Imagine Star Trek is real....(government jurisdiction)

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
You're approaching a class M planet and drop from warp to impulse drive. You prepare a transport to enter the planet's atmosphere and find a suitable landing zone to do some scientific exploration.

Unbeknownst to you, the planet has some insane rules regarding arbitrary altitudes at which the rules of flight completely change. What likely started as a VFR flight now finds itself well within the walls of IFR, just because you descended through 60,000 ft.

Do we align each planet's flight laws with a central governing body within the Federation, or would each planet retain the rights to set their own laws? Could a planet ground and confiscate a ship to ground shuttle for violating one of these laws?

Align the flight rules. But let each planet have its own rules for ground cars.

would each planet retain the rights to set their own laws? Could a planet ground and confiscate a ship to ground shuttle for violating one of these laws?
Initially, each planet would retain the right to set their own laws. But over time, the Supreme Court would infringe on these "planet rights" because a remote central governing body knows better than the locals.

Ok flip the script here....

Aliens come to visit earth for the first time and enter class B airspace without clearance or even possessing a transponder not to mention not being in compliance with annual inspections, transponder checks, etc. In fact not one of them even has an FAA recognized pilot certificate.

Is the FAA going to go after them?

I have to think they'd have approach plates for that; just like we have now. These would start much higher.

Why do you ask as if the autopilot isn't flying the ship?

You're approaching a class M planet and drop from warp to impulse drive. You prepare a transport to enter the planet's atmosphere and find a suitable landing zone to do some scientific exploration.

Unbeknownst to you, the planet has some insane rules regarding arbitrary altitudes at which the rules of flight completely change. What likely started as a VFR flight now finds itself well within the walls of IFR, just because you descended through 60,000 ft.

Do we align each planet's flight laws with a central governing body within the Federation, or would each planet retain the rights to set their own laws? Could a planet ground and confiscate a ship to ground shuttle for violating one of these laws?
By the time of Star Trek, ICAO will have expanded its jurisdiction, and the governing body in Brussells will have created rules whether they make sense or not. They will rename it the Inter-Galactic Aerospace Organization, or IGAO.

Cut off federation funding for any planet that doesn’t follow federation rules. But pretend each planet has autonomy.
You mean, like parents do?

"You're 18, you can do whatever you want to. Just don't expect to live here and have us pay all your bills if you're going to (insert dumb-a$$ life decision here)."

You mean, like parents do?

"You're 18, you can do whatever you want to. Just don't expect to live here and have us pay all your bills if you're going to (insert dumb-a$$ life decision here)."

Nah, the Federation Council might be made up 50% senile four decade repeat electees in the Senate and not the relatively in touch parents who are 30-40 years younger. LOL.

Interesting. I thought to myself Colorado. Then I look at the signature.

Initially, each planet would retain the right to set their own laws. But over time, the Supreme Court would infringe on these "planet rights" because a remote central governing body knows better than the locals.
Why do you think that humans are forced to travel ever farther into the cosmos to escape the rigid hand of the Central Government?

Speaking ENTIRELY hypothetically.. ofcourse

--bringing this back (somewhat) to reality.. with exploration of Moon, and now Mars.. and talks of a flying Mars drone, I do wonder if there is some sort of proprietary Mars airspace system that they've drawn up

Why do you think that humans are forced to travel ever farther into the cosmos to escape the rigid hand of the Central Government?
... ignoring, of course, that the blessing of the Central Government -- rigid hand and all -- is currently the one and only way to travel off-planet in the first place.

... ignoring, of course, that the blessing of the Central Government -- rigid hand and all -- is currently the one and only way to travel off-planet in the first place.
That's easy: Just launch from a country with less-restrictive laws.

... I do wonder if there is some sort of proprietary Mars airspace system that they've drawn up

Proprietary to whom? Martians I guess. They should certainly have first dibs. And can you really call it AIR space? Wouldn't Martian-atmosphere-space be a better description? After all, a Martian wouldn't know what air is anyway. Prolly kill em to breathe the stuff.

Like an idiot I actually spend several minutes looking for this approach in MSP.. (wow).. but in the meantime I did find this, which seems totally real

"prior permission required" .. I'll take 'obvious things for $500 Trebek'

upload_2019-8-22_14-49-55.png

PS - the physics of this approach are interesting... the heavier weights actually have a shallower glideslope angle.. took me a second to wrap my around that one

That's easy: Just launch from a country with less-restrictive laws.
Ariane launches from Guiana (northern coast of South America). There's also the Kodiak Launch Center, which is essentially owned by the state of Alaska. Don't know if it's been repaired since the explosion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Spaceport_Complex_–_Alaska

Operations at Kodiak are interesting. They have to close off the coast for each launch, which ticks off the fishing boats. So they HIRE the fishing boats and their crews to patrol the fringes of the restricted area.

See a lot wildlife, there. On one visit, there was a herd of bison in the parking lot of the control center....

Ron Wanttaja

(really nerding out now)

But I do appreciate that in the late 2000's BSG reboot they have some scenes of them landing the Raptors (no, not he Australian dude) onto the Galactica and it seems they are using a localizer and glideslope type system, that you can see in some of the shots. I appreciated that subtle hat tip to real world aviation

I have a starship???? I can crack a planet??? If feeling collegial, I might transmit my intentions so the other traffic can be warned away. Anything that looks to become "coincident in space/time" gets vaporized. Based on the laws of physics, the starship always has right of way.

Pain killers can create interesting posts.
I'm not sure but I think I was sober when I wrote the. Hard to say with certainty tho....days and nights are blending together nicely.

My scar should be interesting. The wound looks like someone slit my throat.

Hahaha. I bet you could get someone to believe it too. All sorts of fun stories you could make up with that one. LOL.

“They tried to have me killed once... once.”

Obviously you would be on an IFR flight plan as there would be no way to navigate between planets with no horizon. You would need a sizeable collection of approach plates and your ifr clearance may be lengthy.

Back