Friends asking to go fly....

I'll surely catch flack for this but here goes: I think there are 2 camps here. The renters and the owners.

Sure the owners would love to have some of the flight paid for. But in reality if you can afford to own you better be able to afford the full costs all on your own. Many people have offered to pay and my response is that I was going with or without them so please no money (@WannFly excluded!).

You are in the other camp, renting and watching your costs. I think its fair to ask them to cover part of it. But maybe don't shock them with the entire cost. Just say something like "I'm still renting and its kinda spendy how about pitching in $50 towards the fuel". And definitely use @SoCal RV Flyer advice you can literally tell them "I'll fly you buy" when it comes to lunch or dinner stop :)
There’s a lot of truth to this and I don’t disagree at all.

But sometimes I go out of my way to make a flight nicer like flying circles over their house. Also, what would be an hour out of my day by myself is usually 3 hours with a guest, so paying some fuel costs to compensate for my going out of my way is appreciated. But I’ve never asked. It’s always a plus for me if offered. I’d be flying anyway after all.

When I want company on a flight,I usually find someone who has an interest with me,at no cost to them. I do own my airplane.

I'm happy to take up any acquaintances who are curious about flying...for free. If I'm going up anyway, there is no reason not to fill the right seat if it's empty. I find that some folks are too polite to ask. I have to ask them if they are interested. Then the enthusiasm comes out.

An honest comment you may need to consider... if you’re flying enough to truly stay proficient for carrying passengers, and by that I don’t mean FAA passenger carrying minimums, I mean proficient... then quite a number of your friends could join you for flights. Be cautious flying passengers when you’re rusty from a lack of flying. Whether due to personal economics or just time constraints if you’re a busy person working lots to feed your aviation habit.
:)

How would you define this? OP mentioned he’s flying 1x a week or so (let’s say2-3x a month). I think that’s more than most PPLs.

Curious what others think.

Hmm, ... I've always been up front with people who ask me to take them flying. I explain that it will be a rental aircraft, and its $145/hr. Never had anyone who really wanted to go even hesitate to split costs with me.

On the other hand, I've taken family and friends to some destination for lunch, or whatever, and never asked to be reimbursed.

This. I assume a lot of people are no longer interested once they learn about the costs involved for you, taking them on a joy ride... :confused:

Since we own our own plane we haven‘t asked for any contributions from people we offer to fly with us. You will be surprised though how many will chicken out, once you try to set up a date. On the other side I cannot tell you how many were requesting special dates just for them and family & friends, when I offered rides for our team. :confused::mad: At that point I friendly suggested to set up an introductory or sightseeing flight with the flight school at our airport... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have take about 60 coworkers (non pilots) over the years, all I ask they pick up half the fuel or breakfast. 7 of them went on to take lessons and 2 that I know of have now commercial ratings

Sure, I'll let you know when I've got an open seat or, if you want to pay for gas, we can go right now. Just get it out there right off the bat, no ambiguity. This is what it is.

I get asked an irritatingly often number of times "what'd it cost to fly me to (fill in the blank) beach?" Sometimes I dodge the question; sometimes I'm not in a tactful mood and tell them what the full up co$t would be. That convinces them to take Delta. OTOH, if I'm going somewhere and I know someone that might have an interest in that destination, I'll invite them and wouldn't expect any payment.

I've never asked for pro-rata. In 16 years as a pilot, I had dozens who claimed they couldn't wait for me to get my license and go flying -- once I passed checkride, crickets.

In all that time I've only had 3 coworkers go flying with me, and no non-pilot friends at all. (full disclosure -- these days, I don't have a lot of non-pilot friends :D ) One even refused "until you get your IFR" -- she couldn't explain to me what that meant or why she thought I didn't have it. :D

I too have never asked for pro-rata but have been offered many times, never taken though. Might as well have a passenger if I’m flying anyway, don’t particularly care to fly by myself.
Only person I asked to go flying that said no was my brother, knew he wouldn’t he’s scared of flying. Said he would go when I buy a twin and have more than 10,000 hours. Guess he’s never going flying.
I fly mostly with my wife and pilot friends. Whether or not my wife knows she is paying her pro-rata share:):):)

I completely agree it’s different if you own or rent... owning now a 5 gal an hour girl I wouldn’t think of splitting fuel... back when I had to rent... well.....

Didn't your momma ever teach you... "Ass, Gas or Grass, No One Rides for Free"!

Yeah, I've heard that a few times, but that always seems like kindof basically being a dick. You do you, but I don't think I want to be that guy.

Have you ever told your friends what it cost to fly a plane? Do they know it could cost $150 or more per hour? Just ask them, "What do you think it costs to rent a plane?"

I've had a lot of people act interested but never actually step up to go, I always thought it was because they were afraid to fly, but wanted to act brave, but maybe it's because they know it's expensive. Never thought of that one before.

Last edited:
I have a standing offer for any new controller that gets a rating in my tower that I'll take them up. Its two fold, first as an incentive to get their rating but most importantly to show them the other side of the radio, mainly spotting traffic which often in the day is difficult to see.

Unless they're a tool and then I don't offer. I've never had anyone pay and don't expect anyone to pay. Most will offer to buy lunch or breakfast and that's good enough for me.

Last edited:
I own my plane, and I generally never ask. But i always get lunch or breakfast paid for, and most of my friends will chip in for gas. Those are just joy rides or lunch flights. Now if they want to go farther, say Key West, then I generally expect them to help with some of the cost.

Back