Flight Service Station question

jeffs chips

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
bulgin
about 20 years ago when I got my private, we could call up flight service inflight and request that they make a phone call to our destination contact person advising them of our ETA.

Now, I'm going for my IFR ticket (20 years later) and I'm curious: does flight service still extend this courtesy to pilots?

Thank you!

Somewhat, but much has changed with the rise of the internet.

The number of active facilities has greatly shrunk as has the amount of staff that would talk to you.

But with the rise of the Internet, the availability of information for pilots to self brief has gotten easier. And the different products are simpler to interpret. www.1800wxbrief.com has pretty much replaced the phone call. As have several of the Electronic Flight Bags and their ways of providing a comprehensive weather brief.

You'll see many comments of where what and how in this thread. It the simplest advice is to start with your CFI-I and some ground study work.

And a really good way to do this is scenario and situational. Pick a destination several hours from you and work with your instructor on to gather everything you need to know to satisfy §91.103 and confidently execute an IFR flight. Practice with several other scenarios and you'll build a good method.

I would also suggest purchasing the book "Pilot Weather: From Solo To The Airlines" from https://www.pilotweatherbook.com/. Yes, it is expensive, but it is one of the most comprehensive weather texts for pilots out there covering not just the theory of weather, but how to access the weather product you need to look at and how to interpret it.

I was thinking the flightaware could work but only if IFR correct?

about 20 years ago when I got my private, we could call up flight service inflight and request that they make a phone call to our destination contact person advising them of our ETA.

Now, I'm going for my IFR ticket (20 years later) and I'm curious: does flight service still extend this courtesy to pilots?

Thank you!

Dang. I never even thought of doing that. Woulda come in handy. I’m talkin about pre cell phone days

Send a text inflight.

Somewhat, but much has changed with the rise of the internet.

The number of active facilities has greatly shrunk as has the amount of staff that would talk to you.

But with the rise of the Internet, the availability of information for pilots to self brief has gotten easier. And the different products are simpler to interpret. www.1800wxbrief.com has pretty much replaced the phone call. As have several of the Electronic Flight Bags and their ways of providing a comprehensive weather brief.

You'll see many comments of where what and how in this thread. It the simplest advice is to start with your CFI-I and some ground study work.

And a really good way to do this is scenario and situational. Pick a destination several hours from you and work with your instructor on to gather everything you need to know to satisfy §91.103 and confidently execute an IFR flight. Practice with several other scenarios and you'll build a good method.

I would also suggest purchasing the book "Pilot Weather: From Solo To The Airlines" from https://www.pilotweatherbook.com/. Yes, it is expensive, but it is one of the most comprehensive weather texts for pilots out there covering not just the theory of weather, but how to access the weather product you need to look at and how to interpret it.
When are you running for office? You said a lot about FS but didn't actually answer the question asked. Lol

My guess is they will still do something like this, though it isn't nearly as common anymore.

I was thinking the flightaware could work but only if IFR correct?

It works with VFR, but you won't get an ETA.

Even the flightaware ETA for IFR is your "scheduled" ETA, correct? So if you deviate from your plan or winds aren't as forecast (never happens), it doesn't update.

If trying to coordinate with somebody that closely, I send a text after run up with my best guess. If they're somebody I fly to regularly, I've told them about flightaware and they can get a good idea in flight of my progress.

I tell them I'm going to land 10 mins before I actually do. Not because I can't flight plan, but because I want them to watch me! ;)

For VFR: I've had people check while I am flying with Flight Following and it didn't show up on FlightAware until landed. Now all ADSB-out flights show up on FlightAware (with or without Flight Following) but once again only after landing. They do seem to show up within just a few minutes of landing though.

It would seem that filing IFR is the only way to have it reliably show up on FlightAware while you are flying.

Texts seem to work pretty well out here on the plains up as high at 7000msl (6000agl). I'd say 95% go through at 4000agl and maybe 80% by 6000agl.

There is always the Garmin InReach (like @Katamarino) uses. It isn't cheap (for you) but they can see exactly where you are and you can send each other texts. Plus it has the SOS feature built in. I wish the plan was about 30% less and I would buy it.

I have had FSS make a phone call for me but it was to get 1-minute wx at our destination airport because it was starting go VFR out the window but the wx stations were still reporting MVR and IFR ahead.

There is always the Garmin InReach (like @Katamarino) uses. It isn't cheap (for you) but they can see exactly where you are and you can send each other texts. Plus it has the SOS feature built in. I wish the plan was about 30% less and I would buy it.

I am very happy with the InReach but usually only activate it for my more adventurous flights; round-the-world, exploring the arctic etc. The cost is so small compared to the rest of those, it gets lost in the noise (we just spent $771 on airport fees in Laos and I'm not convinced that we'll escape without paying more!)

On that kind of trip however, the messaging is amazing; you can get TAFs and METARs literally anywhere in the world. A big help when you're 5 hours from anywhere, no radio coverage, and want to know if you can land at your destination or need to turn back..!

Back