Watch for IFR

Absolutely PERFECT. Thank you! I should have been more "pacific", guys. I have my IR ride coming up and I want a watch so that I don't have to mess with a kitchen timer, or deal with it if he "fails" my ipad/iphone, etc. I just want a simple solution for timing holds, VOR approaches, etc.

Thanks everyone for taking the time.

Here's a Q&A from the AOPA...

Question: Per FAR 91.205(d)(6), for IFR flight a clock displaying hours, minutes, and seconds with a sweep-second pointer or digital presentation is required. Does the clock have to be installed in the aircraft, or can the pilot meet the requirements of the regulation by wearing a wristwatch?”

Answer: The clock must be installed in the aircraft, and no, a wristwatch does not meet the regulatory requirement.

In other words, a watch is nice, but there has to be a clock installed in the aircraft that meets the requirements.

Here's a Q&A from the AOPA...

Question: Per FAR 91.205(d)(6), for IFR flight a clock displaying hours, minutes, and seconds with a sweep-second pointer or digital presentation is required. Does the clock have to be installed in the aircraft, or can the pilot meet the requirements of the regulation by wearing a wristwatch?”

Answer: The clock must be installed in the aircraft, and no, a wristwatch does not meet the regulatory requirement.

In other words, a watch is nice, but there has to be a clock installed in the aircraft that meets the requirements.
Oh shoot. We have one, but it doesn't work at all times. This is an issue. Thanks for posting this!

Oh shoot. We have one, but it doesn't work at all times. This is an issue. Thanks for posting this!

There has to be a clock installed in the aircraft. That doesn't mean you can't legally time your approach with your watch.

Last edited:
There has to be a clock installed in the aircraft That doesn't mean you can't legally time your approach with your watch.
But for a checkride I would imagine that clock has to be functioning, no?

And yes, "pilot watches" moved from useful instrument to jewelry long ago.

P.S. having said that, I'm wearing a Breitling Aerospace right this moment, so yeah... :D

Old timers tell of a day when a Rolex GMT really did help the airline captains. But yeah, dunno when really haha.

https://bezelandbarrel.com/the-rolex-gmt-pan-am-and-rolex-developed-a-work-of-genius-together/

I wasn't flying with Pan Am, but did with the Army as an instrument flight examiner for many years starting in the Vietnam era. I picked up a GMT and used it, a lot. Having Zulu always visible was very handy, particularly when figuring times for position reports (remember, this was way back when). The bezel was easily rotated to do quick and dirty timing estimates, too. Since there was no such thing as led lights and digital displays, the radium dial being visible in the dark was useful. Finally, the sweep second hand had a big radium dot on it you could use to time procedure turns. And not to mention the swagger factor. In my humble opinion the GMT Master is the sexiest watch ever made, but there's something strange about it. If not worn by an old line pilot or military aviator, it seems phony. I keep a low profile and don't even wear mine anymore.

That wonderful old Rolex marked the time on my wrist almost forty years. It witnessed at close hand (!) the moments of agony and ecstasy, terror and triumph, in the sky and on land, and even submerged happily in open water. The tales it could tell from all that time it recorded!

Then one day after it had sat in its formerly unaccustomed spot on my dresser, I noticed the hands had stopped at 10:10, with the second hand pointing exactly at 12. There it rested, undisturbed. Supernatural, if you want to know the truth.

Of course I had been dallying with an Omega X-33 and other “high tech” watches, even a Timex or two, all for various purposes. And now of course I have an Apple Watch, alternating with a Garmin, to track exercise, heart rate, mileage, sleep patterns etc etc. Everything but the fundamentals for which I wore the wings and plied the skies in my youth.

I mentioned this eerie event to my old buddy watchmaker down in Dallas, who had overhauled the watch for three of its four decades in my service. He said watchmakers have a saying: “10-10 on the side”. Saddest thing I ever heard. My old faithful GMT had been put out to pasture, but marked its final moment with precision, and well-deserved dignity.

My wife bought me a Garmin D2 Charlie for Christmas when they first came out. I wouldn’t have bought it but really like it. It has every feature you could need, including a VFR gps with moving map that will take flight plans.

The only real thing I use it for when flying IFR is the altitude alerts, 500’, reaching or leaving a specified altitude, and a warning to use check oxygen at 10,000’.

I play with the other features as entertainment when I get bored, but don’t want to take my eyes off the panel to look at my watch when I’m in hard IFR. The panel mounted clock and the timer mounted to the passenger yoke are used for timing when I’m really IFR.

In theory I can navigate with it but the steam gauges, IPAD, Garmin 430, and the phone would all have to be out before I’d try. Even then the goal would be to get into VFR as fast as possible and I wouldn’t want to bet on a positive outcome if it took long to get to VFR conditions.

Ah, good, the old pilot watch debate. :)

If you want pure functionality and ruggedness, and nothing else, Casio G-Shock. I have one. I use it regularly, especially when I'm outdoors. I also wear it when flying, usually airman certification activities in little airplanes.

If you want a beautiful piece of equipment -- "male jewelry," let's be honest -- which is also highly functional in an airplane, Omega Speedmaster. It's as close to a perfect watch for flying as has ever been made. They have been worn by pilots for many decades. I actually have two - the "Moon Watch" as well as the "Broad Arrow."

The Speedmaster is a no-nonsense watch, pretty much bulletproof. Other than a "tachymetre" imprinted on the bezel, it's nothing more than a standard watch with a chrono. Everything you need for flying. I've owned mine for 21 years. It's about to go in for its first-ever overhaul as it's starting to lose a few seconds each day. It goes back to Omega for that. It looks brand new... these things really don't "wear." Just get it cleaned once every five years or so.

The Broad Arrow is a Speedmaster with a zulu hand and and a date function. I had always wanted a zulu hand, so when the Broad Arrow came out years, I actually joined a wait list for it. It took a year and a half for it to be delivered. I don't think the watch ended up being very popular because it doesn't seem to be in the inventory anymore. Maybe one day its relative scarcity will prove to enhance its value.

The funny things about "fancy" watches and all the negative comments they tend to garner is that, as far as investments go, they can be pretty solid! I paid $2000 or so for my brand new Speedmaster in the late nineties, and as a used watch it would go for $3500 or so today on the open market. I could get $4k for it on trade for another watch. Yes, there are far better investments out there, but this is a pleasure buy.

I have owned a number of other watches. Among them were a Rolex Daytona, and an IWC Pilot's Watch. Same thing. I owned them and sold them either for what I paid, or a bit more. I don't think I've ever actually lost any money on a watch. If I did, it would be pennies on the dollar. I could liquidate my current two watches, my Omegas, and be right back where I started, even accounting for inflation, or maybe a little ahead. One could do far worse. When it comes to the finances of watches, I just view it as an exercise in parking cash. You're not losing any money, you're just storing it... on your wrist.

This is definitely not true of all watches. Breitling is an example. Breitling's quality has significantly improved in the last decade, but they do not hold value. Breitling is still battling an image problem -- namely, they started their company selling watches with high end "looks" but with quartz movements. Their watches cater to an image-based buyer. I've never thought of Breitling as an aviation watch manufacturer, I've just thought of them as an aviation watch marketing agency. Most of the extra features in the aviation watches they produce are not very useful in real world applications, for most. (There are exceptions.) A truly good pilot's watch is pretty basic, easy to read and operate, and arguably has at least a chrono in addition to basic hour/minute.

It's all fun to discuss and debate. There's no right or wrong. But I've never used an E6B built into a watch. Why would I? I have my iPhone with the "my E6B" app in my pocket. Far easier to use. Let the watch be beautiful AND functional. Adding a ton of doodaddery onto the thing doesn't make it more functional. Makes it less so, in my humble opinion.

And one last comment, for the inevitable one-liners from folks who just think the whole thing is ridiculous, that is a perfectly valid view. But flying is both and art and a science, and to watch aficionados, watches are art. The movements are spectacular, hand-made creations with incredible precision and they're enjoyable to watch in action. In the same way that the human race celebrates beautiful music, beautiful art, and beautiful machines, those of us who love watches do the same when we strap one of these beauties onto our wrists.

My first wife bought me a Breitling as a present for getting my PPL. About five years later my second wife bought me a Hanhart Admiral just to get the Breitling off my wrist.

Funny thing - they both have the same movement internally!

They are both jewelry, not tools for pilots. IMO.
My first wife bought me a Breitling as a present for getting my PPL. About five years later my second wife bought me a Hanhart Admiral just to get the Breitling off my wrist.

Funny thing - they both have the same movement internally!

They are both jewelry, not tools for pilots. IMO.

That's a terrible thing to say about your two wives. They are neither jewelry, nor tools...they are human beings! But yes, we all DO have basically the same internal movements.

;)

If you want a beautiful piece of equipment -- "male jewelry," let's be honest -- which is also highly functional in an airplane, Omega Speedmaster. It's as close to a perfect watch for flying as has ever been made. They have been worn by pilots for many decades. I actually have two - the "Moon Watch" as well as the "Broad Arrow."

The Speedmaster is a no-nonsense watch, pretty much bulletproof. Other than a "tachymetre" imprinted on the bezel, it's nothing more than a standard watch with a chrono. Everything you need for flying. I've owned mine for 21 years. It's about to go in for its first-ever overhaul as it's starting to lose a few seconds each day. It goes back to Omega for that. It looks brand new... these things really don't "wear." Just get it cleaned once every five years or so.

You are absolutely right, Ryan. Speedmaster is the only worthy competitor to the Rolex GMT, no doubt. The first reason I didn't get one was lack of a date function, which is nice to have back in old days in the boonies with no electrons. You lose track of what day it is, and need that to fill in the logbook.

Friend of mine has an old Daytona. He could buy a very nice car with it.

The Broad Arrow is a Speedmaster with a zulu hand and and a date function. I had always wanted a zulu hand, so when the Broad Arrow came out years, I actually joined a wait list for it. It took a year and a half for it to be delivered. I don't think the watch ended up being very popular because it doesn't seem to be in the inventory anymore. Maybe one day its relative scarcity will prove to enhance its value.

Unfortunately I think you are right. I don’t see any current Broad Arrows (‘57) with a zulu option. Bummer.

Back