Switches instead of key for magneto control

LJ470

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
LJ470
I was looking at a picture of a panel today and instead of the key controlling the magnetos there was a togle switch for both right and left.

Is this acceptable?

Thanks!

Hadn't seen it before so was curious.

Newer ones too.... our club Archer is a '98 and has individual rockers for each mag. Only key is for the doors.

Plenty of homebuilts are built with a toggle for each magneto and a toggle or push button for the starter.

Thanks!

Hadn't seen it before so was curious.
You can have one too:
http://www.electroair.net/switchPanel.html

switchBoth2.jpg

My Aztec has 4 individual switches on the left side panel for the magnetos (with a three position momentary rocker switch for the starters).

The electronic EI system replaces your key switch with two rocker switches, one for the EIS and the other for the mag, and a red push-button for the starter.

I like the key for my 182P. Takes a crook an extra 2 mins to steel it. :7)

Why does it take an extra 2 minutes to steal your 182 key?
Just askin' :)

Fairly common in LSA’s, and I prefer that setup for simplicity’s sake.

My Sky Arrow’s arrangement:

upload_2019-8-17_10-49-46.jpeg

As an aside, in the case of ROTAX engines, not actually a “MAG” switch - the switch simply grounds the self-generating electronic ignition when in the OFF position.

What do they need to be guarded from?

It saves having a dog?

The ideal flight crew is a pilot and a dog. The pilot is there to feed the dog, and the dog is there to bite the pilot if he touches anything.

upload_2019-8-18_8-48-45.jpeg

Landing lights are HID. They take a while to warm up.

I have HID's too. I don't do a lot of night flying, so one day when I did RTB late, I flipped the lights on on short final and was reminded of the warm up time. "Hey, WTF, no lights. I'll do a go around and figure it out." Halfway down the runway on the go-around, the world became a much brighter place.

Mine are on from startup to shutdown. I have a wig-wag that automatically activates at 90kts.

My Citabria, any war bird, any multi engine plane, any turbine I've been around = no key

Most aircraft with keyed ignition are parked with the key on the glareshield. Few jets have keyed access to the engine controls.

It's a car thing.

Always wondered why the common switch sequence in planes I've flown is: OFF -- R -- L -- BOTH -- START.

The R -- L seems out of sequence for no reason that I can discern.

Always wondered why the common switch sequence in planes I've flown is: OFF -- R -- L -- BOTH -- START.

The R -- L seems out of sequence for no reason that I can discern.
Remember that the mag key *shorts out* the mag to shut it off...when that switch is open, the mag operates.

So "Off" is both switches closed, "R" is "Left Switch Closed", and "L" is "Right Switch Closed."

Sure, they could have hooked them up differently, but what's the fun in that? :)

Ron Wanttaja

Talk about confusing...

You could install this:

IMG_3169.jpg

Talk about confusing...

You could install this:

View attachment 77369
Actually, from the status-at-a-glance aspect, I like it.

If all mag switches are on, the levers form a "+" symbol (offset bars, but still).

If all mag switches are off, the levers form an "X".

If any of the mag switches are in a different position than the others, it'll be obvious, too.

I'd install one of those in my Fly Baby, just to stun any people looking at the panel.

Ron Wanttaja

Back