PIREP Requested - KBLV

Rgbeard

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
rgbeard
I was born and raised in Belleville, IL, and planning to fly back there to visit family in mid-December of this year.

When I was there, BLV was just an idea, but didn't exist. My dad kept his plane at CPS, and that's where I did all my flying. Initially, I planned to come in to CPS to park the plane there.

But, wowwwza, I hit up airnav, and they're reporting fuel at CPS is $6.50, while at BLV it's only $5.34. Ya know, a dollar-fifteen gets my attention when I know the plane will be thirsty.

An email to the AVMATS FBO got nice, cooperative answers back, and indicated they team with Enterprise for rental cars. No hangars, but only a $1/day parking fee.

Am I missing something? Seems BLV is the place to land. Anyone with any inside scoop?

When I lived up in the Chicago area and had work at Scott AFB, I would fly into BVL. This was between 2000-2013.

The terminal was hilarious. Like a ghost town. Baggage carousels that didn’t appear to have ever run.

But the FBO was nice. Got me rental cars and the fuel was reasonable. The civialian side had the 10,000’ long runway which is always fun. Gives retracting the gear once “no usable runway remaining” a whole new meaning. :D

Thanks, Don!

I know the airport's kinda a political maneuver, and was somewhat of an answer looking for a problem when the politicians had it built.

Seemed just too-good-to-be-true from my perspective. Decent fuel, decent people from an exercise in government spending?

I'll be able to tell my own story after December.

Up until last fall, there were two FBOs at CPS . . . now it is really expensive. I go to Perryville, MO for fuel.

There is/was parking at CPS without going through the FBO if you contact the airport manager.

response I got from him a while back

Thank you for your email, you can tie-down at the airport without visiting an FBO if you select a tie down on the west side of the airport near the DC-3. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Thank you for your time.

Back