ADSB Out: What Happens If You Don't Comply?

That's not entirely true.

How so? Unless you have an accident, get ramp checked, or are talking to ATC, there isn't anyone out there actively policing most of the FARs. Now I am in no way advocating violating any of FARs, just stating the reality of it. If you want to fly your unlicensed, unregistered, unmaintained airplane from a sleepy uncontrolled airport, and stay out of the spot light, the FAA will likely never catch wind of it. And it does happen. The only time these things come to light is usually after an accident, or someone drops a hint to the FSDO.

Summary:

There are some exceptions to this rule (airspace and aircraft)
Intentionally breaking rules has negative consequences

Did I get the essence to this thread?

I am saying that there are a few out there that will try to enforce certain provisions. I don't want to get into detail because the matter is ongoing. Please trust me on this one.

If you don't comply, this guy will come by and watch you until you are in compliance....

2007-11-11_124557_fonbone_watching.jpg

So what I'm hearing is if you don't want adsb, just paint over you N number too..

What happens if your transponder is off...broken...etc.

A few years ago while on VFR flight following, I was headed to a class D airport underneath and on the opposite side of SFO class B. My transponder failed entirely in flight a few miles before entering the mode C veil. The controller rang me up and asked me to verify my transponder, so I looked over to find that the digital display was blank. After cycling the breaker, I said, "it looks like my transponder failed." Controller said "Roger, say altitude" and then I continued on. I crossed through at least a couple of other sectors afterward, including passing underneath the extended approach paths for SFO, but it was very much a non-event. I suppose it might have been more complicated if it was a more anal controller or if I was not already on FF though. It didn't seem to bother anyone much.

“What happens if you don’t comply?” - As has been noted, exactly the same thing that happens now if you don’t have a mode C transponder. In fact, if you could look back far enough, though I suspect it would have to be printed magazines since POA (possibly even the internet) didn’t exist back then, you’ll find the same question being asked when mode C was mandated.

Anyone remember when that was?

Back