The Golden Age of Flying

Golden age of air travel is right now. Hasn’t been a fatal commercial crash in a decade at least. In our little spam cans we can see weather and nearly every other airplane in the sky.

I think I was born in the wrong decade. It must've been nice being able to afford a new ga plane in the middle class.

Golden age of air travel is right now. Hasn’t been a fatal commercial crash in a decade at least. In our little spam cans we can see weather and nearly every other airplane in the sky.

Interesting. Wonder why all those 737 Max Aircraft are parked.

OTOH, I’ll never forget flying a TWA 707 with a piano bar on board back in the day.

Cheers

Must be ^^ cause there have been several this decade.

My first ever flight in an airplane was in a DC-8 to Hong Kong in 1964...with fuel stops in Anchorage and Tokyo along the way. I was just a kid, and I thought it was pretty luxurious. Especially the fact they seemed to serve good food continuously. But I do remember the incessant cigarette smoke too.

I remember as a kid, getting to go up to the cockpit and getting explanations of some of THOUSANDS of switches, and levers, and being introduced to the copilot and flight engineer.

And, getting real-brass-pin-on wings with TWA or AA logo. So cool!

Real, pretty good, meals on flights. I was young, but sure seemed like a lot more room those days...

And now, I'd be happy to just be able to buy something to fly from nearly that long ago...

I think I was born in the wrong decade. It must've been nice being able to afford a new ga plane in the middle class.
It depends on how you define "middle class". Inflation adjusted, I believe that a new plane is 1.5—2x times as expensive as in "the olden days". Some folks, technically middle class, who could afford a new plane today don't see any value in buying one.

Yeah, I meant US. There are always fatals overseas, but they don't always adhere to our aviation practices.

Interesting. Wonder why all those 737 Max Aircraft are parked.

OTOH, I’ll never forget flying a TWA 707 with a piano bar on board back in the day.

Cheers
Northwest had a Stratoliner with a pipe organ in it.

Depends how you define Golden Age.. sure, from a cost X safety metric this may be the best. But the caliber of people you meet more and more flying these days is, frankly, revolting. Aviation used to evoke class.

Depends how you define Golden Age.. sure, from a cost X safety metric this may be the best. But the caliber of people you meet more and more flying these days is, frankly, revolting. Aviation used to evoke class.
Now it is a mere bus ride.

Now it is a mere bus ride.
It really is. Sad but true.

Problem is, I think airlines would be willing to give the extra service and class if they could make money on it. And while there are certainly brand loyalists and business travelers who will always fly with Airline X, the vast majority of Uncle Joe and Aunt Sally are going to kayak, Priceline, Orbitz, and picking the cheapest absolute ticket they can find...and then complain later about having to make two connections and crappy seats and service

Back