So, student pilots.. Who are we and where do we stand?

Going for my first XC under an IFR flight-plan this weekend with my CFII... without an autopilot... :)

Checkride scheduled for Friday. Starting to feel the nervousness now!

Yes, ok to be nervous. But like someone else said - be the PIC. OWN that aircraft. Do what you did on your solo flights. Be in COMMAND of it. Chair fly a bit. But if your ride is tomorrow, just relax and get a good night's sleep... You will nail it!

Just joined, Meeting local DPE tomorrow to "verify" That I am who I is! Means here in just a few weeks I should have my Student Pilot License in hand. I am currently in "ground school" and looking for where I want to take my Dual instruction.

I just left a message with a local DPE to schedule my IR ride.

Im just 3.3 hrs in. I can taxi, lol, straight and level flight, level turns, ascending and descending turns as well as my clearing turns. Started working on slow flight. Takeoffs with no wind are ok and rotation speeds are getting better. Still learning and figuring out my sight picture. So far after 4 flights i have gone through my appropriate checklists pre and post flight. I did screw up the other day and shut down incorrectly but on the next flight i fixed that. Refueled twice. Next flight is more work on slow flight ( i guess works towards learning and knowing how to perform in the pattern). We will intro to stalls. The traffic pattern is cool but coming in on final- there is a lot going on and i am behind the plane. The ground seems to come fast- but i can align with the runway decently and bring it in but i want to pull up too early. After touchdown im wanting to relax the yoke to early and put the nose wheel down before i should.

I listen to liveatc and play along with radio calls. I think that i could actually say what i want and not be a complete idiot.

Overall i am happy at where i am in my learning. Im scheduling 2-3 flights per week for the next 2 months so i hope that everything will start clicking.

I have already learned that i like to fly early in the morning compared to afternoon/evening lol.

Just joined, Meeting local DPE tomorrow to "verify" That I am who I is! Means here in just a few weeks I should have my Student Pilot License in hand.

Few short minutes with the local DPE this morning, navigation of ICARA for a "few" clicks and walaa! I have a Student Pilot License, hard copy to follow! It's a good day!

Why did you have to go to a DPE to get your student pilots license?
I did not have to go to a DPE, however since I am doing self study on my ground school, and have already obtained my 3rd class Medical, it was easier to use the DPE since I am not working with a particular CFI yet. I travel for work so I am never in the same spot for more than about 4-6 weeks. I am planning on either using an online ground school for the endorsement to take my written, or if the CFI I work with for the flight portion is willing to "quiz" me on what I have learned and endorse me for the written. I am saving for the flight lesson portion of this adventure. I plan to be completely ready for the flight portion and check ride, with all other requirements completed. Early next year I plan on going to Montana and completing the flight portion, check ride and of course have my PPL done! This way of doing it is a little "different" but I have spoken to a few CFI's and the CFI in Montana that I plan to work with, and they saw no reason for this method to not work for me.

Finished the Oral portion but had to discontinue due to weather. Finishing up tomorrow!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That means you’re out flying now unless WX sucked again! Let us know! Good luck!

I am planning on either using an online ground school for the endorsement to take my written, or if the CFI I work with for the flight portion is willing to "quiz" me on what I have learned and endorse me for the written. I am saving for the flight lesson portion of this adventure. I plan to be completely ready for the flight portion and check ride, with all other requirements completed.

My CFI endorsed me for the written when I showed him good scores on several practice tests. I used Sporty's for that. When you're ready, start taking on-line practice tests and download or take screen shots of your scores to show your CFI.

Early next year I plan on going to Montana and completing the flight portion, check ride and of course have my PPL done! This way of doing it is a little "different" but I have spoken to a few CFI's and the CFI in Montana that I plan to work with, and they saw no reason for this method to not work for me.

What's the wx like in Montana during the time of year you plan to fly.

Beware about "best laid plans" and all that. Weather, mechanical problems, illness (one of my CFIs got grounded by an ear infection for a while), etc., can trip you up. It's also barely possible that some maneuver might take longer to learn than you expect. DPE availability can be tough in some areas, too. Once I was signed off for my checkride, I waited almost 2 months for a DPE to be available, then we did the oral but winds were too high to fly, so it was another 3 weeks to finish. That was 2-1/2 months between endorsement and having ticket in hand.

Be flexible, and give yourself lots of time to finish up, just in case.

Beware about "best laid plans" and all that. Weather, mechanical problems, illness (one of my CFIs got grounded by an ear infection for a while), etc., can trip you up. It's also barely possible that some maneuver might take longer to learn than you expect. DPE availability can be tough in some areas, too. Once I was signed off for my checkride, I waited almost 2 months for a DPE to be available, then we did the oral but winds were too high to fly, so it was another 3 weeks to finish. That was 2-1/2 months between endorsement and having ticket in hand.

Yes Sir, Luckily my better half and I "full time" in an RV. It will be late spring early summer for this endeavour. So a month or two worth of "lot rent" visiting family and flying should hopefully get'r done, If not we are blessed to be able to have a fairly flexible schedule. Also allows for flexibility to go to an area where the DPE's may have less schedule issues. It is not like it has to be done in that time frame, just would like to get it done as efficiently as possible. Thanks for the input.

After a 1.1 flight and a pretty good crosswind landing, my DPE extended her hand and said congratulations!
aba16b1770b590bf0c484c4c3aacd03a.jpg

After a 1.1 flight and a pretty good crosswind landing, my DPE extended her hand and said congratulations!
aba16b1770b590bf0c484c4c3aacd03a.jpg

Congrats, pilot! Outstanding! Go celebrate; it’s a big deal.

Was this SP or PP?

Congrats, pilot! Outstanding! Go celebrate; it’s a big deal.

Was this SP or PP?
Private.. just a much cheaper way of doing it. I plan on getting checked out in the 172s at my school soon.

Private.. just a much cheaper way of doing it. I plan on getting checked out in the 172s at my school soon.

Yep. Similar story here. I did SP back in 2017, then PP in June and stayed with a Tecnam LSA through the Private checkride. Now transitioning into the school’s Cherokee (flew it for the first time today).

Got my first x-country IFR flight done today! Got to copy almost all (lol) ATC instructions... did well with initial clearance but the 2nd one where we picked up the clearance in the air was tough. i could not write it down while under the hood and being bounced around, so CFII did it.
I also got some time in actual IMC... it's amazing how you can easily get disoriented. Even under the hood, you still have some visibility out of the corner of your eyes but when everything goes white (and bouncy) it's really challenging.
And, to top it off, the AI failed (for real). That was my first time flying from B back to A without any reference to AI.
Now on to do another one next week!

Got my first x-country IFR flight done today! Got to copy almost all (lol) ATC instructions... did well with initial clearance but the 2nd one where we picked up the clearance in the air was tough. i could not write it down while under the hood and being bounced around, so CFII did it.
I also got some time in actual IMC... it's amazing how you can easily get disoriented. Even under the hood, you still have some visibility out of the corner of your eyes but when everything goes white (and bouncy) it's really challenging.
And, to top it off, the AI failed (for real). That was my first time flying from B back to A without any reference to AI.
Now on to do another one next week!

“Bugsmasher 123 I have a re-route for you, let me know when you’re ready to copy full route clearance...”

I'm Heather, new to the group and about to start training next month. I have zero hours but have been studying the PHAK and the ASA Private Pilot test prep. My school suggested Kings school before starting also. Excited to start my flying journey. Any and all suggestions or comments or bits of advice are welcome for this newbie!

I'm Heather, new to the group and about to start training next month. I have zero hours but have been studying the PHAK and the ASA Private Pilot test prep. My school suggested Kings school before starting also. Excited to start my flying journey. Any and all suggestions or comments or bits of advice are welcome for this newbie!

Welcome. Plenty of advice here. Make sure to search the archives. Study hard and go fly. :)

I have zero hours but have been studying the PHAK and the ASA Private Pilot test prep. My school suggested Kings school before starting also.

Welcome!
I used the Cessna/King online ground package and it was pretty good. The videos are a bit dated, but still relevant. FAR/AIM, PHAK and airplane flying handbook are great resources to read while not flying. Just before your written, I can't recommend the Sporty's private pilot study buddy app enough. It was about $10 and allowed me to run through questions directly from the written at work, home, anywhere...

I also used King and thought it was great.
Get into the air as soon as you can! Everything you learn on the ground will make more sense if you get to see and experience it in reality.

Hi all!

I'm retiring to the cockpit after a couple decade absence (considering a midlife career change). Have my SEL and MEL and, once current, will shoot for IFR, CPL and maybe CFI. I'm enjoying reading the boards so far. Lot's to learn from you all.

I'm at that point where one starts to lose sleep prior to a checkride. 15 days away and my brain is so loaded with knowledge that it wakes me up at 2am.
Can’t wait to hear how well you do! Be sure to give us a write up!

I'm at that point where one starts to lose sleep prior to a checkride. 15 days away and my brain is so loaded with knowledge that it wakes me up at 2am.

Losing sleep 2 weeks out? Man, you’re going to be exhausted long before the day. Calm down. Drink something. Drink a lot of something.

You’re ready or your CFI wouldn’t have endorsed you. Look at it this way: you have already passed the test; he’s just asking the gov’t to confirm it.

Likely he’s had some cancellations and can fit you in Mon or Tue. :)
I did mention not flying in a hurricane and said “That’s ADM right there.” He said I get brownie points for that.

Losing sleep 2 weeks out? Man, you’re going to be exhausted long before the day. Calm down. Drink something. Drink a lot of something.

You’re ready or your CFI wouldn’t have endorsed you. Look at it this way: you have already passed the test; he’s just asking the gov’t to confirm it.

I am calm. Sorta. Just been waiting 31 years for this day, thinking I'd never be able to make it happen for about 99‰ of the time. I'm not worried about the checkride really, just well-aware of how much it means to me that I'm actually doing this. Been sleeping OK since that night!

Back