Caught on Camera: 172 Lands VFR at Logan International

Enjoyed that!

Whew I'm exhausted after watching the landing & departure. I've mixed it up with the big boys at a couple of Charlies before but that was next level for a 172.

IAD is my biggest so far. Pretty funny seeing a 182 next to 777s and Falcons

How much were the landing fees?

I've never landed at a Bravo but have landed at Havana, Cuba and Guatemala City which were pretty busy. I'm based at KRNO (Class C) so it's pretty normal to have 737s all over the place and a few larger ones.

I'm guessing they missed the radio calls because they were talking to each other like they were flying into a sleepy Class D. This is why there's the sterile cockpit rule in 121.

I'm guessing they missed the radio calls because they were talking to each other like they were flying into a sleepy Class D. This is why there's the sterile cockpit rule in 121.

Yeah something ain’t right there.

The whole thing was kinda boring to me. My Delta handles ridiculous levels of traffic and talks that fast.

Missing multiple radio calls isn’t appreciated.

Not sure what "short approach" he was doing if the tower had to correct him to tell him to go direct to the numbers.

Operated out of IAD for over a decade in everything from a 170 up to the Navion.

Great video of slipping that puppy right down to roundout and flare. I got that link copied and saved. Pictures worth a thousand words

Yeah something ain’t right there.

The whole thing was kinda boring to me. My Delta handles ridiculous levels of traffic and talks that fast.

Missing multiple radio calls isn’t appreciated.

Ha, I fly out of a private grass strip now, but I was thinking about Centennial the whole time I watched that vid and thought, "Wow, I handled radio traffic better than that as a solo student..." but that's what you learn when you fly out of a place like APA. I'm glad I did. I can go nearly anywhere now and nothing is ever unexpected, surprising, or unusual. It might be unfamiliar, but that's a whole 'nuther story. :)

I learned at a short, obstructed airport, but my towered training was into Baltimore/Washington International, then known as Friendship. We flew in on weekday evenings, and it was busy, but most of the time, we did not need to sidestep for airliners behind us. Later, my Instrument and Commercial check rides were into BWI, and both of them had interruptions. The IR, outside the FAF, "Could you do a very slow 360 to the left to allow a heavy to pass?" Affirmative. Then as I approached the fix the second time, "could you maintain at least 100K to provide proper spacing for the heavy behind you?" Asked the DPE if we were landing, he said no, and I agreed to 100K (the DPE had also said that if I blew it, speed would not be an excuse). Flying in that sort of environment prepares you for the real life of major terminals.

Over the years since, I have landed at ALL the Washington area airports, including Andrews Airbase, plus MIA, STL, RDU, JAX, SAV, CVG, and transited New York City, Logan, Chicago, and Atlanta several times.

That early introduction to the big ones was essential to my comfort in my early long cross country trips, landing at major airports or transiting through their airspace.

The pilot in the video spent too much of his valuable attention to the video, and not nearly enough to his flying. Missing a radio call to your own plane should not happen. I missed one on my IR check ride, but was flying a rental, and forgot which one I was in. The DPE called me on that, and I immediately responded, the only glitch on the ride. The video would have been better if the pilot had a friend doing all the video monitoring, and the left seat had concentrated on accurate flying. I am a believer in the sterile cockpit in the near airport environment.

Have done Tampa ,Charlotte,In my airplane ,did Logan part 135.

Wouldn't there be a chance of a nice roll for a small plane because of the huge wingtip vortices after an airliner?

I would never post videos of my flights. Too many comments from Perfect Pilots here.

Ahh, just evaluate them and if they have useful content, listen to that, and ignore the rest. Kinda like all of the rest of the Internet.

Wouldn't there be a chance of a nice roll for a small plane because of the huge wingtip vortices after an airliner?[/QUOTE

That was back in the 70's, when we were still sorting out the danger of the vortex. I flew on the + or one dot high, so was above the turbulence, and executed the missed as high as was acceptable. Remember, you can break off too high, and pass, break to low, you fail. The DPE and I were in agreement on this issue. That was probably the closest that I have followed a heavy, ever.

Haven't watched the video, but I've been into Logan a dozen times now in small GA aircraft (an Arrow, a V-tail Bonanza and most recently last few times in a Beech Duchess), all as Angel Flights (so maybe ATC is nicer to me, don't know, but just listening on the freq, my experience has been they have been nothing but helpful). I have tried to take flights that are off peak hours, but I have done a couple late Friday afternoon (5 PM) departures, and that gets interesting- ground will hand you off with a "monitor tower" meaning don't call us, we'll call you. So you basically do a rolling run up and then when your number is called you acknowledge the departure clearance and off you go. But generally its been uneventful. Finding the runway on arrival is not a problem, its an airport (have only had to do two instrument approaches in IMC, all the rest have been nice VFR days). It usually gets really interesting once you are on the ground and taxiing around. Hardest was the one night departure because being down low in a small airplane, it looks like a sea of blue taxi lights in front of you, its tricky to make sure you are where you are supposed to be. Asking for a progressive taxi may exasperate the ground controller, but they prefer that to you wandering around confused. I did screw up once (poor CRM with my co-pilot, but all my fault) and was then given progressive taxi instructions whether I wanted them or not. Funny enough, the shortest runway I have ever landed the Duchess on was at Logan- 33R is only 2557'. Took me a bit by surprise when I was given that clearance, and that is plenty of room if you land the Duchess right, but geez did it look even smaller sitting inside that pretty large runway complex! And the runway end is right at a taxiway and then after that is a quick trip down a bank and into some water, so yeah, wanted to make sure I was on proper approach speed!

I've been in and out of several class B. I was based at IAD for years (and still go back there fairly regularly). I'd say I'd never had issues with 95% of the controllers. There's always one guy who either is hostile or is just having a bad day. Sometimes it rises to the level of a safety issue and then I call it in to report.

Back