Engine Monitor Installation How-To (Video)

Martin Pauly

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Martin Pauly
I recently (just before Oshkosh) ditched my factory engine gauges and EDM 800, and installed a JPI EDM 930 instead. If you wonder what it takes to do that, you may find some useful information in this video.

We went with the overlay panel option (as opposed to a full new instrument panel) for cost reasons, and because I have a feeling this isn't going to be my last upgrade in the foreseeable future. The A&P did all the metal work himself; looking back, I think he would have outsourced it to somebody with the right kind of CNC machine.

Other than that, I'm very happy with the result.

Wow! Very nice Martin. Out of curiosity, how many man hours did the install take?

I had the same issue when I made a new breaker panel for my airplane. My A&P spent a ton of time trying to do it by hand, and in the end I ended up just CADing it up and having a machine shop make it.

Thank you Martin! Bought a 930 at osh and it gets installed this fall. A friend is a machinist with access to a water cutter to cut the overlay.

Wow! Very nice Martin. Out of curiosity, how many man hours did the install take?
Probably around 50-60, but a good chunk of that was the metal work. We should have just outsourced that.
- Martin

Great work. Your panel upgrade videos have been a good primer on how to do owner assisted maintenance and generally how to manage a relationship with an A&P

Here is part 2 of the video, showing the test flight as well as the fuel level calibration process.
And of course at the end I start dreaming of the next upgrade...

Back