GPS and Radio upgrades

Greg Ragsdale

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
GRAGS
Hi everyone, I am new to the group looking for some recomendations to upgrade my panel and want to make sure im getting all I need. I have purchased an older 172 and will be using it to get my IFR, Comm licences. I am looking at a full replacement of coms and navs as well as adsb while I am in there and am looking at the GNX 375, It looks like I can use a KI209 with that unit, I have also found some pretty good deals on 430's, would you recomend that as a 2nd gps and radio? Does it also need a cdi? The next question is, if I put a 430 in, do I need another nav/com or just one more radio. I have not been able to get an awnser. I know the easy way is to spend 30k, however I need to be way more frugal than that. Luckily I have a great freind that is an A&P that will help me with the intall.

Thanks in advance for any guidence!

You're gonna have a tough time replacing ALL your com/nav radios and adding IFR GPS and ADSB for much under $30K. Even if you put a used 430 in there, I'll bet you're gonna be north of $25k. Might look at going with an Dynon Skyview STC with the ARINC 429 interface, skip the old KI209 (and the annunciator if you can find one).

Plus for the commercial you need 2D autopilot to be TAA.

update...I often work/teach computer graphics...2D - two dimensions, two axis, 2 servos....all the same to me.

Last edited:
For your commercial pilot’s license you need a 2-servo auto pilot to be a Technically Advanced Aircraft, or you need to be complex. This requirement is only for 10 hours of dual, not for the check ride.

For your commercial pilot’s license you need a 2-servo auto pilot to be a Technically Advanced Aircraft, or you need to be complex. This requirement is only for 10 hours of dual, not for the check ride.
I will be using a different aircraft at times throughout training to meet requirements, I just want to make sure I’m doing the best I can for the money. I don’t want or need all the bells and whistles as it is a time builder.

What Radio's do you have, are they good working Nav/Com's? Look at the Garmin GPS175. It is possible that you could have the GPS175 installed with the KI109 indicator and you would have your Nav/Coms for ground based VOR/GS/LOC navigation and the GPS175 for Waas LPV approaches. I purchased the GPS175 at KOSH for 4100, I have seen it as low as 3999, now 4195 at Lafayette https://avionics-laf.com/collection...ifr-waas-approach-w-ga35-and-stc-registration I went with an Aspen E5 as my indicator also purchased at KOSH for 4100, Keeping my old Nav/Com's that work great. Local radio shop will install the E5 and GPS175 for 2K, so for about 10K I will have a glass panel and WAAS GPS. The problem with the GNX375 was it is only dealer installed and all of the quotes were very high, the 175 is over the counter and an AP can install them. I purchased the 175 and E5 from Sarasota and they threw in the wiring harness for an easy install.

Last edited:
2-axis autopilot.
2-servo autopilot.
terminology.

Last edited:
What Radio's do you have, are they good working Nav/Com's? Look at the Garmin GPS175. It is possible that you could have the GPS175 installed with the KI109 indicator and you would have your Nav/Coms for ground based VOR/GS/LOC navigation and the GPS175 for Waas LPV approaches. I purchased the GPS175 at KOSH for 4100, I have seen it as low as 3999, now 4195 at Lafayette https://avionics-laf.com/collection...ifr-waas-approach-w-ga35-and-stc-registration I went with an Aspen E5 as my indicator also purchased at KOSH for 4100, Keeping my old Nav/Com's that work great. Local radio shop will install the E5 and GPS175 for 2K, so for about 10K I will have a glass panel and WAAS GPS. The problem with the GNX375 was it is only dealer installed and all of the quotes were very high, the 175 is over the counter and an AP can install them. I purchased the 175 and E5 from Sarasota and they threw in the wiring harness for an easy install.
Thanks for this reply, great info. The radios are mx12’s, the Nav 1 vor gs worked good when I did my pre-buy however both coms were dismal at best. I could not verify nav 2 working properly as it was a vor style I had never seen before. I did require as a condition of sale that they have the radios repaired and full pitot stat system check. I go back east to fly it home in 2 weeks, so I’ll see when I pick it up. I’ll do some research on the gps 175

Oh! Very recently they changed the requirement for a complex aircraft for at least part of the checkride. All you need is ten hours duel in a complex aircraft. I was unaware of the substitute of a technically advanced aircraft. Learn something new everyday.

Without doing the math it sounds as if buying ten hours of instructor and complex aircraft would be much cheaper than an autopilot.

Garmin’s gfc500 retails $7k not counting install.

Without doing the math it sounds as if buying ten hours of instructor and complex aircraft would be much cheaper than an autopilot.
Yes, but you can still use the auto pilot once you’re done with the 10 hours.

An yes, the terminology says 2-axis auto pilot, but you need one servo to control each axis. The current terminology used in auto pilots to determine what you are getting is the number of servos. You need 2 (one for pitch and one for roll) for TAA.

Last edited:
Back