AOPA Pilot Mag Oops

overdrive148

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
overdrive148
We have a subscription of AOPA's Pilot Magazine here at the office and we noticed something a bit off on the cover of the July issue we had laying around:

v3o9KEq.png

Just a glitch in the matrix...

Yeah, they admit to it in an AOPA live segment and the following issue, too.

But, it’s still a pretty big oops.

I saw the one on the cover when that issue arrived in my mail, but didn't notice the picture inside was ''fixed''....

All well.... nice to know I am not the only one that has left a cap off....

I once left my keys on top of a C-182. An old timer told me to go look in the area I rotated....and sure enough there they were..!!!

WOW lol. Thanks for sharing. Safety Third!

You had me thinking it was something serious, like a typo.

I can't believe the photographer did not notice. They would have been moving around in the wind.

I once left my keys on top of a C-182. An old timer told me to go look in the area I rotated....and sure enough there they were..!!!

My buddy in next door hangar took off with his cell phone on the top of engine cowling. He was able to track down his phone with I phone tracking app. Phone was found towards departure end in the woods in perfectly working condition. Fell from least 100 ft or more. He gave credit to Otterbox case.

First trip in the RV-6 to Oshkosh. We landed just south of there for fuel on the trip home. I saw the pilot side fuel cap depart as we lifted off. Looked like a near-miss from a bird out of the corner of my eye. When I looked, the cap was gone and fuel was running back across the wing. We went around the pattern, landed, and walked back to the runway. The cap was sitting on the edge of the runway a hundred yards from where I saw it depart. It was beaten up but usable. I've never replaced it. The scars and scrapes are a reminder.

While travelling I once stopped for gas, and I must not of tightened my gas cap properly. A bit later I overflew an airfield with a VOR, and as a passed the VOR, I turned to a new course. As I turned, I caught a glimpse of movement out of the corner of my eye, and immediately noticed it was my gas cap, as one of my gas caps was now missing. I entered the pattern of the field I was overflying to land to see if I could scrounge up a gas cap. As I touched down on the runway, a small red object on the runway caught my eye as I went past: IT WAS MY GAS CAP! I taxied back, picked it up, and screwed it back on. Still working today (with the addition of a few dings/scratches from its fall from 3000 feet).
I have to admit, my luck doesn't normally run that good.

While travelling I once stopped for gas, and I must not of tightened my gas cap properly. A bit later I overflew an airfield with a VOR, and as a passed the VOR, I turned to a new course. As I turned, I caught a glimpse of movement out of the corner of my eye, and immediately noticed it was my gas cap, as one of my gas caps was now missing. I entered the pattern of the field I was overflying to land to see if I could scrounge up a gas cap. As I touched down on the runway, a small red object on the runway caught my eye as I went past: IT WAS MY GAS CAP! I taxied back, picked it up, and screwed it back on. Still working today (with the addition of a few dings/scratches from its fall from 3000 feet).
I have to admit, my luck doesn't normally run that good.

Wow.

Soo did they just photoshop over it for the inside???

Wonder who proofs the cover photos
I heard there is a job opening if you are interested?

Photographer probably did notice, and figured they could just fix it in post processing.
Ok, if you notice that and you are an aviation photographer are you not saying "Lets land and try this again?". Leaving a cap off is not a minor issue in my books.

Ok, if you notice that and you are an aviation photographer are you not saying "Lets land and try this again?". Leaving a cap off is not a minor issue in my books.
If it were me taking the pics, I'd let the crew know about it... and I suspect they'd say, "Can you fix it with Photoshop or something? If so, get the pics and fix it later. If we turn back and land to put the cap on now we'll lose the light and be doing this again tomorrow, and this b***ch is thirsty."

If it were me taking the pics, I'd let the crew know about it... and I suspect they'd say, "Can you fix it with Photoshop or something? If so, get the pics and fix it later. If we turn back and land to put the cap on now we'll lose the light and be doing this again tomorrow, and this b***ch is thirsty."
Yup. As a pilot and photographer, I would let you know if I saw something wrong. As long as I don't think it puts us (or them) in danger, I'll defer to the pilot of the subject plane. If it's something I'm not happy with, I'll call the shoot off.

Thirstier if you suck all the fuel out of the open cap. LOL. Look at that tank go down!

Back