[NA]Household ceiling can lights[NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I think I need an education on how the new LEDs connect to the circuit and their voltage etc.
Have a look at the photo from Superior Lighting.

This story starts with a 2yo manufactured home; several of the lamps (recessed cans; LEDs) flicker constantly driving everyone nuts - and they are 5000K or better, which gives the dining/kitchen that wonderful autopsy-room feeling.

So I pulled one down and of course it's all foreign to me; looks like 120v romex entering a junction box which is attached to a molded plastic lamp housing above the bulb and lens.

Looking at this one, I have no clue what kind of connection that is, or the voltage.

Is there a household lamp LED standard for those two things??

This is a photo of the potential replacement:
Canlight.jpg

Looking at this one, I have no clue what kind of connection that is, or the voltage.
Looks like it is intended to screw into the bulb socket of a "traditional" can that is designed for a medium base incandescent light. (That's the setup over my shower right now.)

What you have isn’t new work or old work setup, and doesn’t even appear to have a can. Not even sure that’s legal/code.

Usually you use one of those and there’s a real “can” above “can” lights. What in the world is that LED doing shoved into a pile of blown in insulation?

Maybe there’s something out there that makes that legal, but I don’t know what it is.

It came new from the factory that way 2 yrs ago, Nate - but legal details aside. I’m open if anyone has suggestions on what I can put in there to fix my 2 problems.

It came new from the factory that way 2 yrs ago, Nate - but legal details aside. I’m open if anyone has suggestions on what I can put in there to fix my 2 problems.

Factory? Is this a pre-fab building? That is why it has scary stuff in it. Lol. They’re allowed to do basically “RV” wiring and switches and such.

I get it. I just think usually when you’re replacing those or putting in new ones you use the “old work” boxes and then put pretty much whatever light you want in them with standard wiring. Anything pre-fab is going to be weird. That LED probably died due to heat, stuffed up against blown in insulation like that.

That photo you sent for the replacement looks like something that screws into a bulb socket of an already legal lighting fixture.

Does the original have any manufacturer markings on it? Model number?

Step 1. verify its not a low volt fixture of some sort. I'd pull the wires out of it and put a meter on them to make sure you've got 110 there. Once you verify you've got 110, go get an insulation contact old work recessed can and put it in the hole. Then you can put decent bulbs in that have a warmer color temp.

It looks like the original fixture is a "cut-in" or "remodel" style fixture and has a metal junction box attached to the top of it. Likely legal most places as the junction box will protect the connections. The path to using the new fixture would be to install a remodel style "can" appropriately sized for the light and then attach to the new can.

Something similar to this depending on your application. Capt. Thorpe is correct about the connection.

https://www.bing.com/aclk?ld=e3npll...=0fa584148ad81514ab75d9773fdfd29a&adlt=strict

I hope the link works, I stink at tech stuff... It's for a Halo H7RICT. Not sure if it's correct for your space, but it will get you going in the right direction.

Best

And here I am just ripping mine out in favor of surface mounted fixtures.

Luckily your drywall hole was much smaller than mine, I'm waiting to re-do this hatchet patch/texturing job before I put a real lamp in.
20190826_100455.jpg

Back