This gal should buy a lottery ticket

It's that 1 in 212903910248329058902384120984 chance of having a defective chute, that gives me the bumblebee's about going skydiving.

It's that 1 in 212903910248329058902384120984 chance of having a defective chute, that gives me the bumblebee's about going skydiving.
I don't know what the odds of a defect are, but they are many times worse than your number. Probably millions of times worse.

Depending on who packed her chute, she might already have a lotto ticket. Depending on Canadian tort laws of course.

I don't know what the odds of a defect are, but they are many times worse than your number. Probably millions of times worse.

So then it is 1 in 212903910248329058902384.120984 ....I'm still not going skydiving.

That or never buy a lottery ticket ever again as she's used up all of her luck. :eek:

:D

Yeah, i always figured if Karma was a thing the lotto ticket wouldn't balance out. Need to find someone who had a really UNLUCKY incident. Those are the people that should buy lotto tickets - if Karma is a thing.

Depending on who packed her chute, she might already have a lotto ticket. Depending on Canadian tort laws of course.
she signed a waiver that specifically states.. if you die.. it aint our fault... so there is that. Skydiving is the only sport i know of where you pay *before* the service was provided to you.

Note: i said sport ... for all you dirty minded folks

she signed a waiver that specifically states.. if you die.. it aint our fault... so there is that. Skydiving is the only sport i know of where you pay *before* the service was provided to you.

Note: i said sport ... for all you dirty minded folks

waivers may or may not hold up, all depends on the jury.

she signed a waiver that specifically states.. if you die.. it aint our fault... so there is that.
That helps, but it isn't a get out of jail free card for liability. At least in the states that is, Not sure if Canada is different in that respect. Of course if she was an experienced fun jumper, I suppose its possible she packed the chute herself. Can you sue yourself?

I'd be curious to know more. Since she survived I assume there was canopy out slowing her down. Probably wasn't deployed, but it was likely out causing some drag. So was the primary cut away and out of the equation before the secondary went out? Did the failed primary cause the secondary not to deploy properly or did they both fail to deploy independently?

Some other articles I read just say that neither of her parachutes opened, not that they malfunctioned. The articles are all vague and give no solid indication as to the degree of deployment if any. It's possible that she just never pulled. Or maybe her main failed to open and she didn't go for the reserve. No mention in any article I have read so far that provides any evidence that indicates she attempted to deploy either chute. Also no mention if she had an AAD. So much yet to learn.

As to any liability or who packed her chute, the stories say she was an experienced jumper which typically would indicate that she was jumping her own gear and packed her own main. Her reserve would be packed by a certificated rigger, at least in the US. As such, the only other person with any liability outside of her should be the rigger. Even then, if there isn't any evidence that she attempted to deploy the reserve then the rigger should be off the hook. Of course I'm sure lawyers would still be willing to sue and could even persuade a jury without any knowledgeable jurors that someone else is at fault.

As to the fatality rate, one article I read had this info:
According to USPA, skydivers can hit speeds around 177 km/h (110 mph) while free falling. In 2018, the association recorded 13 fatal skydiving accidents in the U.S. out of roughly 3.3 million jumps - the lowest number in the sport's history. Before, there were 21 to 24 deaths per year since 2013, which was about one fatality per 253,669 jumps.

That helps, but it isn't a get out of jail free card for liability. At least in the states that is, Not sure if Canada is different in that respect. Of course if she was an experienced fun jumper, I suppose its possible she packed the chute herself. Can you sue yourself?

I'd be curious to know more. Since she survived I assume there was canopy out slowing her down. Probably wasn't deployed, but it was likely out causing some drag. So was the primary cut away and out of the equation before the secondary went out? Did the failed primary cause the secondary not to deploy properly or did they both fail to deploy independently?
lot of unknowns. there is always the classic "pilot error" - scenarios including she deployed the reserve before a clean cut away and the reserve got tangled with the main, which would certainly slow her down. other things like tangled chords in both chutes. even if she is a experienced skydiver, i believe, at least in US, the reserve is packed by a master packer

In my younger days, I did 3 jumps. In ground school we were taught to recognized a non-recoverable parachute deployment, and if the deployment of the main chute was not adequate, then we we would practice releasing the main chute before activating the spare. Activating a spare while a failed main chute is still attached can cause some obvious problems. Not saying that this is what happened, just one of the possible scenarios, given so little information being available at this time.

Back