Hanging plastic in hanger question

Huckster79

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Huckster79
A1316715-4657-4F8A-B360-F5F1D16C355A.jpeg I’d like to hang plastic sheeting to fill the area between the roof and walls. I get tons of birds - I pay for a hanger and still gotta clean bird crap-ugh. Also will help if I have to fire up torpedo heater this winter. I tried adhesive caulk but it peeled right off the plastic... I’m thinking either duct tape, or that quick grab construction adhesive and furring strips to staple into...

They are slated for destruction one of these days no one cares if ya do stuff like that...

Any other suggestions?

Well, first of all it's hangAr, not a hangEr.

But to solve your issue, would canvas work? Probably easier to hang, would still accomplish the goals, and you can velcro it along the top of your section.

Plus canvas is biodegradable and plastic kills planets.

Well, first of all it's hangAr, not a hangEr.

But to solve your issue, would canvas work? Probably easier to hang, would still accomplish the goals, and you can velcro it along the top of your section.

Plus canvas is biodegradable and plastic kills planets.

That may very well work if I could get Velcro to stick to the metal... or I could do the furring strips and canvas...

I think it might be easier to just put more sheet metal up to close it off. And it won't flap around then.

Get some 1-by furring strips and a few tubes of liquid nails. Glue the wood to the steel, staple the plastic to the wood.

It looks like cheap tarps and rope could also work if you can string it up tight enough that it doesn't droop anywhere. And then you'll still likely have to stuff foam into the raised sections of the roof panels or the birds will just walk through across the top of the beam.

Last edited:
The make a rip- stop tarp like product specifically for sealing up the spaces under the roof of a hanger. They use it at GBR. I'll get the name and pass it on.

Heavy duty plastic tarps, Wire them up through their grommets, then run some rope under it to take the sag/belly out of it.

You big problem will be sag. Also is the hangar water tight? Any drips will cause pools on top youbplastic.

Weave ropes back and forth across the beams. Anchor your tarp or plastic to the ropes.

Can you put tapping screws into metal frame?

Plastic will not last more than a year at most. I would get some heavy duty grey or brown tarps and 1x2 furring strips. Roll the edge of tarp around 1x2 then screw that to hangar with self tapping screws.

Any other suggestions?
We have used surplus cargo parachutes in the past. Rigged a single pulley with rope above and centered on aircraft then would connect to parachute and pull it up and drape over aircraft. Chutes come in various sizes up to 100ft. Don't know what current costs are but I used to get them at a DRMO or similar place for around $25 for a 35 footer.

I should note I want to go as cheap as possible as I’m on the list to move to the nice hangars on the field and with these slated to be replaced, I’m good with a less than high end option... if these facts weren’t true I would be doing it real nice and insulating whole thing...

Outside, no question. Inside out of the sun, I would think it would last a lot longer.

I use 4 mill plastic sheeting all the time and Plastic will just tear apart at any connection points, especially in any wind.

Was thinking that more than just UV degradation.

Back