Friends asking to go fly....

Fabio

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Fabio
hello
Low time pilot here..
I have a lots of coworkers and friends that know I fly now and they are always asking to go fly with me.
I wouldn’t mind taking them up but when I fly usually every weekend or so I like to bring my family members along.
So for all the other times, I don’t really like spending $300 for a couple of hrs flying my friends around as often as they ask.
However I wouldn’t mind doing so if they could share some of the rental cost but I don’t ask them to do so because I feel” cheap “asking that.
Is there a more tasteful way to ask someone interested in flying to help share the cost of the rental?
Thanks for the help.

Scare one of them, badly. Word will get around - pull the mixture at altitude, then mumble something like "Crap, not again. . ."; demo a departure stall, letting the ball drift off center, then take a couple turns before recovery. Trim it full nose down, hold it level, then offer your co-worker/friend the yoke - then scream 'WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?????" when the earth fills the windscreen.

I've never asked for pro-rata. In 16 years as a pilot, I had dozens who claimed they couldn't wait for me to get my license and go flying -- once I passed checkride, crickets.

In all that time I've only had 3 coworkers go flying with me, and no non-pilot friends at all. (full disclosure -- these days, I don't have a lot of non-pilot friends :D ) One even refused "until you get your IFR" -- she couldn't explain to me what that meant or why she thought I didn't have it.

==

If you can't afford to take peeps flying, why not just say "ugh, it's so expensive, I wish I could" and have done? It's not a lie. :D

Scare one of them, badly. Word will get around - pull the mixture at altitude, then mumble something like "Crap, not again. . ."; demo a departure stall, letting the ball drift off center, then take a couple turns before recovery. Trim it full nose down, hold it level, then offer your co-worker/friend the yoke - then scream 'WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?????" when the earth fills the windscreen.

Yeah, don't do this. :) :)

Take your friend up, mid flight take out and wear the foggles and at the same time in boing 747 captain voice declare - your airplane

What are these 'friends' you are talking about ?

I’ve never asked for the pro-rats share from anyone I’ve taken up either, but have had a few demand to pay. I explain the rules about pro-rats and some have demanded to pay that, others I just tell them to take me to a nice lunch some other time. Especially friends we want to see more of anyway.

But if the budget was tight I wouldn’t be ashamed or bothered about politely saying I couldn’t afford to do it unless they could pitch in a little and let them decide if they want to go up that badly.

An honest comment you may need to consider... if you’re flying enough to truly stay proficient for carrying passengers, and by that I don’t mean FAA passenger carrying minimums, I mean proficient... then quite a number of your friends could join you for flights. Be cautious flying passengers when you’re rusty from a lack of flying. Whether due to personal economics or just time constraints if you’re a busy person working lots to feed your aviation habit.

Taking people for a flight is a good way to stay proficient. Just a different habit than flying to minimums in the pattern.

I think lots of us weekend warriors struggle with maintaining currency, or flying much, let alone staying proficient, in certain seasons of our fiscal life.

Take some of them flying. Maybe you’ll win over a convert who loves it enough to start taking lessons... you never know what you might spark. :)

I’ve found that most friends want to pay more than their share. If they aren’t trying to do this I’d question what kind of “friend” they are and not worry a whole lot what they think when you say you can’t.

I’m not proud to beg. ..... my only waiver to that is if I invite them to go, beucase I was going to go anyway.

Try this. When Joe asks, tell him "Yeah, let's do it! Pete and Bob want to fly, too, so let's find a Saturday and all 4 of us can go. That way it will only be about fifty bucks a piece.."

Now, as far as Joe knows, Bob and Pete have probably already agreed to kick in and he is unlikely to object or feel offended. Repeat the same act separately with Bob and Pete.

So for all the other times, I don’t really like spending $300 for a couple of hrs flying my friends around as often as they ask.
I'm not sure I understand this part. I fly for me. I have a list of people who've expressed interest in flying with me, and if I'm planning to do something interesting and feel like company, I'll call one or two.

Sometimes they offer money, sometimes they pay for lunch, sometimes they don't. But either way, they'd only be subsidizing a flight that I would take regardless.

So just tell your friends you'll call them if you ever have an empty seat. Then either you do or you don't. But don't let them dictate your plans (query whether that's even legal with a PPL).

How much would it cost your friends to charter a flight seeing trip in your area? I bet it's a lot more than splitting the cost of you flying them. I think most folks are more than willing to pitch in for their share of the cost of the flight.

I'm up front with friends and ask for 1/2 the cost of the fuel. No rental fees as I own my Sport.

I guess I could pro rate maintenance, tie down, insurance and all per hour and add that to the fuel cost. But I'm more than happy to leave that part of the equation out and just ask for a few gallons of fuel...:)

I’m not made of money, so I will always just politely mention splitting costs with my passengers. I tell them the costs per hour and then say ‘this is what it will cost.’ If they really want to go, they’ll pay, but they also shouldn’t expect that you’ll float the costs on your own, knowing how pricey it is.

The only exception to this are hot girls - they always fly free on Ryanb Airlines.

I’m not proud to beg. ..... my only waiver to that is if I invite them to go, beucase I was going to go anyway.
And if you weren’t, I hope you have a commercial ticket and possibly more. Lol

How much would it cost your friends to charter a flight seeing trip in your area? I bet it's a lot more than splitting the cost of you flying them. I think most folks are more than willing to pitch in for their share of the cost of the flight.

I'm up front with friends and ask for 1/2 the cost of the fuel. No rental fees as I own my Sport.

I guess I could pro rate maintenance, tie down, insurance and all per hour and add that to the fuel cost. But I'm more than happy to leave that part of the equation out and just ask for a few gallons of fuel...:)
Actually, you can only split the costs for the flight, not incidentals to ownership.

61.113 is pretty clear, but I’m sure we can find a way to argue about it.

(c) A private pilot may not pay less than the pro rata share of the operating expenses of a flight with passengers, provided the expenses involve only fuel, oil, airport expenditures, or rental fees.

Last edited:
The only exception to this are hot girls - they always fly free on Ryanb Airlines.
NSFo0E7.jpg

Actually, you can only split the costs for the flight, not incidentals to ownership.

61.113 is pretty clear, but I’m sure we can find a way to argue about it.
Agreed, we could argue about it. I'm not in an arguing mood, coffee, breakfast and head to hangar to add a few more incidentals to the list.:rolleyes:

Hmm, ... I've always been up front with people who ask me to take them flying. I explain that it will be a rental aircraft, and its $145/hr. Never had anyone who really wanted to go even hesitate to split costs with me.

On the other hand, I've taken family and friends to some destination for lunch, or whatever, and never asked to be reimbursed.

This does not apply to kids who want to fly, just adults.
Most kids don't care about the plane, just the adventure, and that attitude needs to be rewarded.

People asking for rides in the plane is only a problem for you "first world airplane" owners, and your fancy dan airplanes.
If you fly a "third world" airplane it's not much of a problem.
I show them the Cub and most people start finding excuses not to go.
It's 81 years old and looks like it. Peeling paint, bird droppings (no door on the hanger), ripped seat cushions, something or other is usually leaking. And a Cub is little.
If they still want to go I ask them how heavy they are. Nope too heavy, won't get off the ground. This one is hard. Some of these people really want to fly, so I will borrow a different plane.
If they pass all those tests, I explain how they have to work the brake, the throttle, the magnetos, and hold the stick all the way back while I yank on the prop.
That ALWAYS leads to the "What happens if the engine stops in the air?" conversation.
By this time the drop out rate has reached 99.9%.
If they still want to go, they are "keepers", and I clean off the bird droppings, put the new cushions in the plane, clean up whatever fluids I had sprayed around, and off we go.

I know. I'm a curmudgeon.

As a recently minted pilot, with a checkout and some practice in a HUGE 172 (compared to the 150s and 152 I trained in), I took 2 buddies from work up for a flight...

The 152 had a vernier mixture knob.. the 172 had a slip lock push pull with a spring lock type... We took off, went to about 3500 ft (~2200agl)... And I started leaning.... turning the knob. And, the knob came off in my hand... I handed it to the right seat passenger... And told him to hold on to it, I would definitely need it for landing.... When we came back to the airport to land, he started to hand me the errant knob....

I said, "Nah, I've practiced these emergency landings alot, I'm pretty sure we'll be okay..."

He carefully, gingerly, quickly screwed the knob back on and said, "There, I'm not interested in practicing with you!"

I told him I had just been kidding with him, I didn't really need it to land...

He, and possibly the back seat passenger, both sighed, audibly.... And we landed without incident, never touching the mixture knob.

Good times!

Plant the seeds early and often. When people ask me if I'm going flying over the weekend or if I went this past weekend, I'll often say something like "no, didn't have anywhere to go or no one to go with and it's expensive just to go up and punch holes in the sky especially if there is no one to split the costs with".

hello
Low time pilot here..
I have a lots of coworkers and friends that know I fly now and they are always asking to go fly with me.
I wouldn’t mind taking them up but when I fly usually every weekend or so I like to bring my family members along.
However I wouldn’t mind doing so if they could share some of the rental cost but I don’t ask them to do so because I feel” cheap “asking that.
Is there a more tasteful way to ask someone interested in flying to help share the cost of the rental?
Thanks for the help.

When Asked tell them the truth . Just say "here's what it costs to fly for an hour " , "You want to share costs ?"
Break it down to rental time cost , fuel cost and then ask if they are willing to share.
They may surprise you with a willingness to help.

Try this. When Joe asks, tell him "Yeah, let's do it! Pete and Bob want to fly, too, so let's find a Saturday and all 4 of us can go. That way it will only be about fifty bucks a piece.."

Now, as far as Joe knows, Bob and Pete have probably already agreed to kick in and he is unlikely to object or feel offended. Repeat the same act separately with Bob and Pete.
Sounds kind of like how LEOs get confessions when the offense is committed by more than one person.

hello
Low time pilot here..
The real answer is not to fly your friends around as often as they ask. The 61.113 "common purpose" requirement aside, if you are doing it for them, you are making a mistake and will eventually see your joy become a task. Do it for you.

The real answer is not to fly your friends around as often as they ask. The 61.113 "common purpose" requirement aside, if you are doing it for them, you are making a mistake and will eventually see your joy become a task. Do it for you.

That. Few people who want to fly with me, I let them know when I am going, they can tag along. Never took pro rata.

When I was training few close “friends” were pounding on my door to go up with me and even went the length of saying it’s taking too long and they would have done it in half time if they didn’t have X or Y or some other BS. When I got my PPL, I reached back out and then heard all kinds of creative excuses starting from dinner with wife’s cousins uncles mom to gall bladder troubles. They are in my no fly list.

Most people will say they want to go up when they hear I fly, I ask them maximum 2 times, after that I ain’t asking. If they are truly interested, they will ask again. This is a privilege and very people can do it, I ain’t begging people to come with me. They can walk on the ground like the rest of the 99%

This does not apply to kids who want to fly, just adults.
Most kids don't care about the plane, just the adventure, and that attitude needs to be rewarded.

People asking for rides in the plane is only a problem for you "first world airplane" owners, and your fancy dan airplanes.
If you fly a "third world" airplane it's not much of a problem.
I show them the Cub and most people start finding excuses not to go.
It's 81 years old and looks like it. Peeling paint, bird droppings (no door on the hanger), ripped seat cushions, something or other is usually leaking. And a Cub is little.
If they still want to go I ask them how heavy they are. Nope too heavy, won't get off the ground. This one is hard. Some of these people really want to fly, so I will borrow a different plane.
If they pass all those tests, I explain how they have to work the brake, the throttle, the magnetos, and hold the stick all the way back while I yank on the prop.
That ALWAYS leads to the "What happens if the engine stops in the air?" conversation.
By this time the drop out rate has reached 99.9%.
If they still want to go, they are "keepers", and I clean off the bird droppings, put the new cushions in the plane, clean up whatever fluids I had sprayed around, and off we go.

I know. I'm a curmudgeon.

The acid test on my latest flight was giving my pax the water-ditching briefing, letting her know that the aircraft might flip when it hits the water, how you get quite disoriented from the impact and flip, and then dealing with getting the canopy open when inverted and partially submerged.

She didn't even blink. :D

Pax help earn their keep after the flight with the bug wipe-down, and they always gladly oblige.

I've never told anyone I work with that we own an airplane. One coworker had one of my flying buddies do some work on her house (he owns a plumbing/mechanical business) and somehow my name came up, and he told her I had an airplane. Word got out at work, but I nipped it in the bud *QUICKLY* by telling the coworker that I did not want it known, and she is pretty cool and understood. Other coworkers have periodically asked me if we have an airplane and I always say, "Yeah, I work here, and I can afford an airplane." That actually works. Every one of them has walked away convinced it was just a rumor or misundertanding that I could possibly have an airplane. ;) No need to take any coworkers flying.

hello
Low time pilot here..
Thanks for the help.
I'll surely catch flack for this but here goes: I think there are 2 camps here. The renters and the owners.

Sure the owners would love to have some of the flight paid for. But in reality if you can afford to own you better be able to afford the full costs all on your own. Many people have offered to pay and my response is that I was going with or without them so please no money (@WannFly excluded!).

You are in the other camp, renting and watching your costs. I think its fair to ask them to cover part of it. But maybe don't shock them with the entire cost. Just say something like "I'm still renting and its kinda spendy how about pitching in $50 towards the fuel". And definitely use @SoCal RV Flyer advice you can literally tell them "I'll fly you buy" when it comes to lunch or dinner stop :)

The problem for me is that when ppl want to see the plane I take up to the hangar. Walk past the MU2. Then past the t-tail lance Roth new paint... and introduce them to the belle of the ball, a 1965 182 that could use paint- or at least a expensive detailing!!!

hello
Low time pilot here..
Thanks for the help.

Didn't your momma ever teach you... "Ass, Gas or Grass, No One Rides for Free"!

route-66-biker-gear-shirt-ass-gas-or-grass.jpg

Last edited:
Back