Silicon Valley Area Parks

Lowflynjack

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jack Fleetwood
I'm in Cupertino today and may have some spare time. My hotel is in Milpitas. I'm looking for a park I can check out in a reasonable amount of time. Big Basin Redwoods State Park looks awesome, but also looks like quite a drive, especially with winding roads and with the fact that it's already noon, I'm thinking something closer.

Any suggestions?

I did ask the locals... they told me to go the Great Mall! :D No thanks.

There are lots to choose from. A couple that come immediately to mind are Alum Rock Park in a canyon next to San Jose, and Rancho San Antonio Open Space Preserve in the hills next to Cupertino. You can also drive nearly to the top of Mount Umunhum in the Sierra Azul Open Space preserve, with a short walk to the top.

There are lots to choose from. A couple that come immediately to mind are Alum Rock Park in a canyon next to San Jose, and Rancho San Antonio Open Space Preserve in the hills next to Cupertino. You can also drive nearly to the top of Mount Umunhum in the Sierra Azul Open Space preserve, with a short walk to the top.
Thank you! I come out here occasionally. I'm glad to know there's a nice park this close to Cupertino.

Big Basin isn't too far.

Of course you could jump over to Half Moon Bay and do some Bo-fishin'
I may end up making the trip out there. I really would like to see it.

This gives an idea of what I mean by "lots to choose from":

Parks near Cupertino.png

I would have suggested Castle Rock, closer, some nice trails. Hard to go wrong in the area, camped with my son's Boy Scout Troop in several of them.

Since you are in Milpitas, just drive up Calaveras Road to Ed Levin Park, up on the hill you can see from the valley... Great place to fly kites.

If you want to drive on a cool, curvy road, just keep going on Calaveras up over the hill and check out the "Little Yosemite" area on the other side of the reservoir.

That road and Highway 9 (Big Basin Way) are where I learned how to ride a motorcycle fast without crashing.

I ended up going to Big Basin. Of course my cameras are back in Texas, but that place is awesome. I’m coming back for sure. It was so peaceful.

I ended up going to Big Basin. Of course my cameras are back in Texas, but that place is awesome. I’m coming back for sure. It was so peaceful.

I grew up in that area, before it was turned into a hyper-expensive third world country and those roads were where I learned to ride a bike, drive a car and race a motorcycle!

All my friends were cyclists, and we would ride to the top of Saratoga gap on a whim. We could do the whole mountain in just over an hour from Hakone Gardens. I can't imagine being in that good of condition nowadays!

Continuing over the gap into Santa Cruz is a treat also. The trees covering the road changing from Redwoods to Eucalyptus was a pretty cool transition...

Next time go just a little bit to the South and do the Loma Prieta tour. Very scenic!

It's a really great spot, if you hike up the hills you see down to the coast or back into the valley.

Good time to go, off season and mid week, must have been empty.

I grew up in that area, before it was turned into a hyper-expensive third world country and those roads were where I learned to ride a bike, drive a car and race a motorcycle!

All my friends were cyclists, and we would ride to the top of Saratoga gap on a whim. We could do the whole mountain in just over an hour from Hakone Gardens. I can't imagine being in that good of condition nowadays!

Continuing over the gap into Santa Cruz is a treat also. The trees covering the road changing from Redwoods to Eucalyptus was a pretty cool transition...

Next time go just a little bit to the South and do the Loma Prieta tour. Very scenic!
I went in from the direction of Boulder Creek. New pavement, narrow and very winding road. It was incredibly beautiful. I went out to the North and was surprised to see a motor home and two cars along the way that had broken down and were covered in graffiti, the windows were broken and they were shot up.

It's a really great spot, if you hike up the hills you see down to the coast or back into the valley.

Good time to go, off season and mid week, must have been empty.
Fairly empty, quiet, and what I needed after a stressful week.

I went out to the North and was surprised to see a motor home and two cars along the way that had broken down and were covered in graffiti, the windows were broken and they were shot up.

As I said earlier:

I grew up in that area, before it was turned into a hyper-expensive third world country...

Back