Continued Morbidity

SoonerAviator

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
SoonerAviator
My grandmother (fellow aviator) passed yesterday after 92 years on this Earth. She was the primary inspiration for me getting my certificate and loved talking about flying with me. She had a straight-tail 172 nicknamed the "Mama Bird", and took me out to a few airshows at KBVO which was home to the National Biplane Fly-In for many years. She was also pretty adept at technology/computers and got me hooked on Microsoft FS 3.1 on her Mac computer. She bought me my first flight lesson for a birthday present as a teenager. When I first soloed, I called her up and told her that I had been taking a few flying lessons and they ended up cutting the tail of my shirt off. She knew instantly what it meant and was elated to hear it.

Fortunately, I was able to go up and see her in her last days, which I hope helped ease her transition. She has been more or less home-bound for about a decade aside from a special outing for my wedding about 5 years ago, so her health has been in decline for awhile. She had four sons and a daughter, 2 of those sons became professional aviators, my father never finished taking lessons but has always loved to fly. Sad to see her leave, but happy that she's no longer bound to her bedroom.

"We follow in the footprints of giants".

Make that true and do her justice. It sounds like she deserves that.

What a lady! Would love to hear more stories about her (especially in regards to her aviation life) if you care to share. Sorry for your loss.

Dude, that generation saved the world - tough, smart, selfless. . .my Great Aunt worked in a munitions plant, I think maybe in/near Chicago? Anyway, the assembly was done in multiple, smaller buildings at the site. Every so often one of them would blow up, killing the woman (really, mostly girls) workers. They cleaned it up, buried their dead, and kept on working. Blue skies for you Grandmother . ..

Blue skies and tailwinds! Sorry for your loss. :(

Appreciate the kind words, all.

What a lady! Would love to hear more stories about her (especially in regards to her aviation life) if you care to share. Sorry for your loss.

Well, most of her stuff was fairly mundane as far as flying was concerned, but she did manage to fracture her spine helping to hand-prop a Cessna 140 (no battery) with one of her sons (my uncle). See, the uncle was about 6'4" and grandma is probably about 5'1". The seat in the aircraft was set pretty far back to accommodate my uncle's height, so when Grandma had to sit inside and hold her feet on the brakes, she arched her back/shoulders against the seat to hold the pressure on the pedals and *snap* went her vertebrae! I believe this was down at KADM Ardmore, OK some time back in the mid-70's.

She and my grandfather (the town pharmacist) used to take weekend trips to Vegas with a prominent doctor and his wife in their V35 Bonanza. The doctor and grandmother were both pilots, so they usually rode up front together to handle the flight duties. Years later, my grandmother had been divorced from my grandfather, but she re-married in the late 90's to another man . . . the doctor with the V35, lol.

I'm very sorry for your loss, but very happy you had such a wonderful relationship and such great memories.

Back