GDL-39 query

MikeS

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
MikeS
Soon as I put my attention back on plane projects I'll be installing whatever complies the least expensively with the mandate. As for IN, I've been watching GDL-39's show up in droves on eBay, some of them going for as little as $300. Is there some reason people are ditching their GDL-39 receivers and going to other equipment? I see so many of them that I'm wondering why.

Soon as I put my attention back on plane projects I'll be installing whatever complies the least expensively with the mandate. As for IN, I've been watching GDL-39's show up in droves on eBay, some of them going for as little as $300. Is there some reason people are ditching their GDL-39 receivers and going to other equipment? I see so many of them that I'm wondering why.
3 possibilities:

1. Stratux
2. People upgrading to GDL50/GDL52
3. People installing the GTX345 or GNX375 (from a certain point of view, they sort of have a GDL50 built in)

It’s not the latest and greatest, mainly.

The original GDL-39 lost some of it's luster when the 393D was released. For Garmin Pilot users the ADHRS was a big leap. The GDL-50 doesn't improve on that much but the ADHRS is now standard equipment. Guys are adding ADS-B in and out solutions and the GDLs become unneeded. Your gain. They're good devices. Better with ADHRS, for sure.

Who out ther has the 375 an g3x installed would like to hear from you or who can help

In my case I've had a GDL39 for years but no out. Now I have the Appareo ESG OUT with the Stratus 3 receiver. I'm torn because I'm a Garmin Pilot user and the GDL interfaces to my Aera 510 GPS as well as my BT devices. If I make the switch to FF, the GDL goes up for sale.

Thanks for all the responses. It makes sense that the 39's would get left behind as people move up to fancier equipment.

Re the 3D model, I don't think I'd enjoy any advantage since I'm going to hook it up to a 660 which already has AHRS. The prices I've been seeing with the 39's don't show a lot of difference between the base model or the 3D model. It wouldn't hurt I guess to have the extra capability or . . . the receiver-based software might have a faster response rate than the navigator software, especially since the navigator is doing a bunch of other things all at the same time. Perhaps the difference is negligible? Actually, unless I lose my attitude indicator I wouldn't be using the AHARS function anyway.

How does your 660 already get AHRS?

Now that we have the GTX345 we don't need the GDL39-3d. However I am going to keep it (for now). But only because the one I found on ebay had a battery. So it and a tablet would be a decent GPS backup with all electrical lost.

If I had my choice though between the GDL39 series and the newer GDL5x series I'd take the later any day. A way better internal battery that will probably last 7 flight hours instead of 2.5. I think you can charge it via usb. The GDL39's have a propietary 12v connector to cig lighter so more of a PITA to charge in the plane (takes up your only cig port) or at home because you need their special 120 to 12v adapter.

I think you can charge it via usb.
you can. normal Mini-B type. at times i take it home and just plug into whatever USB cable is hanging around there that fits.

> "How does your 660 already get AHRS?"

I guess you're right. The 660's "3D" function isn't the same as the GDL39-3D. I'm glad you pointed that out.

> "The GDL39's have a propietary 12v connector to cig lighter so more of a PITA to charge in the plane (takes up your only cig port) . . ."

I think I've already got three cigarette lighters. Easy enough to install another one if necessary. Isn't it odd that now, long after the heyday of cigarettes, we're still using a receptacle designed for a device no longer used or needed . . . and calling it by it's original name. I don't have a better suggestion . . . the name describes exactly what kind of receptacle we're talking about . . . I just find it . . . curious I guess . . . that the name is outliving the original purpose of the device. And too, that the contemporary uses of this receptacle powers some of the most amazing technologies yet the original purpose was something so primitive and incredibly stupid.

39 < 50

iPad Mini 4s are probably a steal right now too. :D
I think the emoticon denotes some irony here . . . but don't know what it is. I don't do iAnything so I'm clueless.

I have a just removed gdl50. What's a fair price for it these days. In service under a year.

I think the emoticon denotes some irony here . . . but don't know what it is. I don't do iAnything so I'm clueless.

Sorry, Apple released the ipad mini 5 recently. The 4 was good enough until it wasn't -- and it wasn't when that new digit appeared. I'm self-outing here, as I chucked a perfectly good mini and GDL39 for a 50 and mini5 :D

I have a just removed gdl50. What's a fair price for it these days. In service under a year.
That would be $250 + shipping. Saves you the hassle of listing it and dealing with miscreants. Paypal works for me, just PM me for the email/info :)

I guess you're right. The 660's "3D" function isn't the same as the GDL39-3D. I'm glad you pointed that out.

> "The GDL39's have a propietary 12v connector to cig lighter so more of a PITA to charge in the plane (takes up your only cig port) . . ."

I think I've already got three cigarette lighters. Easy enough to install another one if necessary. Isn't it odd that now, long after the heyday of cigarettes, we're still using a receptacle designed for a device no longer used or needed . . . and calling it by it's original name. I don't have a better suggestion . . . the name describes exactly what kind of receptacle we're talking about . . . I just find it . . . curious I guess . . . that the name is outliving the original purpose of the device. And too, that the contemporary uses of this receptacle powers some of the most amazing technologies yet the original purpose was something so primitive and incredibly stupid.
I would think the last thing you would want to do is install another cig lighter. Or if you did, stuff a dual USB adapter into it right away. There are still a few nice, non-noisy ones out there.

The 660 does not have an embedded AHRS but it does have an AHRS capability when connected to a GDL 5X, 345, 375, etc.

My plane is going through the upgrade now. I’m going with the GTN650, 345, and 225 Comm

I already had the GDL51, Sentry, and Aera 660 with FF. At the end of the install, the Sentry will probably be sold, but it’s still a great traffic backup should the 345 fail.

The GDL51 and 660 will be hard wired. The 660 and GDL51 is a fantastic combo backup, especially when paired with the 345.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My GDL-39 works fine, feeding Garmin Pilot on my IPad. The battery is a bit played out, I can easily charge it enroute though.

The GDL39 didn't have great battery life to begin with, and that's probably gotten worse. Plus, as more folks get 345/375, there is just less need.

I am hardwiring my GDL-39 3D. It will feed and provide AHRS to my Aera 660 and take position info from my GDL-82, thus providing synthetic vision capability on the 660 and EFB (in my case, Foreflight for now.)

The GTX-345 and 375 are great all-in-one solutions, but they didn’t offer Anonymous Mode I wanted, and as a light-and-sporty guy, I didn’t need 1090 MHz out since I don’t fly in the Flight Levels and don’t go international.

Last edited:
Back