Eastern Airlines Plans to Fly Again Soon

I did. Didn’t find anything that I would see make someone say “god, I hope not”

Less about Capt Eddie and more about how bad Eastern was at the end of its lifespan I suspect. They have been reincarnated once before focused on Miami - Cuba but we'll see. It was a grand airline at one point. My Grandfather flew for them from 52-82 (Martin 404 to A300) and had an uncle who was a mechanic and aunt who was a flight attendant. Lots of reasons it went down with lots of blame to go around.

No, as pointed out, this Eastern doesn't bear anything other than the trademarks of the old one. This is the second time the mark has been passed along. Swift Air had it for a few years. Now a new group has purchased it.

By the way, if you want a good book on the demise of the original Eastern, Freefall by Jack E. Robinson is pretty good. Avoid Jack's book on Pan Am though. A better one is Robert Gandt's Sky Gods.

By the way, if you want a good book on the demise of the original Eastern, Freefall by Jack E. Robinson is pretty good. Avoid Jack's book on Pan Am though. A better one is Robert Gandt's Sky Gods.

Agree on Freefall and Sky Gods. Both excellent reads if you have any interest in the history of the airlines and why they look like they do today.

Google/wikipedia Captain Eddie Rickenbacker...

Oh man, I love his popcorn...

th

Less about Capt Eddie and more about how bad Eastern was at the end of its lifespan I suspect. They have been reincarnated once before focused on Miami - Cuba but we'll see. It was a grand airline at one point. My Grandfather flew for them from 52-82 (Martin 404 to A300) and had an uncle who was a mechanic and aunt who was a flight attendant. Lots of reasons it went down with lots of blame to go around.

Sounds like your family was bad for business... ;)

Agree on Freefall and Sky Gods. Both excellent reads if you have any interest in the history of the airlines and why they look like they do today.

Jack got into a bit of notoriety because the Car Talk guys were railing on people who talk on cell phones while driving. When Jack was running against Ted Kennedy (which Doug points out wasn't the best driver either), he was conducting a phone interview while driving and gets into an accident.

Hey maybe the revival of Eastern will be as awesome as the revival of Frontier! LOL

Bring back Western. Including on board steak dinner. ;)

I did. Didn’t find anything that I would see make someone say “god, I hope not”
Sorry, no bust on Capt Eddie - I flew on Eastern quite a bit, back in the day, and it was mostly a gruesome experience. Not sure why anyone would want the brand - maybe just some name recognition? But sort of like manufacturing a new car and naming it Edsel. . .

Back