Why do older people drive corvettes?

Why do Older People Drive Corvettes?
It never fails when I look over to see who is driving a Corvette they are older and driving 10 miles under the speed limit. What gives?

Because all the young bucks think they look cool in a Dodge Ram with a Cummins diesel and lift kit.

Why do old people drive the slowest? They have the least time left. When I'm that age you won't get me to drive below 100.

Believe me, as logical as it sounds, it doesn't work like that. ;)
I'm not certain why this is, but perhaps as one gets older and starts staring mortality in the face we don't feel so comfortable driving so close to the dynamic limits of the machine any more?

It's very clear that electric is the future. Joking is fun and games but the truth is the truth.

Now that is debatable. Highly debatable.

Reactions: Ted
It's very clear that electric is the future. Joking is fun and games but their truth is the truth.

Your right, the future. The truth is until storage technology improves the sportster is still a novelty car. The physics of speed and acceleration has not changed. The quicker it accelerates and the faster it goes the more power it uses and the lower the range. It will get there but it's not there now.

My point made. Lowest rung.
If spending 100k cash on a car that's superior to a C8 makes me the "lowest rung", I wish there were more rungs I could go down. Like to see just how far I can ride this ladder.

Your right, the future. The truth is until storage technology improves the sportster is still a novelty car. The physics of speed and acceleration has not changed. The quicker it accelerates and the faster it goes the more power it uses and the lower the range. It will get there but it's not there now.
We are talking about sports cars in this thread though. It only comes down to which car finishes first to a lot of buyers. You have to admit that manufacturers don't like coming up last either. If batteries make the p100D a inferior performing auto then gasoline makes ICEs and the extremely high fuel bill inferior to the electric. Every time I go out for a rip in my car its guaranteed to cost $80 in fuel. That's if I take it easy. If I go 3 days in a weekend it adds up.

Because all the young bucks think they look cool in a Dodge Ram with a Cummins diesel and lift kit.

Believe me, as logical as it sounds, it doesn't work like that. ;)
I'm not certain why this is, but perhaps as one gets older and starts staring mortality in the face we don't feel so comfortable driving so close to the dynamic limits of the machine any more?

Now that is debatable. Highly debatable.
Which car is faster than a P100D. Maybe a 720S but were talking about huge differences in price and the Roadster from Tesla will defeat any comers. So where's the debate ?

Which car is faster than a P100D. Maybe a 720S but were talking about huge differences in price and the Roadster from Tesla will defeat any comers. So where's the debate ?

Lol basically every car is faster than a P100D if you’re doing anything more than 1/4 mile race. The P100D would get smoked by a Mustang around a road course, simply because the Tesla would be in protection mode after a few laps. Morons worry about bench racing 1/4 mile times in a sports car. Guys running Porsche 911s would laugh if you told them a Tesla was faster than their cars.

Lol basically every car is faster than a P100D if you’re doing anything more than 1/4 mile race. The P100D would get smoked by a Mustang around a road course, simply because the Tesla would be in protection mode after a few laps. Morons worry about bench racing 1/4 mile times in a sports car. Guys running Porsche 911s would laugh if you told them a Tesla was faster than their cars.
I was speaking specifically of performance numbers. You must have stepped in to the thread at the wrong time. As far as I know the published numbers of vehicles don't include "best time around Spa." Furthermore very few people in the world get to take their production car around a track and nearly everyone in the world that buys a vehicle drive it on the road.

Maybe in sports cars but there’s all sorts of things electric purely sucks at still.
I agree 100%. I see so many teslas on on the road and it makes me want to puke. I can see it all unfolding just like the ipod did all those years ago. All the "cool people" have them and everyone else wants one. There is no other explanation why there could be 8-15 of them in one parking lot.

If spending 100k cash on a car that's superior to a C8 makes me the "lowest rung", I wish there were more rungs I could go down. Like to see just how far I can ride this ladder.
You don't get it. And I can't explain it to you.

Your statement was: "It's very clear that electric is the future..."

Maybe physicist Neil's Bohr said it best: “it is very difficult to predict — especially the future.”

My wife will argue that with you. She screeches at me all the time when I am driving.... You are too fast, slow down in the turn, you are too close to that car...:lol::lol:

I was speaking specifically of performance numbers. You must have stepped in to the thread at the wrong time. As far as I know the published numbers of vehicles don't include "best time around Spa." Furthermore very few people in the world get to take their production car around a track and nearly everyone in the world that buys a vehicle drive it on the road.

The posted times at famous tracks like the Nurembergring are benchmarks for all sorts of sports cars. Slalom and skid pad numbers are bench racing numbers which a heavy sled like the Model S doesn’t excel at. Simply saying a P100D is faster than a Vette or any other high end sports car is laughable. It excels at one metric: acceleration. It doesn’t win in top speed, it doesn’t win in braking, it doesn’t win in skid pad/lateral gs, it doesn’t win in a race course. Hell, an $85K Dodge Demon beats it out by a long shot if we just going to cherry pick acceleration times.

I don’t have a problem with Tesla or the advent of electric cars. However, I am aware that they have major limitations, and the guys buying high end sports cars and super cars aren’t cross-shopping a Tesla because of one performance metric.

The more I think about this, the more I think this must be one of the dumbest question ever on POA, and the reason old people ridicule young people and tell them to get off of our lawns.

You probably think old people don't have sex either. Think about your future when you get old. Never mind; your problem is you don't' think because your Mommy has always done that for you.

Old people drive Corvettes because they like them and they can afford them.

btw, I drive a pickup. But if I had more room in my 3-car garage I might have a Corvette ( or a Tesla) too. My next house will have a bigger garage and my next airplane will have air conditioning, because I thought about my future, and I saved and planned for it.

edit: The above rant was only partly in jest.

Last edited:
Back