ADS-B Traffic and Weather with Garmin 530 and MX20

mrcshbs

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Marcos STL
Currently I have a Garmin 530 non WAAS and a Garmin MX20 MFD. They work nice together. This airplane is simply a hamburger airplane and flying with friends. Nothing serious.

I am looking for something remote mounted like the Garmin GDL 50R. My question is: Which device can I get ADS-B IN on the MX20 and Foreflight at the same time? Can the Garmin GDL 50 display ADS B in on the MX20?

It would be nice to get ADS-B out on the same device, but I don’t mind 2 devices. I am going through a very expensive annual and I would need to stay below 3k for ADS B in and out and be able to display weather and traffic on the MX20 and Foreflight.

I was thinking Tail beacon from uavionix for 2k for ADS-B out and the Garmin GDL 50R for ADS-B in for $800. Total for ADS-B in and out would be 2800 (Please disregard the install cost for the sake of this thread), but I would like to know if it will work with MX20 MDF

Any help would be appreciated.

As of the manual version that I have, the GDL-50R is experimental only and can only connect to a Garmin handheld or the G3X Touch. Unless that has changed, it cannot connect to the MX20.

I read that GDL 50R from cover to cover, it does not mention the MX20 series at all.

Any other options?

For those of you on the same boat I am trying to get ADSB-B in on the MX20, the Garmin GDL 88 should do it.

Back