Instrument Training / Dual Garmin G5 Question

MJR Pilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
MJR Pilot
I recently purchased a Piper Arrow II with a standard 6-pack, dual VOR/CDI and Garmin 430W (see panel photo attached). I am getting the Garmin G5 Attitude indicator and G5 DG/HSI installed in a couple weeks - these will replace the current vacuum driven AI and DG. I want to have a backup vacuum driven AI, so my current AI is going to be moved to replace the bottom VOR/CDI on the right side of the photo. Once the installation is complete, I am planning to start on my instrument rating. My question is this (and apologies for the ignorance - I am just starting IFR ground school, so this question may not make sense): If I move the current vacuum driven AI to replace the bottom VOR/CDIs, would not having the 2 VOR/CDIs on top of each other make life difficult for IFR training and eventual checkride? An experienced pilot I know saw my current panel and commented that the dual VOR/CDI setup would be helpful for IFR - I didn't get to ask him why, so am posing the question to this forum. I didn't think it would be a big deal given the Garmin G5 DG/HSI is also a VOR/CDI, but would welcome any feedback from the group. Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• panel.jpg
    panel.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 31
Nope. The second CDI is only for IDing waypoints on VOR approaches, and that’s about it. I seriously doubt it’s an issue at all. You will have an HSI right in front of you driven off the 430.

I don’t know if it is possible or not, but ask your installer is they can put a NAV select switch to allow you to drive the G5 from the 430 or the SL30. It’s always nice to have options. But really, I can only see this being a need if you loose the 430 and need the SL30 for the ILS or VOR A approach is a worse case scenario.

Why would you want a backup vacuum AI, when the second G5 can also be an AI and have a 4 hour battery back up (on both of them)?

You may be the first person to install dual G5s and keep a vacuum pump.

Also, on the G5s you can also have an RMI overlay (underlay?) for the VOR.

Why would you want a backup vacuum AI, when the second G5 can also be an AI and have a 4 hour battery back up (on both of them)?

I will be the second. If I ditch my vacuum i need a new autopilot.

Same here. Someday I’ll put in a nice new autopilot, but for now I’ll have G5’s and a mechanical AI on the bottom left.

Nope. The second CDI is only for IDing waypoints on VOR approaches, and that’s about it. I seriously doubt it’s an issue at all. You will have an HSI right in front of you driven off the 430.

I don’t know if it is possible or not, but ask your installer is they can put a NAV select switch to allow you to drive the G5 from the 430 or the SL30. It’s always nice to have options. But really, I can only see this being a need if you loose the 430 and need the SL30 for the ILS or VOR A approach is a worse case scenario.

T

Thank you - very helpful. I'll stick to my plan for now. Will ask the installer about a NAV select switch - sounds like the right approach if doable. Thanks again.

I hear you, and I'm not ruling out just ripping out the vacuum system altogether. I figured the extra redundancy couldn't hurt, and I did some google image searching of dual G5s to see how others have set up their panel, and it looks like quite a few have kept/relocated the vacuum driven AI (but this may be required to drive a legacy autopilot - my A/P is INOP so no issue there). Question: would there be any point to keeping the existing dual VOR/CDIs given I'm going to have a G5 DG/HSI? Would seem that would result in my panel having 3 VOR/CDI receivers which would seem unnecessary - though maybe I can have NAV 1 drive both the G5 HSI and one of the existing VOR/CDIs so that I can have 2 displays of localizer and glideslope for redundancy? Not sure if that is helpful or doable? Appreciate any thoughts.

Back