G5 to get TAS and other goodies like wind data

Has the G5 software been updated to allow these new features? I have not seen an announcement to that effect.

Thanks! I installed that in July so I guess when the G5s sense the GAD 13 and probe data it will show the new information.

There is one setting you have to change in the Air Data Configuration, to change Outside Air Temp Sensor from Disabled -> Enabled.

FYI, you can get the Davtron Probe, here is the model number : C307PS PROBE-12FT-WHT-C307PS TEMP PROBE
Costs about $90 + Garmin GAD 13 (GARMIN GAD 13 CONNECTOR KIT - $37.50) + GARMIN GAD 13 FAA-PMA UNIT ONLY - $135

Total = $262.5 before install.

Both GAD 13 and the connector kit is now on back-order, hoping to ship by monday

That is exactly what I did! Parts are on the way. My mechanic is doing the same thing for his BO. Now my question is...where to mount the probe?? Drill a hole in the fuselage? Must be a more elegant way...any ideas??? I plan to do this while my engine is being overhauled :( :(

That is exactly what I did! Parts are on the way. My mechanic is doing the same thing for his BO. Now my question is...where to mount the probe?? Drill a hole in the fuselage? Must be a more elegant way...any ideas??? I plan to do this while my engine is being overhauled :( :(

Davtron probe says ideal location is under the wing, about 2 feet from the wing root. I already have a probe for JPI which an earlier A&P installed inside the cowling and I regularly see more OAT than the actual.

No inspection panel there because of the wheel well. Might have to drill a new hole (A&P, of course) or go outboard of the wheel well BUT that makes the cable routing a major pain.

I have dual G5’s with a 480 and the 330ES transponder with OAT probe. All Garmin, but I assume the G5 cannot pull the data from the 330ES, right?

The 480 claims it can do a wind vector if it has all the data... in theory it should all be there...

My GAD13 and Garmin probe will arrive on Monday.. hope to have it installed next week..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anxious to hear how your install goes. My GAD 13 arrives next week along with the Aircraft Spruce DAVTRON OAT probe. Mounting the probe below the wing on my Arrow could be an issue. Please post your experiences!!

I have dual G5’s with a 480 and the 330ES transponder with OAT probe. All Garmin, but I assume the G5 cannot pull the data from the 330ES, right?

The 480 claims it can do a wind vector if it has all the data... in theory it should all be there...

That’s a lot of unknowns, from what I can tell, if 480 gets the data from ADC, it can compute rest of it, don’t think it can anything from ES

Context.

He has a Cherokee/Archer. I'm not ****ing retarded, but thanks for showing us what vast knowledge you possess.

I think you’re getting a little sensitive there Sport! You asked a straight up question and he gave a straight up answer.

Got my Davtron OAT probe today. Manufacturer's recommendation is on the bottom of the wing about 2 feet from the fuselage. On my Arrow there are no inspection panels in that area, only the wheel well. Can an A&P simply drill a hole in the wing to mount the probe?

Got my Davtron OAT probe today. Manufacturer's recommendation is on the bottom of the wing about 2 feet from the fuselage. On my Arrow there are no inspection panels in that area, only the wheel well. Can an A&P simply drill a hole in the wing to mount the probe?

That’s how it should be done I wouldn’t want it mounted to an inspection plate if that’s what your asking?

Adding holes to skins when unnecessary just seems dumb.

All OAT probes should be mounted in an easily removable panel that can be replaced with new if any reason down the road the probe is deleted and its desired to erase any traces of it existence, as practical. Holes tend to attract water and then it tends to corrode. Why add a hole to a large skin when you can put it in a small removable panel?

It works great! I guess I expected it to calculate wind data without entering a route into the GPS.. it requires me to enter a waypoint for some reason before it provides the wind direction... still pretty slick!View attachment 76912

It needs a track to calculate your heading difference against, if you think about it. Cool stuff.

I wish they would fix the vertical speed tape. It’s so small,it’s hard to when I’m doing 500 FPM.

I have the OAT probe for the JPI with the Garming 530 can get that info for TAS and Temp. Can that be linked to the G5? Or is a new probe and setup required?

I wish they would fix the vertical speed tape. It’s so small,it’s hard to when I’m doing 500 FPM.

I have the OAT probe for the JPI with the Garming 530 can get that info for TAS and Temp. Can that be linked to the G5? Or is a new probe and setup required?

Just buy the GAD13 and it will work if it’s a compatible probe.. the GAD13 will put it on the canbus network and feed the G5

Just buy the GAD13 and it will work if it’s a compatible probe.. the GAD13 will put it on the canbus network and feed the G5

The install manual clearly says either garmin probe or davtron probe, the model number is mentioned on the first post

It works great! I guess I expected it to calculate wind data without entering a route into the GPS.. it requires me to enter a waypoint for some reason before it provides the wind direction... still pretty slick!View attachment 76912

Where did you have that installed? I'm asking because I am in Indiana, too.

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/garmin-updates-g5-and-g3x-touch/

for G5 owners, with addition to an upgrade package costing $495 that comes with a OAT probe, G5 will display OAT, TAS, Wind data
soon to be added 2 Nav sources in G5

Edit to add what you need if not ordering the complete Garmin kit

Davtron Probe, here is the model number : C307PS PROBE-12FT-WHT-C307PS TEMP PROBE - $90
Garmin GAD 13 (GARMIN GAD 13 CONNECTOR KIT - $37.50) + GARMIN GAD 13 FAA-PMA UNIT ONLY - $135

Other than for making a PIREP that forecast winds are different than actual, what would be the purpose of calculating winds?

Because you can.

What autopilot do you have? I have a Century 2000. I’m hoping to have the flight director and GPS and AP modes as well in my G5 AI

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

...$500 upgrade cost to get it.

ohh garmin....never change lol :)

The fact that they charge for something that should have been included in their pumpkin spice basic [and SQUARE] g5s is reason enough for be to pass on the hardware entirely, Ill just AV30 it or dynon. Garmin is going to go the way on king if they dont get it together and wake up

Other than for making a PIREP that forecast winds are different than actual, what would be the purpose of calculating winds?
Because it's a pre-requisite for that nifty ground track bug (I think; only partially sure). Center the needle, plant the purple diamond on the purple arrowhead and track the centerline all the way down the ILS/LPV to the threshold like a boss no matter what the crosswinds are doing.

step on the ball!! ;)

sorry CFI coming out

Back