What is you total time to # of landing ratio?

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
I was just getting my logbook in order for a FR. My (total time /# of landings) is .95.

Work has kept me from flying as much as I would like but this year I have averaged 1 flight per week. My flights are normally about 1.5 hours.

PPL 6/95, highest total time per year 200hrs, lowest is 20hrs.

I don't do as many long cross country flights as I us to but am happy to fly 1.5 to 2 hours a week..:)

I was just getting my logbook in order for a FR. My (total time /# of landings) is .95.

Work has kept me from flying as much as I would like but this year I have averaged 1 flight per week. My flights are normally about 1.5 hours.

PPL 6/95, highest total time per year 200hrs, lowest is 20hrs.

I don't do as many long cross country flights as I us to but am happy to fly 1.5 to 2 hours a week..:)

Bill, do you ever fly to Sitka for lunch or dinner? Great cafe in the terminal. Open until 7PM.

I don’t know my time ratio. I suspect it’s around .9 because I tend to spend time banging out landings. Less recently.

I do know my ratio of takeoffs to great landings is 1:1.

0.55 hrs per landing

Getting my glider rating this year lowered this a bit. Lots of 10 minute pattern flights.

Last edited:
I don’t keep track of my landings after I got my PP, but you can assume I have at least 1 landing for every flight. If it wasn’t for insurance, IFR currency, and flight reviews I probably wouldn’t log at all. Never had a diary or a journal, not my thing...fortunately it’s automatic these days.

Tom

Really? This is a thing?
All I care about is do the landings equal takeoffs, and the percentage of landings I walk away from.
I think its an interesting study or discussion. Not a competition. POA has discussed far more ridiculous things.

My typical flight is about 45 minutes and I often do several circuits and landings at the end of every flight... just 'cuz it's so much fun to land a biplane on the grass, especially when you get it just right. If I was flying a Cessna off pavement, it would no doubt be different.

A little over 2 hours for me. I don’t really go flying just to fly. It’s all travel for me.

Bill, do you ever fly to Sitka for lunch or dinner? Great cafe in the terminal. Open until 7PM.
Yes we do get to Sitka and normally have lunch in the terminal. They serve a mean fish and chips. You also have to get a piece of pie. Coconut banana cream is one of my favorites .

Really? This is a thing?
All I care about is do the landings equal takeoffs, and the percentage of landings I walk away from.
Not a thing Shepherd, just a ratio that came to mind after adding 2 years of flights to my logbook before my FR. Flights are logged in a notebook and I transfer to pilot logbook. Lots of numbers and dates, just trying to make it fun..:rolleyes:

I think its an interesting study or discussion. Not a competition. POA has discussed far more ridiculous things.
You hit the nail on the head. As posted above just having fun...:)

I don’t keep track of my landings after I got my PP, but you can assume I have at least 1 landing for every flight. If it wasn’t for insurance, IFR currency, and flight reviews I probably wouldn’t log at all. Never had a diary or a journal, not my thing...fortunately it’s automatic these days.
Yeah, for a while I stopped logging every flight, until I realized I was giving inaccurately low annual hours to my insurance, and restarted logging every tenth of an hour of flight time.

My ratio comes to 0.485 hrs/landing.

as a 25 hour student who struggled with, and is still not satisfied with, his landings, I have performed 125 landings....so .25 :confused:

Tom
Yah my Garmin logs flight hours. It doesn't start the timer till I'm 500 feet AGL I think? I'm thinking that's what you meant by you comment "it's automatic these days". Funny thing is use Tach time, so it's not real accurate...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
About .9 lifetime, since I restarted flying 7 years ago after a 25 yr break about 1.5,

as a 25 hour student who struggled with, and is still not satisfied with, his landings, I have performed 125 landings....so .25 :confused:
The only thing I can say is, nail the speed and use the same site picture. I like to focus on the end of the runway, works for me.

.45 over 50 years... Might reflect the little old airplanes I fly. Used to do cross country in travelin' planes with only necessary stops. Then would take an old plane out around the patch for 10 or 12 landings.

Roughly 0.7 hrs/ldg

680 hours total

Edit: added units and total

Last edited:
Yah my Garmin logs flight hours. It doesn't start the timer till I'm 500 feet AGL I think? I'm thinking that's what you meant by you comment "it's automatic these days". Funny thing is use Tach time, so it's not real accurate...:rolleyes:
For me I pull my logs off my G5 and EDM and use those to fill out my logs. I don't really track anything but time and landings. If something particularly interesting happened, I might write a short sentence, but even that's rare.

Now compare the ratio responses with total time and create a two variable scatter plot. That might be slightly more interesting

0.86 with about 650 hours (though I have 35 additional hours in Africa that I can't log that would bring it to about 0.91)

Now compare the ratio responses with total time and create a two variable scatter plot. That might be slightly more interesting
Yeah, I thought that would matter for me, but it turns out my ration hasn't changed that much. Sure I take 6 hours flights now, but I also do things like this that move the bar the other way.

Yeah, I thought that would matter for me, but it turns out my ration hasn't changed that much. Sure I take 6 hours flights now, but I also do things like this that move the bar the other way.

You are one data point. Statistics demands a few more. :rolleyes:

1.89 overall. 2.80 thru PPL. 2.34 thru rest of training, CPL, IFR and MEL. 1.06 since then. Lots of 3 landing flights, I tend to get uncurrent, get annual Flight Reviews and lots of Rental Checkouts.

1.89 overall. 2.80 thru PPL. 2.34 thru rest of training, CPL, IFR and MEL. 1.06 since then. Lots of 3 landing flights, I tend to get uncurrent, get annual Flight Reviews and lots of Rental Checkouts.
Did you do it upside down? landings per hour instead of hours per landing?

I tend to have more landings per hour than most. I fly my plane at least once a week to keep it exercised. If I can’t find someone to go somewhere, in hate flying along, I usually fly for about an hour and do a lot of T&G’s.

0.86 with about 650 hours (though I have 35 additional hours in Africa that I can't log that would bring it to about 0.91)

Has the statute of limitations ended yet...? Maybe you can claim it now.....

Yes we do get to Sitka and normally have lunch in the terminal. They serve a mean fish and chips. You also have to get a piece of pie. Coconut banana cream is one of my favorites .

Not a thing Shepherd, just a ratio that came to mind after adding 2 years of flights to my logbook before my FR. Flights are logged in a notebook and I transfer to pilot logbook. Lots of numbers and dates, just trying to make it fun..:rolleyes:

Whew! I thought I had missed an important FAA thing.

I was surprised how low my number is, as I do most of my flying on long cross countries, legs 2 to 3 hours, 6 legs to a trip. That is a lot of hours per landing. My flying is 80% cross country.

The trouble is that the long trips are widely spaced, so I do a relatively large number of very short flights to keep night current, and do instrument approaches, and the equivalent to a BFR every year.

That drives the number down to 1.5 hours per landing, from my second log book, with 587 hours in it.

Back