To pre buy or not...

simtech

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Simtech
I'm looking at a plane at my home airport and as it turns out my mechanic is the mechanic on that plane as well and they just completed the annual.

So the question is..prebuy with a total different mechanic or since my mech works on that plane just go with it?

I'm looking at a plane at my home airport and as it turns out my mechanic is the mechanic on that plane as well and they just completed the annual.

So the question is..prebuy with a total different mechanic or since my mech works on that plane just go with it?
All I can offer is to get advice from @SixPapaCharlie . :)

If it was me, I’d make the decision based on whether or not I trust the mechanic.

Personally, I'd have to have a lot of confidence in my mechanic to forego a pre-purchase inspection by a different pair of eyes. It's not that the mechanic who has been maintaining it isn't a good mechanic, but I've seen good mechanics I really respect overlook a problem year after year and another guy with a fresh look sees an issue right away.

Yeah if it was me, I think I’d use your mechanic. He ought to be the most familiar with it after completing the annual. Of course a second opinion never hurts either.

I was in the exact same situation back in Jan. I bought the plane without a pre-buy. A few months later we did a no surprises annual. As of now I’m still quite happy with how it went down and the plane is doing fine.

I'd still open it up and take a look see. Got a bore scope? Annual and pre-buy are not the same.

V TAIL and I fully understand the ruddervator problems..hehe this plane had them recently stripped and painted so I'll take my chances. I know, I know....hahaha
as long as you're informed and understand the opportunity cost moving forward in your ownership experience, then by all means. Your monkey your circus brother. Good luck to ya!

as long as you're informed and understand the opportunity cost moving forward in your ownership experience, then by all means. Your monkey your circus brother. Good luck to ya!
We already have ruddervator spares. Non issue.

Check mine out! It is flawless in and out. And its fast with the IO-550
1960 M35 IO-550 BONANZA • $139,000 • AVAILABLE • Up for grabs is my highly modified M35 Bonanza. This airplane is a dream to fly, beautiful to look at and a true performer! 300HP IO-550 and 3 blade prop really make it haul the mail. The panel has been replaced with the D'shannon panel. Garmin 530W, S-tec autopilot, Stormscope, EDM 700 monitor, etc, etc.Rear window replaced with the newer style, extended baggage, new style air vents in ceiling, flip down side windows, stinger tail cone. The airframe it really clean with no signs of corrosion. It is being flown but times are close 5800TT, 1385 Since factory reman, 1000 ECI Nickel cylinders. • Contact Shawn Hendrickson, - located Brenham, TX United States • Telephone: 979-451-3251 • Posted July 24, 2019 • Show all Ads posted by this AdvertiserRecommend This Ad to a FriendEmail AdvertiserSave to WatchistReport This AdView Larger Images

They’re in the hangar, not for sale. Literally already have a set.
You're shifting the goal post. That doesn't make it a non-issue, just a non-issue for you. Ya might wanna help the dude on page 85 of the BT thread that doesn't seem to have your luck though. Their experience seems to contradict yours. They are AOG UFN.

Fact: Textron does NOT have skins available yet at any price for the aggregate 35 lineup. Insurance renewals are already on the uptick, my buddy just got slapped with it. He's going A36 so he's divesting himself of the problem.

Call Textron. Hoarding one-off parts from the ol' boy network does not a non-issue make.

You're shifting the goal post. That doesn't make it a non-issue, just a non-issue for you. Ya might wanna help the dude on page 85 of the BT thread that doesn't seem to have your luck though. Their experience seems to contradict yours. They are AOG UFN.

Fact: Textron does NOT have skins available yet at any price for the aggregate 35 lineup. Insurance renewals are already on the uptick, my buddy just got slapped with it. He's going A36 so he's divesting himself of the problem.

Call Textron. Hoarding one-off parts from the ol' boy network does not a non-issue make.
Non-issue for my circle. That's all that matters

@simtech Is it glass, semi-glass, or steam? Just curious.
Steam with a 530w and some other goodies,are those glass they are big...hahaha I kid

@hindsight2020 insurance is my next thing. We are flying the plane over to a local agent and having a chat. Depending on what he says I'll make my final go/go-no and I also understand things can change year to year. Heck most are saying their insurance is going up regardless of airframe.

If you’ve used the mechanic and you trust him, go with him.

@hindsight2020 insurance is my next thing. We are flying the plane over to a local agent and having a chat. Depending on what he says I'll make my final go/go-no and I also understand things can change year to year. Heck most are saying their insurance is going up regardless of airframe.

No dog in your specific airplane make/model fight, but I'll give ya my personal anecdote. My insurance did not go up this year (low hull value Arrow, 1M policy with per pax caps, but I fly with family only so I'm cool with the limits). To be pedantic, it actually went down 30 bucks. :dunno:. I have however heard the complaint this year from my circle of GA acquaintances fwiw.

Friends/Coworkers with a Lance, Cherokee six 260 and V-tail (S35) respectively otoh, did see an increase this year, the V-tail Bo being the highest (400/yr for a guy with no claims). I pried, as they did their brokers. Case for the PA-32s, low-time dumbos keep crashing them (both in motion ground and landing accidents). The Lance guy did re-up his hull 20K, the six 260 guy left it alone. For the Bo, ruddervator's cat is out the bag. Don't shoot the messenger, that's what he told me the agent proferred to him.

To be clear, these dynamics are not unique. The 210 for instance has suffered from this dynamic for the better part of a decade now. As these things continue to get older and the hull support becomes cantankerous (especially the one off high value parts, actuators, pivots, RVs, wing carrythroughs) insurance market will behave accordingly until only those willing to self-insure are the only players of consequence. Textron is wringing its hands, make no mistake. That's not a bug, that's the feature.

If you get a word with the agent, feel free to share back what your experience was, as it can shine a light of the current and perhaps changing dynamics of our little hobby as we move into the second decade of this century. I'm certainly passively indexing these trends one a pre- and post- recession basis, timing my next airplane strike myself.

If you’ve used the mechanic and you trust him, go with him.

I am normally one that advocates for second set of eyes...but of those eyes are already the ones that YOU trust your life with I would not hesitate to just move forward trusting him.

No dog in your specific airplane make/model fight, but I'll give ya my personal anecdote. My insurance did not go up this year (low hull value Arrow, 1M policy with per pax caps, but I fly with family only so I'm cool with the limits). To be pedantic, it actually went down 30 bucks. :dunno:. I have however heard the complaint this year from my circle of GA acquaintances fwiw.

Friends/Coworkers with a Lance, Cherokee six 260 and V-tail (S35) respectively otoh, did see an increase this year, the V-tail Bo being the highest (400/yr for a guy with no claims). I pried, as they did their brokers. Case for the PA-32s, low-time dumbos keep crashing them (both in motion ground and landing accidents). The Lance guy did re-up his hull 20K, the six 260 guy left it alone. For the Bo, ruddervator's cat is out the bag. Don't shoot the messenger, that's what he told me the agent proferred to him.

To be clear, these dynamics are not unique. The 210 for instance has suffered from this dynamic for the better part of a decade now. As these things continue to get older and the hull support becomes cantankerous (especially the one off high value parts, actuators, pivots, RVs, wing carrythroughs) insurance market will behave accordingly until only those willing to self-insure are the only players of consequence. Textron is wringing its hands, make no mistake. That's not a bug, that's the feature.

If you get a word with the agent, feel free to share back what your experience was, as it can shine a light of the current and perhaps changing dynamics of our little hobby as we move into the second decade of this century. I'm certainly passively indexing these trends one a pre- and post- recession basis, timing my next airplane strike myself.

My T Lance insurance went down...... sounds like he should have shopped a better broker. Tom Hauge at Wings Insurance..... give him a ring.:blowingkisses:

My T Lance insurance went down...... sounds like he should have shopped a better broker. Tom Hauge at Wings Insurance..... give him a ring.:blowingkisses:
Thank you. I will indeed pass the recommendation!

Ive owned my Cherokee 180D for 4 or 5 years...started at $680 and now down to $470 but I just recently raised my Hull value $20k so now its $511. Steady decrease but its a lowly Cherokee and I have my instrument for what that is worth. Ive recently talk with a buddy who has an M35 and recently renewed his insurance and it did not go up and he is using the same agent I'm going to go chat with. I too am trying to time the market but more so in the sale of mine and the increase I get for it will help with the increase of the Bo purchase. It all relative in my mind, trying to buy in right now for the first time though...eek. But being a forever plane and that Bonanza's seem to hold value Ill hope to ebb and flow, its only a loss if you sell and Ill have no plans. Though I know crap happens too.

I'm not going into this blind that's for sure, a little smitten yes, but blind no. hahaha This will be my forever plane and if they get dinged up insurance can pay me out and ill be finished flying, if they corrode...well..ill sit in the hangar and cry with my plane.

Once I talk with Agent Ill report what he is saying for sure.

Do you trust that your AP is giving you the straight dope about the plane and the previous owner’s maintenance habits?

ie routinely deferring instead of always fixing?

I think a second opinion is in order.

If my mechanic, also the guy who’s going to be working on my new to me airplane, does an annual on an airplane I’m thinking about buying, I’m good to go. The gold standard for a PPI is an annual from your own mechanic. Me, I’d thank my lucky stars and buy it.

Check mine out! It is flawless in and out. And its fast with the IO-550
1960 M35 IO-550 BONANZA • $139,000 • AVAILABLE • Up for grabs is my highly modified M35 Bonanza. This airplane is a dream to fly, beautiful to look at and a true performer! 300HP IO-550 and 3 blade prop really make it haul the mail. The panel has been replaced with the D'shannon panel. Garmin 530W, S-tec autopilot, Stormscope, EDM 700 monitor, etc, etc.Rear window replaced with the newer style, extended baggage, new style air vents in ceiling, flip down side windows, stinger tail cone. The airframe it really clean with no signs of corrosion. It is being flown but times are close 5800TT, 1385 Since factory reman, 1000 ECI Nickel cylinders. • Contact Shawn Hendrickson, - located Brenham, TX United States • Telephone: 979-451-3251 • Posted July 24, 2019 • Show all Ads posted by this AdvertiserRecommend This Ad to a FriendEmail AdvertiserSave to WatchistReport This AdView Larger Images

Nice looking plane.

Will that include a lifetime supply of Bluebell.??

Do your own pre-buy and let the A&P button it up after you are done.

If my mechanic, also the guy who’s going to be working on my new to me airplane, does an annual on an airplane I’m thinking about buying, I’m good to go. The gold standard for a PPI is an annual from your own mechanic. Me, I’d thank my lucky stars and buy it.

Lucky stars.

Back when we were searching, the plane we ended up buying happened to be at an authorized Mooney service center the 1st day we went to look at it. It was up on jacks, seats and carpet out, cowling off, and all inspection panels had been removed. Right in the middle of an annual. Both the shop and plane owner had no issues with us crawling through it, so my partner and I spent a half day with flashlights and mirrors looking inside every port, under every panel, etc. It was really great luck to have the opportunity to extensively inspect the plane.

At the end of the annual, the owner took car of all of the squawks identified by the service center, and upon conclusion we did the deal. She's been a good bird!

Lucky stars.

Lucky stars.

Back when we were searching, the plane we ended up buying happened to be at an authorized Mooney service center the 1st day we went to look at it. It was up on jacks, seats and carpet out, cowling off, and all inspection panels had been removed. Right in the middle of an annual. Both the shop and plane owner had no issues with us crawling through it, so my partner and I spent a half day with flashlights and mirrors looking inside every port, under every panel, etc. It was really great luck to have the opportunity to extensively inspect the plane.

At the end of the annual, the owner took car of all of the squawks identified by the service center, and upon conclusion we did the deal. She's been a good bird!

Lucky stars.
I was rather in the same boat. the airplane was largely disassembled for annual, though the wing inspection plates were mostly still on. A mechanic and I spent a full day poking and prodding at everything. Couldn't really find anything wrong with eh aircraft. I've been very happy with her ever since.

I would get a targeted prebuy and focus on high dollar items. Checking for corrosion, including pulling interior panels as required, fuel leaks, and borescope the engine (rarely done at annual). Ignoring items like lights, avionics (you can do during test flight), swinging the gear, etc. If your mechanic asks, tell him you’re focusing on items not addressed during annuals.

Tom

prebuy with a total different mechanic or since my mech works on that plane just go with it?
I've seen both sides from the mx point. In my experience, it depends on your relationship with this mechanic and his relationship with the current owner. If he's in the middle and up front then there should be no problem to go through a pre-buy of the aircraft with just you and him. That would get you into the loop and where he stands on the aircraft.

How happy have you been with the mechanic when he worked on your plane? Was he thorough? Honest? Knowledgeable? If you buy this plane, will you still use him?

Typically I recommend a different mechanic for a pre-buy than the one who has been working on it. However in your case if the answers to the questions above are all positive, I’d sit down with him and ask him all about the plane to see if he knows of anything that might be of concern now or in the future. If the two of you have a good relationship and if he knows that you will be retaining his services, he might be surprisingly open and honest about the plane.

Back