Treetop Landing in Idaho

iamtheari

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Ari
This was back in April but I just heard about it and didn't find a prior thread. PA-18 stuck at the top of the tree. Firefighter climbed 60 feet up to rescue the pilot. Evidently, they tried to use a helicopter to lift the plane off the tree but it was skewered in place, so they ended up cutting the tree down with the plane still stuck to it. Here's a link to the story with the most details I have found so far.

https://pressfrom.info/uk/news/offb...-plane-that-crash-landed-atop-idaho-tree.html

A pilot who was trying to crash-land this week in an Idaho field instead brought his small plane to rest at the top of a 60-foot (18-meter) tree, officials said.

I hate it when I am trying to crash-land and fail......

If that pilot was my friend his new nickname would be Woody or Toothpick.

One of my favorite pictures.....

N6487J-inTree.jpg

N6487J-inTree.jpg

Some people...they just need to draw attention.
Everybody else puts them on a steel pole or concrete pedestal.

N6487J-inTree.jpg
When I was training for my CFI at Santa Barbara CA in 1970, the FBO where I was training had an early AA-1 on the rental line.

One July day a young rental pilot opened the Yankee's canopy all the way in flight, ignoring the placarded limit. The canopy came off the rails and lodged against the horizontal tail. The airplane came down into a stand of sturdy old oak trees. The cockpit structure protected the occupant well; the only injury - a broken leg - occurred when he tried to get out of the airplane and fell out of the tree.

http://ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviat...-6e40-472a-8d0f-1b1c7be9fee3&pgno=1&pgsize=50

Last edited:
I told my friend it's people like him that caused this. He's one of the guys who still says tree and fife instead of three and five.

This guy was cleared to land on 'one tree'.

My auto tech teacher was a "free", "firty" and a "fird" guy. Someone in my class actually got him to say "firty free and a fird inches" one time.

Back