GFC 500 issues

Stallhorn

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Stallhorn
Hello all,

I got a GFC500 installed in a C182Q in March, 2018. Since then, I have had two servo failures. This comes up on the G5 screen:

Servo clutch fault
Servo hardware fault

The first one was a trim servo, which was replaced under warranty and took 8 hours to do the work.

The second failure happened a few days ago - I am not sure if it is the same servo or another one, the error above is not specific. Two servo failures in less than two years. Garmin implied these things last for a long time.

Anyone has any issues with the GFC 500 servos?

Thanks.

Garmin has had a lot of trouble with Servos in my experience. The failure out of the box or after a year doesn’t mean much to me. If a Servo fails, it had a problem from new, just didn’t show up right away. I’d say this statement is true of 9 out of 10 failures I’ve seen.

We were ready to add a GFC500 to our G5 install. Should we wait until this issue is resolved? What is the warranty period and is Garmin owning up to a problem by extending any warranties?

Haven’t these servos been used in the experimental world for years? I like to hear from those guys. Could poor installation result in servo failures?

Tom

we probably got some of the first PMA servos in our 182 two years ago, three of them to be exact, never had any trouble with them

Haven’t these servos been used in the experimental world for years? I like to hear from those guys. Could poor installation result in servo failures?
This is where most of my experience is from, the experimental world. I can’t see how any installation issues could cause the failures.

My pitch trim servo failed a few weeks ago. It was installed with the GFC500 and dual G5's last December. Replaced under warranty. Concerning.
V35b

This is where most of my experience is from, the experimental world. I can’t see how any installation issues could cause the failures.

Yeah, I thought this came from field testing in the experimental world, maybe even in the certified world - installed along the GFC 700 for smaller airplanes. I think it is an improved version, but the basic functionality might not be that different. I fly several GFC 700 equipped airplanes, never seen a servo failure.

If I remember correctly, Garmin said something about the pitch servo being installed PERFECTLY lined with the cable it is moving. They said the slightest sideload can affect the servo. The installer took pictures and sent to Garmin, which they thought was good installation and replaced the servo. That is how installation issues could cause issues.

A bit disappointing...

I did my install, V35 Bonanza, with G500TXi, GFC500, etc.. in December of 2017. As of today I now have had 6 servos fail. A bit concerning to say the least

I did my install, V35 Bonanza, with G500TXi, GFC500, etc.. in December of 2017. As of today I now have had 6 servos fail. A bit concerning to say the least

Wow, are you on Beechtalk? Might want to post your experience over there ...could it be an installation issue?

Last edited:
I had a roll servo fail on a 172 after about 50 flight hours after install. The autopilot was probably used for less than 25% of the time. It was replaced under warrantee and the tech took about 3 hours to replace the servo. There has been about 100 flight hours since with no issues.

Just got my plane back from the shop. Ptrim error came up today and resting the breaker did nothing. Fresh install. Not happy right now. Gfc 500 Piper. 28R.

Interesting news on the servo failures. Goodness, my Century III is 54 years old. Never had a component downstream of the autopilot amplifier fail in that time, at least as far as the maintenance logs and my last 20 years of ownership shows.

Garmin is very good about correcting issues with their new products. I was an early adopter of the G5 and fell into a small group of "unique" users" who had problems with the unit displaying a slight roll lean. It took two firmware updates and about two months but once they fixed it, it was gone for good. That was nearly four years ago now. The process was interactive and involved from the perspective that we were actively communicating with Garmin the entire time. They took it quite seriously. Gave me additional confidence in going with an all-Garmin panel.

I recently completed a pre-buy eval for a customer. During the test flight a servo failed. Garmin agreed to cover the replacement. I took it to an authorized dealer. Sure enough, Garmin paid the full cost to replace ALL servos with new. According to Garmin, the new serial numbers are not suppose to have this issue. We now have about 10 hours on the airplane since replacement. Flawless. Excellent autopilot.

Completely random in terms of timing, but flew a retrofit C-172 with GFC500 and G3X Touch today. Wow! It was really impressive. Who ever dreamed your basic Cessna 172 could do that... as a retrofit.

The avionics tech that installed our GFC500 last fall looked up the serial numbers of the servos affected - per service bulletin NO.: 2063 Rev B: All Garmin GSA 28 Servo Actuators (011-02927-11) with serial numbers 5G9000000 to 5G9002000 installed as part of the Garmin GFC 500 Autopilot with Electronic Stability and Protection (ESP) STC SA01866W are affected. The servos installed for us last fall are 2000+ numbers higher.

The shop got back to me and helped me resolve my ptrim issue. They spoke with garmin and had me reset the ptrim servo in the G5 and the “servo cloth error” was removed and everything is back to normal.

The avionics tech that installed our GFC500 last fall looked up the serial numbers of the servos affected - per service bulletin NO.: 2063 Rev B: All Garmin GSA 28 Servo Actuators (011-02927-11) with serial numbers 5G9000000 to 5G9002000 installed as part of the Garmin GFC 500 Autopilot with Electronic Stability and Protection (ESP) STC SA01866W are affected. The servos installed for us last fall are 2000+ numbers higher.

Can you point me to this service bulletin, I just had a failure on one of mine and see that all 3 of my GSA28s are in the middle of the affected serial numbers. Hope I will get an easy replacement.

Ok, thanks. I cannot seem to find it on their website when I search for it. I'll call my shop on Monday. Thanks for the info!

we probably got some of the first PMA servos in our 182 two years ago, three of them to be exact, never had any trouble with them

Well that didn't take long, Dad just reported a non-clearing servo clutch fault message on the pitch trim actuator. the actuator is serial number 5G9000367. The other two actuatos also fall into the SB effectivity range.

Wow, was the shop an authorized Garmin dealer? I know of at least two other cases locally and Garmin swapped the servo's at "no cost" within days of notification. I did have to pay for the labor on the reinstall, but I know others didn't even have to pay that. I would contact Garmin customer service and tell them what the dealer told you, this seems contradictory to all the other cases. Good luck.

Wow, was the shop an authorized Garmin dealer? I know of at least two other cases locally and Garmin swapped the servo's at "no cost" within days of notification. I did have to pay for the labor on the reinstall, but I know others didn't even have to pay that. I would contact Garmin customer service and tell them what the dealer told you, this seems contradictory to all the other cases. Good luck.

Absolutely a legit Garmin Dealer, that was one reason we chose this company.

See edits above, this turned around while I was typing this.

Oh good! They were doing a great job addresses these immediately, glad they are still doing that. Good luck.

Just had the Ptrim fail on my first long XC. Called the shop that installed the G5s, GFC 500 and 3 servos in early 2020. Tech recommended downloading a software update, and if that doesn’t cure the problem then likely servo failed. The update didn’t fix it. Seems like Garmin is still having trouble with servo issues.

Tan. Can you point me to the procedure for resetting the PTRIM servo in the G5? Just had an error message today

Tan. Can you point me to the procedure for resetting the PTRIM servo in the G5? Just had an error message today
Hi Dave,

I don’t remember as my shop walked me through it when I landed from pickup. They had me go into settings after speaking with Garmin. My plane is in annual so I can’t visualize. I’m sure your shop should me able to walk you through it.

Hi Dave,

I don’t remember as my shop walked me through it when I landed from pickup. They had me go into settings after speaking with Garmin. My plane is in annual so I can’t visualize. I’m sure your shop should me able to walk you through it.
Thanks

Back again... another servo failure. Let's see how this one plays out. Hey Garmin, I'm getting frustrated changing servos!!!

Back again... another servo failure. Let's see how this one plays out. Hey Garmin, I'm getting frustrated changing servos!!!

You should get the new versions (I would request all servos to be replaced assuming they have a supply). Service bulletin 23024 also addresses the warranty extension.

Dealer says they don't qualify. I'm going to appeal directly to Garmin.

Back