Something I don't see everyday...

Not every day for me (those would be F18s since I work right next to Miramar) but at least every few months a bunch of them show up.

The title of this thread reminded of a joke from a strange comedian, Emo Philips:

>>>

When I was a kid my parents used to tell me, "Emo, don't go near the cellar door!"

One day when they were away, I went up to the cellar door. And I pushed it and walked through and saw strange, wonderful things, things I had never seen before, like... trees. Grass. Flowers. The sun... that was nice... the sun..

<<<

Those are called buildings. We even have some like that here in New Mexico...:lol::lol:
They made them so tall! But I guess it's a good place for them. The ground between the buildings is too hard to grow corn or soybeans ;)

Anyways, here's another picture of them tall buildings- make the grain silos look small.
JAK_5239.jpg

Not every day for me (those would be F18s since I work right next to Miramar) but at least every few months a bunch of them show up.
At first glance, I did take it for an F-18, but I noticed the shape was all wrong.

We used to get those around here all the time. I guess it helped that they made them 3 miles from my house...

I grew up just north of ADW so I got kind of immune to such things.

One morning on my way to work (I live just east of IAD and work just north of it), I see SE-27000 (one of the AF-1 planes) go by. Interesting, I think. A few minutes later sitting in my office, it goes by again (my office looks out on base leg for 19L at IAD). A few minutes later it goes by again. What's he doing? Touch and Goes?

I was at FFA when AF-1 (in the strict sense of the word) made a low pass over the runway under an overcast (W was on board).

Great pic!

I was at the Georgia Tech campus as the Thunderbirds were practicing their Superb Owl flyover this past year. That was really something to see.

I'm a bot spoiled since I spend a lot of time in Miramar Beach, Florida. Great spot for aviation buffs. Low level flights out of Eglin all the time and a vintage airshow for the 4th of July. On top of that, Pensacola is a short hop down the beach!

No cool pics, but YF and I live inside the traffic pattern at Moffet Field, and I see lots of C-5As landing there. Years ago, there were a lot of P-3C Orions based there, and knew one of the pilots. If we wanted to, we could just about sit on our roof and watch airshows based at Moffet. Occasionally, light jets will land there, too. Much better than living directly under the flight path.

No cool pics, but YF and I live inside the traffic pattern at Moffet Field, and I see lots of C-5As landing there. Years ago, there were a lot of P-3C Orions based there, and knew one of the pilots. If we wanted to, we could just about sit on our roof and watch airshows based at Moffet. Occasionally, light jets will land there, too. Much better than living directly under the flight path.
Also, the Collings Foundation brings some WW2 aircraft once a year, and flies those lovely-sounding radials over my house all weekend! :)

(I live under left downwind for Rwy 32L.)

Wish I’d had the camera out on Friday when the NASA Canberra showed up at Miramar...

Smart= Threat reacting self defense ROE against French doctors
As if that was the intent? Let the culture/country/military/non-state actor that has never fatally erred fire the next round. The planet would grow much quieter.

As if that was the intent? Let the culture/country/military/non-state actor that has never fatally erred fire the next round. The planet would grow much quieter.
Intent isn’t the only factor in being a “smart” supporting arm. Simply highlighting that such a “bad-ass” platform has a nasty habit of over-reacting when it comes to perceived threats...

I’m being more than a little bit provocative- It’s a fine tool, but it’s not all there is and I like messing with folks from time to time. There’s plenty of F-18/F-16/A-10/B-1/B-52 screwups too, you’re absolutely right.

Back