Anyone want to buy an F16?

I think you should consider making a club to buy it. 40 members @ $200k a piece buy-in. Cheaper than an old Cirrus SR-20.

Not sure what the maintenance and annual costs are.

What kind of wet rate should we charge? Where do you want to base it?

5% serious.

I’m sure ATAC or Draken will gobble them up.

This is more realistic for a personal collection. Love to see one in the air show circuit.

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/33968927/1969-vought-a-7-corsair-ii

Something like that would be cool, especially given it has combat history. Given its an incomplete project I'd be surprised to see it ever fly.

The Collins Foundation once posted a video on YouTube, detailing the problems trying to maintain and fly a jet warbird. At the time the video was made, all of the Collins jets were grounded waiting for one type of maintenance or another. Most of these jets require many hours of specialized maintenance after almost every flight. The Air Force has huge maintenance crews, warehouses full of spare parts, etc., and still has trouble keeping birds airworthy. Any non-profit group of volunteers can barely keep up.

Plus they touched on the issues finding and training pilots. With a little training, you can take a competent civilian and train them to fly a T-6 or P-51. According to their video the jets aren't as easy. Most civilians can't keep up in a fast paced single pilot jet. Usually they need pilots with previous tactical jet experience, ones with deep pockets to offset the training costs, and lots of spare time to stay proficient.

Last edited:
Only if it comes fully equipped with radar and weapons systems.

Tom

I’ve been flying an LSA. Do you think I will need any transition training?

Back