Female pilot suing former employer after being told she's 'too short' to fly; Gloria Allred represen

You're right that the case could be settled out of court, but how does the mere filing, or the court of public opinion, "force a settlement"?
It doesn’t, and that’s not all I said. She tries her cases in public court. I don’t know why you are pretending this is news to you.

This.

Make it a PR nightmare and they’ll settle before it gets to court.
Possible, I suppose, but "nightmare" sounds like an exaggeration to me. It's certainly not on the scale of what happened to United after Dr. Dao got beaten and dragged off one of their planes.

It doesn’t, and that’s not all I said. She tries her cases in public court. I don’t know why you are pretending this is news to you.
I don't know why you're pretending that I have paid attention to her one way or the other before now.

I don't know why you're pretending that I have paid attention to her one way or the other before now.
Ah, the “I’ve been living under a rock” argument. Lol. I’m kidding

It’s pretty hard to have listened to the news even occasionally the last two decades and not have heard about her.

It’s pretty hard to have listened to the news even occasionally the last two decades and not have heard about her.
Two decades ago is about when I realized that news programs are anything but news, so why bother.

Attorneys write motions and make public statements to support the case of their client. Somewhere between 50-75% of the details in most news stories are incorrect.

The details will matter in this case, as noted in many posts, and are not reliably discernible from present reports.

But oh well, continue arguing about them.

Not that hard. I listen to the news only occasionally. I have heard her name before, I'll give you that. Until I read this thread, I couldn't have told you if she was a lawyer or an actress or a model or an astronaut if you put a gun to my head.

So at this point I know she's a lawyer but I still don't know anything else about her other than some pilots on the internet seem to really not like her all that much. And in case anyone feels the need to try to explain to me just how horrible of a person she is and why, skip it. I really don't care.

Not that hard. I listen to the news only occasionally. I have heard her name before, I'll give you that. Until I read this thread, I couldn't have told you if she was a lawyer or an actress or a model or an astronaut if you put a gun to my head.

So at this point I know she's a lawyer but I still don't know anything else about her other than some pilots on the internet seem to really not like her all that much. And in case anyone feels the need to try to explain to me just how horrible of a person she is and why, skip it. I really don't care.
I don’t know her, so can’t say that I don’t like her. But I do see how she operates, and it’s all about the Benjamins.

I've heard her name before, but I haven't had any reason to follow her career nor to make a study of her practices. What's your point? I'm not a party to this lawsuit, and my personal characteristics have no bearing on the merits of it.

You're right that the case could be settled out of court, but how does the mere filing, or the court of public opinion, "force a settlement"?

The cost of litigation will usually drive an insurance company into offering something. The insurers are the original surrender monkeys.

I don’t know her, so can’t say that I don’t like her. But I do see how she operates, and it’s all about the Benjamins.
Unlike all the other attorneys, who don't care about money. ;)

Determining whether the suit has merit should not be based on the motivations of the attorneys arguing it.

The cost of litigation will usually drive an insurance company into offering something. The insurers are the original surrender monkeys.
Do they base that at all on the merits of the case, or is it just automatic that when a lawsuit gets filed, the insurance company pays up?

And the cost of a PR nightmare. Exactly what Allred wants.

Shouldn’t be, but it is. Welcome to real life.
How so? The insurance company will be basing their decision on the potential cost of going to court vs. the cost of settling. If it goes to court, the members of the jury will be unlikely to know what the motivations of the attorneys are.

How so? The insurance company will be basing their decision on the potential cost of going to court vs. the cost of settling. If it goes to court, the members of the jury will be unlikely to know what the motivations of the attorneys are.

You’re not thinking about the intangible costs of PR nightmares. Settling is easier for both parties sometimes. The “victim” gets paid quicker and the defendant gets to put everything behind them whether guilty or not. Some battles aren’t worth fighting.

You don’t know what the members of the jury will and won’t know. So based on your posting style you shouldn’t speculate right? ;) But regardless, that shouldn’t factor into their decision if they do their jobs as a jury (if there even is a jury).

The point I was furthering that was of the court of public opinion. It’s right in Allred’s wheelhouse and I guarantee she’ll try to push a settlement.

What I want to know is this. Did this plaintiff sit on her ass for two years or did she have another job?

Unlike all the other attorneys, who don't care about money. ;)

Determining whether the suit has merit should not be based on the motivations of the attorneys arguing it.
That’s just ignoring human nature. If you think you don’t have a case in court, but can get enough public sentiment behind you to win a settlement, you’re going to find a lawyer that is good at that (or they will find you)

You’re not thinking about the intangible costs of PR nightmares. Settling is easier for both parties sometimes. The “victim” gets paid quicker and the defendant gets to put everything behind them whether guilty or not. Some battles aren’t worth fighting.

You don’t know what the members of the jury will and won’t know. So based on your posting style you shouldn’t speculate right? ;) But regardless, that shouldn’t factor into their decision if they do their jobs as a jury (if there even is a jury).

The point I was furthering that was of the court of public opinion. It’s right in Allred’s wheelhouse and I guarantee she’ll try to push a settlement.

What I want to know is this. Did this plaintiff sit on her ass for two years or did she have another job?
If the claim is covered by insurance, won't the decision about whether to settle be made by the insurance company rather than NetJets? I don't see why the alleged PR issue would matter to the insurance company.

If the claim is covered by insurance, won't the decision about whether to settle be made by the insurance company rather than NetJets? I don't see why the alleged PR issue would matter to the insurance company.
I do not know who will make that decision or how it will be made.

My understanding is that, as a condition of an insurance company's providing legal representation in addition to indemnification, they get to make the decision about whether to settle or not (as long as the settlement amount is within the limits of the insurance). If so, then there would be no incentive for them to make a decision based on anything other than monetary considerations.

So, you are a volunteer and don't need money? What do you do, barter for everything? Trade services in kind? How do you buy groceries or avgas? Must be nice to live a life that isn't affected by Benjamins. For the record, I always thought that anyone who castigates others for 'only being in it for the money' was either extremely jealous, extremely underpaid, or has been beaten out by said golddigger, because, come on, man- we're *ALL* in it, whatever it is, for the money. (Maybe you love your job, but you're still collecting a paycheck somewhere, somehow, even if it's an earned pension from a job that you were in in order to earn money.)

So, you are a volunteer and don't need money? What do you do, barter for everything? Trade services in kind? How do you buy groceries or avgas? Must be nice to live a life that isn't affected by Benjamins. For the record, I always thought that anyone who castigates others for 'only being in it for the money' was either extremely jealous, extremely underpaid, or has been beaten out by said golddigger, because, come on, man- we're *ALL* in it, whatever it is, for the money. (Maybe you love your job, but you're still collecting a paycheck somewhere, somehow, even if it's an earned pension from a job that you were in in order to earn money.)
Pretty sure that’s not what Salty meant.

All I want to know is did this lady get another job? Or sit on her ass? Anyone know? LinkedIn didn’t indicate

Last edited:
For those who keep asking if she ever got another job, by the way she is dressed in the picture with Allred, it looks like she did. If she is just playing dress up then she comes up short in areas other than height.

pilot and allred.JPG

My understanding is that, as a condition of an insurance company's providing legal representation in addition to indemnification, they get to make the decision about whether to settle or not (as long as the settlement amount is within the limits of the insurance). If so, then there would be no incentive for them to make a decision based on anything other than monetary considerations.
The insurance company is not a party to the case, so can't settle it. But a defendant's decision not to accept a settlement can affect insurance coverage.

For those who keep asking if she ever got another job, by the way she is dressed in the picture with Allred, it looks like she did. If she is just playing dress up then she comes up short in areas other than height.

View attachment 76972
If she were a nurse would she go to her attorneys office for a press conference in scrubs?

Sorry, but she comes up short as described even if she is an acting pilot.

Ah, I see she has the "Karen" haircut.

If it goes to court, the members of the jury will be unlikely to know what the motivations of the attorneys are.

Anyone on a jury in a civil case involving money is an idiot if they don’t know the motivation of the plaintiff’s attorney is to get as much money as possible for the client while the defense attorney is motivated to avoid having the client pay any money at all.

But I repeat myself.

Cheers

Anyone on a jury in a civil case involving money is an idiot if they don’t know the motivation of the plaintiff’s attorney is to get as much money as possible for the client while the defense attorney is motivated to avoid having the client pay any money at all.

But I repeat myself.

Cheers
Good point!

View attachment 76972
Of course she’s playing dress up for the press conference! I wonder why they put her in a shirt that’s too big for her. Maybe it was to make her look smaller? One thing’s certain: every single thing you see in such a press conference is deliberate.

Of course she’s playing dress up for the press conference! I wonder why they put her in a shirt that’s too big for her. Maybe it was to make her look smaller? One thing’s certain: every single thing you see in such a press conference is deliberate.

And to me she loses any credibility that she might have had by doing that. If you are a working pilot, it's just silly to wear the uniform in that scenario. If you are not a working pilot, it is highly disingenuous.

OK, so her case is without merit because her shirt's too big and we don't like her lawyer. Got it.
I’m not saying that. I doubt anyone else is either. Even a scumbag can be deserving of a win. Doesn’t mean they aren’t a scumbag.

So she's a scumbag then?
Now you want to chip away at our ability to make any character judgement at all? Nah. You can’t have that. I’ll continue to make my judgements on her character based on the facts as they come to light. So far, I’m unimpressed.

You are free to do the same.

Ad hominem arguments are inherently weak, especially when it comes to legal matters.

Now you want to chip away at our ability to make any character judgement at all? Nah. You can’t have that. I’ll continue to make my judgements on her character based on the facts as they come to light. So far, I’m unimpressed.

You are free to do the same.
As long as you are not on the jury. At that point you would need to disclose your bias. I would too, and probably would not be selected.

Back