Kline Aviation, Poplar Grove

Flyingfanatic

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Flying Fanatic
I’ve read a number of threads and done google searches for overhauls on an O-320. I can’t seem to find enough recent info.

Anyone have recent experience with Kline, Poplar or any other shops that are reasonably priced?

Not looking at factory new or rebuilt, just a shop overhaul.

A friend of mine just had his O-470 overhauled at Poplar and they did a great job.

The shop we used back then (Midwest Sky Sports) forced us to use Poplar Grove when they found a crack in the crankcase of our IO360, as they refused to work with any other engine shop.
The originally discussed $10k - $15k repair turned into a mandatory +$30k full overhaul (this did not even include new cylinders) if we wanted to have any warranty on their work, once the plane was sitting in one shop and the disassembled engine in another.

Pretty shady, in my opinion, we have also been battling several oil leaks since.
I am aware that overall people seem to be happy with Poplar, I would however certainly not go back there again!

Kline is close to where we live. We only had a cylinder repaired by them in the past and were very happy. Two of our friends also used them over the last 1.5 years for complete overhauls and had no problems. They would be my choice if we needed an engine overhaul.

I just did my IO-360 with Signature engines. $32,300 included a new PMA case and new cylinders. Turn-around time was about 6 weeks. I am satisfied so far.

Back