've travelled quite a bit throughout the U.S. and internationally, and the more I travel, the more I like California.

Sorry it didn't work out for you. ;)

Ahhh....

I see now. You are speaking about traveling, not living. Yes, in fact I was in Cali for two weeks last month and had a blast. Saw my friends, ate some great food, enjoyed my old haunts. I travelled there and left as well.

But living their again? Naw.... I’ve tasted freedom. In fact, the only way I was able to buy my own plane was after I moved out. And that was on the same gross income. A dollar has far more value to a mans life when he realizes the suits have been talking half of it behind his back. If you are OK with that, well, OK. Wrap yourself in the comfort of that California flag. But also realize you would be able to live so much more by trading it in for one of 40 other flags available to you, like I did.

I live in Hoboken, so when you get here, hit me up and we'll grab lunch. La Isla is my favorite cheap Cuban restaurant ("The Cuban" is my favorite expensive Cuban restaurant). Lots of good South American, Chinese, Thai, Italian and Pizza.

I fly with skywagon club out of Morristown (KMMU). It's the cheapest, but the 172 airplanes are 70s models with zero frills. Well, one has an engine monitor and a 180 hp engine, but other wise no frills. Scheduling is done via an answering machine which was also likely built in the 70s. There are 3 172s, (N M L models) , a 182 and a Mooney. I'm not flying today because all the planes are taken.

The folks at Air Fleet at Caldwell (KCDW) are amazingly accommodating and their 172s are model S, R (maybe a P); some with G1000. https://www.airfleettraining.com/ When I go for my commercial, I'm likely to use them. They even have an after-hours technique to hand out airplanes after they close. The chief instructor gave me his card and wrote his cell phone number on it and said "Call me if you ever have an issue". The woman at the front desk is very nice and helpful. I just wish I could remember her name!

I don't know much about paramus flying club, http://www.flyingclub.org/ other than it was the most expensive of the clubs I researched when I ended up with Skywagon 2 years ago.

I tried out Fischer Aviation and had them cancel on me twice after I had driven out to the Caldwell airport. They didn't have the courtesy to call me in advance. https://www.fischeraviation.com/ Once they wouldn't let me take the plane I had reserved because of the VIP TFR (at the time for the pope) (now TFRs are a more frequent issue due to the POTUS). He didn't communicate a better reason than "I don't want my plane to get stuck out of the 30 mile ring." As if ATC wouldn't let me return!

I sold my truck and motorcycle after living in Hoboken for about a year. It's cheaper to uber or zipcar than keep vehicles that sit most of the time. When I uber to Morristown , it costs about $40 each way. Lots of Zipcars in Hoboken, so that's a good option. Also Hoboken recently acquired the Lime Scooter program for quick trips around Hoboken. I love em.

Let me know if you have any Hoboken questions and see you when you get here! Safe travels!

I still miss flying in NJ! It’s all a long time ago but I learned to fly and race sailplanes in lovely Jersey. Finished up my plane ticket at Caldwell.

Sometimes you have to be where the money is so you can finance this outrageously expensive pursuit.

Couldn’t drag me back there for anything on this planet but it was a stepping stone to where I wanted to be. Enjoy Hoboken and it’s surrounds while you must.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

View attachment 77377
I'll say MI sucks...but it's where work and family merged so I'm here.

And on CA...I'm from there lived there many years. And yes the area is amazing and it's not the weather tax. It's the effing idiots running the place I can't stand. I left 13 years ago and its only gotten worse.

I hope you enjoy Jersey and maybe having the CA mentality ( I'll let the government tell me what I can do) will help. None of those places are for me though.

Have fun causing moving, especially that far, effing sucks. I've done it 2 or 3 times and it gets worse every time

Wrap yourself in the comfort of that California flag. But also realize you would be able to live so much more by trading it in for one of 40 other flags available to you, like I did.
There are career fields you can work in and get a job anywhere. There are other career fields where your choices might be limited to 4 or 5 companies. If those companies are all located on the west coast and in the northeast, then living for pennies on the dollar in bumf*ck Alabama isn't really an option unless you want to abandon your field and be a nightshift Walmart manager.

I'll say MI sucks...but it's where work and family merged so I'm here.

And on CA...I'm from there lived there many years. And yes the area is amazing and it's not the weather tax. It's the effing idiots running the place I can't stand. I left 13 years ago and its only gotten worse.

I hope you enjoy Jersey and maybe having the CA mentality ( I'll let the government tell me what I can do) will help. None of those places are for me though.

Have fun causing moving, especially that far, effing sucks. I've done it 2 or 3 times and it gets worse every time

I lived in California for 46 years. Cost of living, in particular taxes is why I don't anymore. I never felt 'unfree' there. What things couldn't you do in California that you can in Michigan?

There are career fields you can work in and get a job anywhere. There are other career fields where your choices might be limited to 4 or 5 companies. If those companies are all located on the west coast and in the northeast, then living for pennies on the dollar in bumf*ck Alabama isn't really an option unless you want to abandon your field and be a nightshift Walmart manager.

Fweeouuwww.... At least you didn't say Arkansas! :cheers:

And to be fair I should note that working in a field with a limited number of job options can go both ways. I was born and raised in one of the places so many here seem to love to hate and I now live in fly-over country due to a company merger. My wife wanted to stay in her field. Once the merger happened, that wasn't going to be possible living where we were living and pretty much all of the choices in rural fly-over country.

No doubt about it, we have a much swankier house and many more toys than we would have had living on the East coast. I also live and work among many more people who are very open about their hate of those who don't look like them or vote like them or observe religion like them. I'm not complaining about that, its just an observation that goes to show no place is without down sides.

Agree.

Trying to compare the armpit of Hoboken, New Jersey to the beautiful Golden State is such an apples to oranges comparison. I really hate to be negative, but it’s just the truth.

no, it should be compared to that wonderful place called fresno, or bakersfield...............

Back