Dorian - Here we blow again....

I’d call in a few more cases to share for clean up help! ;)

I’d have asked for a better beer. What’s the fascination with Shiner in Texas?

I’d drink it, but if you’re ordering a delivery...

If a hurricane ever makes it to me, you’re all gone. I’ll just say a prayer for your souls.

LOL.

A Publix made Hurricane decorated cakes and some people are already offended by it. Check out social media for excellent comments by sane people.

Hahaha.
Living in the mid-west, I'm always amazed that they attribute a couple of deaths to the depleted hurricanes making it this far as just storms. The newspaper usually reads something like, "...even two deaths in Canada are attributed to the remnants of the hurricane..." say what?

I don't understand why people live in areas where hurricanes occur regularly...

Same here. I was in Florida for Wilma and Katrina, I hope to never have to deal with that again. We get some bad snow storms, but nothing like a Cat 3+ hurricane, and the insanity that people display when one is coming. We have gotten the remnants of hurricanes and tropical storms, but I am far enough inland that it isn't something I worry about.

Same here. I was in Florida for Wilma and Katrina, I hope to never have to deal with that again. We get some bad snow storms, but nothing like a Cat 3+ hurricane, and the insanity that people display when one is coming. We have gotten the remnants of hurricanes and tropical storms, but I am far enough inland that it isn't something I worry about.
Snow storms kill more people than hurricanes do.

Please show your math.

And I don't worry about dying in a hurricane, but I would worry about long term damage to infrastructure or my property.
Don't have time to find you proof, I'm getting ready to evacuate. It's fairly common knowledge that loss of power and inability to get food or help during snow storms (which are far more frequent than hurricanes, though less powerful) kills far more.

Living in the mid-west, I'm always amazed that they attribute a couple of deaths to the depleted hurricanes making it this far as just storms. The newspaper usually reads something like, "...even two deaths in Canada are attributed to the remnants of the hurricane..." say what?

I forget which hurricane, but something like 14 people died in the mountains of NC due to torrential rains from the remnants of the storm. Flash floods, mudslides and rockslides are all potential killers in the mountains.

Don't have time to find you proof, I'm getting ready to evacuate. It's fairly common knowledge that loss of power and inability to get food or help during snow storms (which are far more frequent than hurricanes, though less powerful) kills far more.

It isn't common knowledge up here. I've lived in New England for 37 of my 40 years, and the longest stretch of time when I was without power was when I was living in Ft Lauderdale and Wilma came through.

Anyway, this is silly to argue about, good luck with the storm!

I don't understand why people live in areas where hurricanes occur regularly...

Each quadrant of the United States poses the risk for some type of natural phenomena. Snow storms, tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes and alien invasions are all possibilities.

Wife and I rode out hurricane Sandy on our boat in Norfolk. We came through relatively undamaged. My big fenders between the dock and boat rubbed the boot stripe off. Docks came close to floating over their pilings, that would have been serious.

Good luck down there.

Will probably postpone our planned flight to Cedar Key early next week....

I forget which hurricane, but something like 14 people died in the mountains of NC due to torrential rains from the remnants of the storm. Flash floods, mudslides and rockslides are all potential killers in the mountains.
I remember that, and with rains like that, although not still technically a hurricane, one can understand why it would be linked. But in Ohio, or Canada? Just a storm / front at that point.

Miami here. Never like to wish a storm on someone else. My friends at KLNA are very concerned but you do what you can do and hope for the best.

Baloney. Lots of dumb stuff is common knowledge. We of the North know how to deal with snow. Might be some Floridians who get killed by snow if they venture up this way, that I could see.

Keeping you folks down there in my prayers...my daughter is in Ft Pierce, about to experience her first hurricane.

My first real Hurricane was Wilma when I was in Ft Lauderdale. It was "only" a Cat II when it hit, but I will be the first to admit that I was ****ing scared ****less. I would rather not repeat that ever again. The aftermath was scary too, I was not prepared at all, and for a few days all I had to eat was peanut butter from the jar. I now keep a supply of enough food and water to keep myself and my wife going for a week. She gives me crap about being a "prepper" but she didn't experience what I did.

I live in Sarasota, about an hour south of Tampa. They downgraded the storm at 11 AM to a category 3 when it makes landfall . The way people are freaking out you'd think we had a category 5 out in the bay.

It's just stupid. East coast people, I can see the need to prepare, west coast, c'mon man...it's gonna be a lot of rain and some wind. Some really major overreactions down here..

When Irma came through that was way worse than this..

Got a case of beer and just gonna watch the trees waving in the breeze..

I live in Sarasota, about an hour south of Tampa. They downgraded the storm at 11 AM to a category 3 when it makes landfall . The way people are freaking out you'd think we had a category 5 out in the bay.

It's just stupid. East coast people, I can see the need to prepare, west coast, c'mon man...it's gonna be a lot of rain and some wind. Some really major overreactions down here..

Probably. But maybe not.

I'm bugging out because my company needs me to work the weekend and next week without interruption. Ain't gonna happen if I'm here.

Sorry, you have zero clue as to what the west coast of Florida will experience with Dorian.

Eddie, I've lived through 25 years of hurricanes in FL. I think I have a better idea of what is going to happen then you do at this point. That's not to say that SOME people will have issues, but it ain't going to be folks on the west coast. Irma almost directly hit where I live and we watched movies all night, never lost power, never had any issues. Lot of rain, lot of wind.

Each quadrant of the United States poses the risk for some type of natural phenomena. Snow storms, tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes and alien invasions are all possibilities.
Yep.. always funny when someone admonishes someone else for living in a certain place because of risk "X" .. it also shows the human psychology factor of people getting accustomed to their own local risks etc and finding others foreign

Having lived in San Diego since 2009 I can say the threat of an earthquake here is just about nil..

It I *had* to move from here then given the choice between New England and Florida I would pick Florida. My brother has been in the Palm Beach area since 1996 and has never evacuated or left because of a hurricane.. they board up, stock up, and get cozy inside watching movies. I actually don't think they've lost power a single time.. and they will go long stretches without the threat of a single hurricane

When I lived in Boston, it seems every snow "event" would shut the city down, you would lose power, and it would be car accidents galore on the freeway.. I will gladly take an occasional hurricane over 7 months of that "wintry mix" nonsense every year.. not to mention you can actually use the water in Florida. Warm, clear, ocean water is absolutely beautiful and perfect for all sorts of boating, sailing, spear fishing, diving, etc

When we lived in Toronto and visited my sister in Montreal often it seems they actually do know how to handle the snow.. you wouldn't get the mass hysterics on the news media and life just continues as usual despite the snow

Yep.. always funny when someone admonishes someone else for living in a certain place because of risk "X" .. it also shows the human psychology factor of people getting accustomed to their own local risks etc and finding others foreign
Isn’t that the truth! I have a few family members who are very alarmist and happen to live in Florida. When the series of earthquakes occurred in California a few weeks back, it was instantly ‘why they wouldn’t want to live there’ and they were concerned for us, because we were scheduled to visit the LA area shortly after.

It never once occurred to them that they live in FL where hurricanes are more common and often times more fatal than earthquakes in frequency. There’s a reason that they live there and I live here. Just saying! ;)

Personally, I’ll take blizzards and tornadoes over hurricanes...tornadoes only take an hour before you find out whether you’ve got a house left, and blizzards are just an excuse to hunker down at home and be antisocial.

My sister moved to Panama City just over a year ago; 3 or 4 weeks before Michael hit. They went to bed expecting Michael to be a Cat 1 or Cat 2. They awoke in the morning to find that it was a Cat 4-5 and headed straight at them. They grabbed a few items and their dog and headed to Atlanta. Traffic was absolutely horrible because so many people felt like you did, right up until the last minute.

Snow storms kill more people than hurricanes do.

Please show your math.

And I don't worry about dying in a hurricane, but I would worry about long term damage to infrastructure or my property.

No math but just a fun story...

We had over 100 (!) vehicles stuck with people in them our last blizzard on the road that leads to my house from the city. All rural dwellers who know better who stayed in town too long because they wouldn’t tell their bosses they had to leave.

The State had to send out tracked vehicles and the National Guard to get them. My rural neighbors. I was ashamed and embarrassed for them.

The photos of them all helping get 100 vehicles out of the snow drifts with a front end loader and a chain were entertaining as I sipped coffee at home on my third day. LOL.

Is there typically a mass flight school exodus a day or two before the storm to clear them out of harm's way? I can't imagine a PA-28 or C-172 with just wheel chocks and some tie downs would tolerate a CAT 4 that well... the plane will basically already be at maneuvering speed while stationary on the ground.

Just got the notification from CNBC that Dorian has been upgraded to a Cat 3 and still predicted to rise to a Cat 4 before making landfall in Florida.

My thoughts are with you all who are in its path.

Is there typically a mass flight school exodus a day or two before the storm to clear them out of harm's way? I can't imagine a PA-28 or C-172 with just wheel chocks and some tie downs would tolerate a CAT 4 that well... the plane will basically already be at maneuvering speed while stationary on the ground.
Before Irma hit, Embry Riddle evacuated their fleet. A conga line of aircraft was seen heading north on flightaware.

Be safe everyone!

Baloney. Lots of dumb stuff is common knowledge. We of the North know how to deal with snow. Might be some Floridians who get killed by snow if they venture up this way, that I could see.

This doesn't completely answer the question, but between 1970 and 2004, 3,612 people died due to Winter Weather. 304 died because of hurricanes and tropical storms.

https://www.prb.org/disasters-by-type/

My sister moved to Panama City just over a year ago; 3 or 4 weeks before Michael hit. They went to bed expecting Michael to be a Cat 1 or Cat 2. They awoke in the morning to find that it was a Cat 4-5 and headed straight at them. They grabbed a few items and their dog and headed to Atlanta. Traffic was absolutely horrible because so many people felt like you did, right up until the last minute.

Never evacuated, never will for that exact reason. Florida drivers suck enough as it is, put enough on the road in an emergency and absolute chaos ensues. People go from horrible to full retard on the road in an emergency.

@Tantalum mostly it's people leaving due to work reasons like @Salty or if a mandatory evacuation for low lying areas for storm surge, etc. You also get the extra special paranoid people that thing their house will blow away. Florida houses are required to be hurricane resistant. Windows, doors, etc. We (read me) have BEEN through this, a LOT. A few people I know do that though, fly to Alabama or Georgia for the night, especially if they have planes tied down.

It may seem as if I am being nonchalant or to people reading that I don't understand the risks, but quite the contrary. Sarasota (and Tampa) are the two of the safest places in Florida hurricane-wise. Due to how the winds blow and where we are actually located, even if a storm comes close, the biggest thing we have to worry about is flooding in most cases and that is IF you are in a flood zone. Flying debris can also pose a problem. Florida people (who have been here a while) know how to handle hurricanes..we know when one is a problem and when it isn't and where it needs to be to actually BE a risk. The newbies and the paranoid are the ones that overreact and act like the world is ending, those are the ones that when they are no where near the danger zone will buy up all the gas, buy all the water, etc because they haven't been through it.

I am not in a flood zone. I've had category 1,2,3,4 and 5 hurricanes blow by in all directions and head on and weathered them all. If I was on the east coast, sure I might be doing a few extra special things right now (like I did with Irma) but being on the west coast I can safely say, this is NO big deal for me, and probably no big deal to anyone west of I-75.

Last edited:
This doesn't completely answer the question, but between 1970 and 2004, 3,612 people died due to Winter Weather. 304 died because of hurricanes and tropical storms.

https://www.prb.org/disasters-by-type/
I feel like it’s sort of an unfair comparison. Winter weather affects a higher number of the population at large than hurricanes do, so naturally, more fatalities will occur as a result.

I feel like it’s sort of an unfair comparison. Winter weather affects a higher number of the population at large than hurricanes do, so naturally, more fatalities will occur as a result.
I"m not sure what you arguing about. The claim that was disputed was that more people are killed by winter weather than by hurricanes. Do you agree with that?

And THAT claim resulted from someone asking why people continue to live in hurricane prone areas. So what does fair have to do with more people dying because there are more people living in winter climates?

If I were to move out of Florida, it would be due to the oppressive heat and humidity several months of the year, not because of a few random days of hurricanes. Hurricanes can be anticipated and planned for.

I’d also be interested to know the number of heat fatalities for comparison.
This little ****ing contest is really ridiculous. Let's just say that everyone everywhere will die from something. Even if that something is boredom in Iowa or embarrassment in certain West Coast states.

Back