Titanic may be dissolved by 2030

I hope it dissolves. I have nightmares about Detroit junk yards.

Even the destruction? ;)

As noted, Chernobyl is proving even the destruction is temporary. And also man is the only real species affected by it - although I wouldn’t eat the fish.

The sea is really hard on man made things.

My grandfather was a carpenter who worked on her and one of the sisters at H&W shipyard, for its time it was an amazing piece of engineering considering the tools etc at the time.

My mother used to tell me that he was heartbroken for years after it was lost

Everything man puts on this earth is transient, given enough time.

Now, nobody lives forever nothing stands the test of time
Oh, you heard 'em say, "Never say never"
But it's always best to keep it in mind that every tower ever built tumbles
And no matter how strong, no matter how tall
Someday even great walls will crumble and every idol ever raised falls
Someday even man's best laid plans will lie twisted and covered in rust
We've done all that we can but it slipped through our hands
And it's ashes to ashes and dust to dust

Ashes to Ashes - Steve Earle

Reactions: Ted
My grandfather was a carpenter who worked on her and one of the sisters at H&W shipyard, for its time it was an amazing piece of engineering considering the tools etc at the time.

My mother used to tell me that he was heartbroken for years after it was lost
That's pretty amazing ancestry.

Now, nobody lives forever nothing stands the test of time
Oh, you heard 'em say, "Never say never"
But it's always best to keep it in mind that every tower ever built tumbles
And no matter how strong, no matter how tall
Someday even great walls will crumble and every idol ever raised falls
Someday even man's best laid plans will lie twisted and covered in rust
We've done all that we can but it slipped through our hands
And it's ashes to ashes and dust to dust

Ashes to Ashes - Steve Earle

As long as it's poetry and culture day. ;)

Ozymandias
BY PERCY BYSSHE SHELLEY
I met a traveller from an antique land,
Who said—“Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

Except the Titanic II has already sailed and sunk.

Back when I was a young teenager, some 47 years ago, a friend and me found an old wooden row boat. We painted it and also painted Titanic II on the back. On its maiden voyage across the lake, which was about a 150 yards wide and possibly a half mile long, at about 10 yards out, it started leaking.

We went back to the starting point, drug it out of the water, turned it over to let it dry. The next day we painted the bottom again, much thicker paint and a couple of coats. We let it dry another day.

We used that little boat all summer. It still leaked but not like before. We could go all day and still not have to bail out any water. Of course, with such a small lake even if it did start leaking we could make it to shore before it was completely full.

The final weekend before school started, we pulled the Titanic II out of the water and turned it upside down. That winter was a wet one, lots of rain, a little snow and the water level in the lake came up about 10 feet. The first day of summer vacation we went back to find the boat. We found it under about a foot of water, full of mud.

We took it out, cleaned it up the best we could and wondered if it was worth repairing. After a week or so, one night as we collected fire wood for our campsite, we filled the Titanic II with dry wood, poured a little boy scout juice on it and put it back on the water. Without any parting words, we threw a match on it and pushed it out onto the lake.

The Titanic II burned down to the water level, and was never seen again....

That's pretty amazing ancestry.

Half the city worked there, one of the very few employers at the time. Now GOT and it’s prequels are made there.

The sad thing was all 3 ships suffered some how, 2 of them sunk

Second image is the dry dock where the superstructure was completed and fixtures added etc.

Attachments

• FAC376BA-00DE-4777-8A67-EBF9B57980E8.jpeg
    FAC376BA-00DE-4777-8A67-EBF9B57980E8.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 1CCA296D-6D88-4717-8583-D03E6CDD6192.jpeg
    1CCA296D-6D88-4717-8583-D03E6CDD6192.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
That's one annoying boat - sappy movie, too. Not in the top 10 of wrecks, either, I think. . .at least Amelia was kina cute, in a tom-boy way. . .

Stupid ending for the movie, woman spends 60 years with a man (the grandfather) and when she dies, she goes to the Titanic to spend eternity with the guy she hooked up for 1 night in the back of a car. And women think the movie is romantic?

Tom

When will the movie dissolve? Can't be too soon.

Stupid ending for the movie, woman spends 60 years with a man (the grandfather) and when she dies, she goes to the Titanic to spend eternity with the guy she hooked up for 1 night in the back of a car. And women think the movie is romantic?

Tom

I honestly, hand on heart have never seen the movie, I thought it was disrespectful making money on the tragic event.

However if you ever get to Belfast, the exhibit is very interesting, the exterior represents the bow of all three ships.

Attachments

• 9BC1D9FA-7F80-413F-8A9C-812F8385E5EA.jpeg
    9BC1D9FA-7F80-413F-8A9C-812F8385E5EA.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 11
Back