Before you buy a plane!!!

https://cessna.txtav.com/en/piston/cessna-skylane

No cost listed for a new 182. Must be free, right?
Purdy.....
skylane_header_update07_2019.jpg

So I just found the price of a new 2019 Skylane. I about had a heart attack! $360,900!!!!

Knock off the 2 and insert a 0 and you could have one with the third wheel in the proper location....

Got the bill... My annual for my Grumman Traveler is over 5000 dollars.
Time to sell it and upgrade to something that is more expensive. For what I have sunk into this plane, I could be flying a lot more advanced machinery.

Ouch indeed. But don’t sell when everything just got fixed.

Oh I don't really know what I am going to get. This CG thing snuck up on us a little faster than we thought it would.
Do you know how much food a 12 year old boy can consume? It's crazy.

Duuuuude - he's only 12, you ain't seen nothing yet. When I was a senior in high school, I told a friend I was going to Wendy's. He asked me to bring back two triple cheeseburgers. He ate all of both of them except for one corner of one bun.

I’ll see your $5000 and raise you mine was found unairworthy. The cost to repair wasn’t worth it. Parted out. Someday I may end up drinking a beer out of a can made of my old plane.
Same here... Our club plane went to the big Wenworth in the sky.

You might find the 182 handling is disappointing after leaving Grumman. Cause 182s are like wrestling with a drunken fat lady; you measure the roll rate with a sundial, and you might as well be Helen Keller when it comes to visibility. At least it's a mediocre IFR platform.

Lot of range, nice elbow room, though, if you don't mind sitting in a submarine.

You might find the 182 handling is disappointing after leaving Grumman. Cause 182s are like wrestling with a drunken fat lady; you measure the roll rate with a sundial, and you might as well be Helen Keller when it comes to visibility. At least it's a mediocre IFR platform.

Lot of range, nice elbow room, though, if you don't mind sitting in a submarine.

The roll rate thing is more of how it’s coupled. It’ll roll plenty fast enough to scare passengers and make mischievous pilots grin, but you have to lock the ailerons to the stops with that big fat yoke, not a nice nimble stick or something that moves half the physical distance to get full control deflection. Which ya feel as it “not being nimble”, but it’ll roll.

Elevator is the Achilles heel and it’s mostly because the engine out front is a heavy fat ass being lifted by a Skyhawk wing. But again the biggest mistake people make transitioning to it is not using FULL elevator control when slow and making approaches as slow as the book says to. It’s really docile at those speeds but the elevator becomes very ineffective and you HAVE to get that yoke like a foot and a half back and to the stop, planting it in your fat American beer belly to make slow landings in the thing. You do that it’ll reward you with very short landing distances and very light mains first arrivals.

Fly it down final 10 knots faster than book to make “smooth” landings way too fast and it’ll eventually bite you with a porpoise and if you don’t react fast enough with power, well there’s only a few inches of prop clearance with the stock two blade on the older models, and landing with significant weight on the nose wheel first will bend the firewall.

People who don’t want to use full control deflection of the elevator in the 182 get in the habit of making partial flap landings 10-15 knots fast and burning 2000-3000’ of runway. They’re “nice” landings but the same pilot can’t make a short or soft field in the things to save their butt.

With the STOL kit on mine I really can run completely out of elevator and it’ll touch down 15-20 knots slower than a stock one, stall horn blaring, in a three point. Not enough elevator without prop wash to hold the nosewheel off. But that’s a very specific quirk of my airplane. Which also gives the ability to make 300’ landings, light, at sea level. It’s a fun thing to play with but completely unnecessary in a 182 unless you’re going to retrofit it with the big nose fork and bigger tires and go play in the dirt. For pavement or maintained grass, it’s mostly just a party trick. Ha.

I didn't realize you had the initials of your favorite singer as your tail number Br(y)an!

(I keed, I keed)

@simtech flew mine and said the opposite. He normally flies a PA-28

Got the bill... My annual for my Grumman Traveler is over 5000 dollars.
Time to sell it and upgrade to something that is more expensive. For what I have sunk into this plane, I could be flying a lot more advanced machinery.

Time to find a new mechanic! Wow! I have owned 2 Grumman’s, a Cheetah and now a Tiger. Never had a annual bill that high.

182 would be a good choice for you. Room and payload for the family, better speed, better ride, and able to nicely get in and out of grassy places like 3M0 and 6Y9.

Yep, and two more cylinders to replace, possible a crankcase since the continentals are known for cracking, not to mention a constant speed prop. Be prepared for that once everY couple of years $5k annual to become a $10k annual...

The dollars are going WAY too slowly to be accurate!

I was expecting 6PC to be in the plane, canopy open, $ bills being sucked out rapidly into the slipstream.

6pc, what performance #s are you getting ? Sorry. lazy. Iif you have posted b4. Next year I'm looking at Grumman/RV6A.. trying to figure out price vs speed .. Just me and wifey. no kids.

Tiger..

Fixed cost vs. marginal cost.

Hangar rent, insurance, annual, blah blah blah - are fixed costs - flying more doesn't raise the price. If you go flying for an hour, it didn't cost $72.99 in hangar and insurance...

Back