The media and plane crashes

Tantalum

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
San_Diego_Pilot
Does anyone know what the ethical standard (if there is one) for posting an actual photo of the aircraft type, vs just a stock photo of a random plane, and if just a stock photo is used what kind of disclosure is required?

You'll often see something like "Delta jet delayed after brawl on plane in Nashville" and the plane will be something small like a CRJ however the photo they'll use is a Delta 747 climbing out of like Seoul or something

.. why is this sort of thing considered acceptable? If you see a news article that says "France to consider banning cheese" they're not going to put a picture of a random country.. If you see "Golden Gate Bridge to receive major repairs" they're not just going to use a stock photo of a road.. so what gives? Is there some reason? Just recently someone here posted a news article about a single engine plane crashing somewhere and the photo they used was of a twin piston, not even the same manufacturer

Does anyone know what the ethical standard (if there is one) for posting an actual photo of the aircraft type, vs just a stock photo of a random plane, and if just a stock photo is used what kind of disclosure is required?

You'll often see something like "Delta jet delayed after brawl on plane in Nashville" and the plane will be something small like a CRJ however the photo they'll use is a Delta 747 climbing out of like Seoul or something

.. why is this sort of thing considered acceptable? If you see a news article that says "France to consider banning cheese" they're not going to put a picture of a random country.. If you see "Golden Gate Bridge to receive major repairs" they're not just going to use a stock photo of a road.. so what gives? Is there some reason? Just recently someone here posted a news article about a single engine plane crashing somewhere and the photo they used was of a twin piston, not even the same manufacturer

Just laziness

Because not everyone knows what an airplane looks like.??

I'll admit, I have trouble distinguishing a C-172 from a KAI KUH-1 Surion....

France is considering banning cheese? Damnit! :mad:

BTW - How old is that picture of N21272? When I flew it, it didn't look like that.

Last edited:
Same goes for Hollywood. I can’t tell you the number of movies I’ve watched where they’ll have a radial engine sound for a turbine or vice versa. Same goes for motorcycles in movies. Crotch rocket sound on a 2 stroke dirt bike or vice versa. Just plain ole ignorance in my book.

Same goes for Hollywood.

Or when one scene the bad guy, or the good guy, is driving a Ford, then the next scene is a Chevy, then back to the Ford...

I tend to notice those things. I need to get a life....

No standard. But really nice airport PR people will keep N-numbers out of crash photography if they can.

Until someone offers conclusive proof to the contrary, I no longer believe reporters can read, write or speak in whole sentences.
They certainly have no research skills, and lack the ability to ask intelligent questions.
Because they are normal, average people, probably, and very much like most of us. Or at least those around us.

Because they are normal, average people, probably, and very much like most of us. Or at least those around us.

Not if you ask them. They’re saving the world. One traffic report at a time. LOL.

And don’t forget how high a pedestal people put the national level ones on. If their favorite pundit said it, it must be true, right? And important? LOL.

Heck, back when I was current, everything with one engine was a Piper Cub, every twin was Sky King's twin... And everything else was a jet.

Today every handgun is a Glock, every rifle is an assault rifle.

Mainstream media hires pretty faces to be talking heads. No real journalism anymore.

Who, what, when, where, and why (the latter ONLY if FACTUAL); are antiquated guidelines. If it bleeds it leads....or

There was a GA "Incident" at KRST yesterday. The reporters sounded disappointed to report that "No one was killed." They kept repeating that phrase.

“Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. I’m really just a normal, average guy like you, so I really don’t know what most of these controls and indicators do. But I assume you have no expectation of professionalism on my part, so here we go!”

Washington DC news station (ABC affiliate) gave us a couple minutes on the Russian Nuclear Cruise Missile, with graphics of an ICBM and MIRV warheads. It was also painfully clear they were confused by the difference between a nuclear warhead and nuclear proplusion.

Media get an exalted position, 'cause the bring us the "truth" - mostly the truth is they're selling cars, trucks, cell phones, and insurance. Just lightweight fluff, reported in ignorance, to keep us engaged between the commercials.

Back