PA28 161 111 fuel pressure at max

pnfootitt

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
pnfootitt
Hi, can anyone shed any light on the cause of my problem please, the fuel pressure in the triple gauge on my Mk 3 goes straight to max when battery master is turned on, doesnt change with engine running, or when fuel turned off at the wall,or ICO, obviously the engine stops, but the gauge stays at max, any ideas before the shop starts changing parts.

In my PA28 (1977 Warrior) at startup the reading would go to max but as the engine warmed up it would come back down. Mechanic could not figure out why that should happen. It continued to stay at max longer as time went by. Replacing the fuel pump eliminated the problem. My pressure gauge is original to the plane. YMMV

I don't get how a spring return fuel pump can develop a HIGHER pressure, but it did.

thanks, mine would appear to be an electrical problem, as its at max even when the engine is stopped and starved of fuel, although, for a few months it was reading slightly high just out of the green range, didnt pay much thought to that as it was still showing a
readable pressure,and was zero when the engine was stopped, but now straight to max when battery master turned on.

thanks, mine would appear to be an electrical problem, as its at max even when the engine is stopped and starved of fuel, although, for a few months it was reading slightly high just out of the green range, didnt pay much thought to that as it was still showing a
readable pressure,and was zero when the engine was stopped, but now straight to max when battery master turned on.

Possible bad ground. My Cherokee had a bad ground on the instrument cluster. It caused some of the instruments to do exactly as you describe. All the instruments were grounded through a common connection. Ran a new ground wire to a better spot and the problem disappeared. Kinda scary when your oil temps goes past redline.

that sounds a great line to investigate, although wouldnt a bad ground affect all three readings ?

Back