Minor Forum Peeve

Speaking of pet peeves... can't we just have a new rule that "he" is understood to include "she" too, without have to type "s/he" or "he or she" or "she" and make everybody guess if "she" is really a he?

Next outrageous pronouncement you'll make is that Mankind includes females. [Ravioli ducks for cover, where did that goose come from?]

"The" 5, 20 miles south of "the" 80, is not ambiguous, state wise.

Every person knows that "The 5" refers to either the interstate running along the West Coast, or a TV program on Fox News.

While I've never lived East of the Mississippi, I have rough idea of where each of the North/South highways (5-95) and East/West highways (10-90) are.

And commonly the ones who leave out the location are asking for help.

"Looking for a safety pilot to help me between area of KZZO and KZOZ"
"Flying to KOZZ, any restaurants nearby?"
"Looking to partner in an aircraft at KZOZ"

And commonly the ones who leave out the location are asking for help.

"Looking for a safety pilot to help me between area of KZZO and KZOZ"
"Flying to KOZZ, any restaurants nearby?"
"Looking to partner in an aircraft at KZOZ"
And as stated earlier, if you don’t know where those are, you probably can’t help.

And as stated earlier, if you don’t know where those are, you probably can’t help.
As stated earlier, I don't have the identifiers memorized for every airport I've been to. I've been to lots of airport restaurants and restaurants near airports, but I couldn't tell you the ID of most of those without looking them up.

As stated earlier, I don't have the identifiers memorized for every airport I've been to. I've been to lots of airport restaurants and restaurants near airports, but I couldn't tell you the ID of most of those without looking them up.
Well, I guess if they’re willing to go without your help, you don’t need to force them to let you help.

If the ones asking for help assume the identifiers are all they need to give out, they should expect reduced results. The more information you give, the bigger that net is, and the greater chance you'll get help!

IDK what the BFD is. WYSIWYG. GI=GO. This thread is starting to require popcorn. BYOB.

If the ones asking for help assume the identifiers are all they need to give out, they should expect reduced results. The more information you give, the bigger that net is, and the greater chance you'll get help!
See Post #45. ;)

I wonder if doctors get upset on DoctorsOfAmerica when someone asks "patient has a fracture in fibula, slow to heal, complaining of pain, any ideas?" and the other people say "why can't you just say leg?"

I don't really understand how saying "looking for a safety pilot out of Ramona, CA" is any more helpful than "looking for a safety pilot at RMN" to someone who lives in, say, Kansas.. ?

"The" 5, 20 miles south of "the" 80, is not ambiguous, state wise.
Seeing as I-80 and I-5 don't intersect in a state that says 'The', it's not ambiguous, it's just wrong.
'The' is a Southern California thing, it's a whole different state than Northern California.

Ok so you're going to pay for a foreflight subscription for me then? And that runs on an ipad right? I don't have an ipad so you'll need to get me one of those too. Any color will be fine. I'm not picky.
I understand the frustration... But, I've opened Google in a sperate tab on phone and PC and typed in the acronym (or numbers) followed by "airport" ... And found out where it's at...

Or, you could use avare for free on your phone... Type it (or them) in in plan... And see the flight path or the destination...

Let’s start a new rant:

I hate it when people post that they’re going from point A to point B and want advice... whether using standardized identifiers or not...

Without explaining ANY of their thought process, posting a screenshot of their route map, or showing their work that they used ANY of the skills they were TESTED on, to receive their certificate.

It comes off as “do my homework for me” in the form of a flight plan.

Now if they’re honest and SAY they don’t have ANY clue about flight planning anymore because they forgot or had a traumatic brain injury and recovered... fine... I’m a CFI. I’ll help them with advice to find another local CFI and get re-trained and also help them in the natively inefficient fashion of a forum.

But there’s the alternate rant. Show at least a LITTLE work before asking for help. If you don’t, I have to wonder first if you’re just a home gamer flying a flight sim who hasn’t been through basic ground school.

Caveat: Student pilots can always ask “dumb” questions and be helped. EXPECT answers in the form of questions that will make you THINK your way to an answer and not the direct answer. Heck, I might do that with certificated pilots too. That’s what we do, in teaching... you get to figure out your own answers with a little coaching.

End of rant. Flame proof undies are on and securely around the important bits. LOL.

I prefer names. Because a) even if I don't live someplace, sometimes I experience "collateral learning" about other places. Identifiers are useless for that.
And b) identifiers are also useless for sparking fond nostalgic memories of places I flew to once fifteen years ago or something.

P.S. Use of inclusive pronouns brightens my day.

I think you need to recalibrate what passes for "work" these days. :D Loading a website and typing words and then waaiiittttiiiinnnngggg for the answers is "research" now.

Sigh. A friend was posting recently that libraries are important. I used to live three blocks from one and loved it. One downside of being rural is it has made me as “Google lazy” as everyone else.

I still read a ton on Kindle. But my little County doesn’t have electronic book checkout last I checked.

I should probably get my ass down 14 miles away and get a new card and my wife a card and put a reminder in the calendar to go once a month. I do miss the one near the old house.

I don't really understand how saying "looking for a safety pilot out of Ramona, CA" is any more helpful than "looking for a safety pilot at RMN" to someone who lives in, say, Kansas.. ?
In that particular case, it makes no difference. So if the only time it came up was in threads where people are looking for safety pilots, it wouldn't be an issue and this thread would have never been created.

Picture a room with a trash can in the middle. You're sitting in a chair on one side. You watch me walk right past the trash can and walk up to you, hand you a piece of paper and ask you to get up and go put it in the trash. You can easily do it, but you'd probably be a little annoyed and maybe find it a bit rude that I didn't just do it myself when I was walking past the trash can.

The person making the post knows the information. They've already looked it and they've got it in their head. They're already typing words into a post. It takes them nearly zero extra effort to include the information. Instead they leave it out and make anyone who cares to respond go look it up themselves. A lot of effort? Nope. Just like the trash can example, its not a lot of effort, its easy to do. But its also kind of rude.

Ok rant time. I absolutely hate it when pilots post about a particular location or route of flight and use 3-letter airport identifiers.

"Hey I was at KZZZ the other day and I saw this..."

"I'm planning my first solo cross country next week and I'm going to go from KAAA to KBBB to KCCC, is that going to work?"

There are several thousand airports in the US. I don't think anyone knows every identifier from memory. So now not only are you asking for free advise from strangers, you're also expecting them to go and research your cryptic codes before they can offer any input on the question you're asking. Not only do I want your knowledge for free, I also want you to go lookup what I was too damn lazy to type.

Very often it is much more informative to say I'm going to fly from Millville NJ to York PA to Hagerstown, MD...In most cases that tells everyone what they need to know to give an informed answer without having to go and lookup all the airport ID's to figure out what part of the world you're talking about.

Maybe this peeve hit closer to home for me than some others because I end up having to deal with it at work too. I work with truck drivers so I get breakdown calls that often go like this:
Driver: Hey I've got a blown tire who do I call?
Me: Where are you?
Driver: I'm on 421 about 20 miles from 217
Me: That tells me nothing. Let's start with this, what state are you in?

I know I'm not going to change anyone's habits with this but still I figured its worth mentioning. You'll get many more responses to your questions if you use cities and states rather than airport identifiers in your questions. I know you're a wicked smart pilot and you want to impress everyone else with how well you pull off your wicked smart pilot speak. But we're all pilots too so we don't care how wicked smart you are because most of us are pretty sure we're wicked smarter than you. ;)

Yeah well, why don't you come to 2K9 and say it to my face!

Sigh. A friend was posting recently that libraries are important. I used to live three blocks from one and loved it. One downside of being rural is it has made me as “Google lazy” as everyone else.

I still read a ton on Kindle. But my little County doesn’t have electronic book checkout last I checked.

I should probably get my ass down 14 miles away and get a new card and my wife a card and put a reminder in the calendar to go once a month. I do miss the one near the old house.

Amen. I have been clinging to my Los Angeles Public Library digital access and I hope that they never find me and take it away.

That said.. I'm surprised there's not a black market for library card logins. There's probably a profound social commentary to be unpacked there somewhere. :D

Hey, I know pilots that have trouble spelling the three letter code, let alone the city or state.

Back