Crazy.. SR22 down NC, both survived

Wow... that..! is epic.

According to the FlyingMag people with a BRS can expect a descent rate of about 900 - 1700 f/min.. or about 20 mph. Fast.. but certainly not deadly, especially when the gear are designed for it as are the seats

According to https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/earth-and-planetary-sciences/cumulonimbus-clouds convective updrafts can reach 40 ms^-1 or about 90 mph... so.. a fully laden swallow (I mean Cirrus) descending under chute at 20mph may experience upward flight of 70 mph if it encountered such a draft.. or about 6,000 ft/min

Talk about crazy!

wasn't there a guy in a military jet who ejected in a storm and ended up getting launched up to some absurd altitude like that?

Don’t know about that but I’ve seen the NOAA glider that some crazy ass pilot flew into thunderstorms to test what happens when it got hit repeatedly by lightning. Insane.

wasn't there a guy in a military jet who ejected in a storm and ended up getting launched up to some absurd altitude like that?
William Rankin and a Crusader. He wrote a book called "The Man Who Rode the Thunder."

edit: better late than never. It's a good book, either way.

Nauga,
shocked, I tell you.

Wow. Weather was pretty rough this entire week in the northeast. I wouldn’t have wanted to fly in it too much.

That's more what I meant than onboard radar, which is rare on a single engine piston plane. It could be XM or ADS-B on a MFD/iPad app/hand-held device, but getting near real-time data is easy today. Plus ATC is advising people much more now without any prompting (after the Scott Crossfield crash).

XM/ADS-B/NEXRAD is a useful tool, but it doesn't give you absolute real time data. It is useful in predicting trends, but has to be combined with prudent flying. The JetProp example Tantalum posted would have had a real radar on board, though it had two pilots who were not supposed to be exercising instrument flight privileges anyway, and sounds a bit more like disorientation.

Honestly, at some point doesn't matter what kind of plane you are in, weather like this aught to be avoided.. you don't see 777 or G650 plowing through CB thunder cells either

There is audio out there of an Aer Lingus A330 refusing to go through a CB cell out of JFK and getting jerked around by N90 because of it.

Yep.. and it's the same thing with Icon.. and modern cars and SUVs. I always laugh when a $100K SUV, with every freaking traction aid bell and whistle, is stuck in a snowbank being pulled out by a stick shift rear wheel drive 1980s pickup.

Freeway driving during ice storms around DFW is highly amusing. The medians and right of ways quickly become littered with crashed 4WD pickups and SUVs.

There is audio out there of an Aer Lingus A330 refusing to go through a CB cell out of JFK and getting jerked around by N90 because of it.
that's right! I remember that, and then they put the guy in some random hold and had him flying around in circles

Back