What is my medical certificate status after an open heart surgery

O

Omamet

Hi,
I had an open heart surgery few month ago,
happily everything is perfectly fine now, can I back to fly??
or ,
what is my medical certificate status after significant surgery??

Thanks

Pinging Doctor’s Lou and Bruce for their input. @lbfjrmd @bbchien

They will provide the official guidance, including what to obtain and bring to your examination.

I think I recall a past Dr Bruce thread discussing its possible with the correct details from you and your treating physicians.

it 100% requires a special issuance. The times involved and the things you have to do depend on whether we are talking a First/Second or Third, as well as what the event that led to the surgery and what has happened afterward.

You can't go Basic Med. CHD that requires treatment is one the things that bars you from doing Basic Med until you go through a special issuance first.

Word of advice: Have Dr. Bruce review your file FIRST. An SI might be no problem at all. On the other hand, if they didn't fix everything -- like any coronary artery left 70% blocked -- you may not be able to get an SI. You don't want to apply unless you are 100% certain it will be issued.

it 100% requires a special issuance. The times involved and the things you have to do depend on whether we are talking a First/Second or Third, as well as what the event that led to the surgery and what has happened afterward.

You can't go Basic Med. CHD that requires treatment is one the things that bars you from doing Basic Med until you go through a special issuance first.

pretty much sums it up.

first you get the 'pat on the back' from your treating doctors, then go to the AME for a review/application.

Nobody actually answered the primary question regarding his current status. The question about the next medical has been well answered, but nobody has said those magic words. You can/cannot fly right now.

And the answer to that question lies in FAR 61.53

(a) Operations that require a medical certificate. Except as provided for in paragraph (b) of this section, no person who holds a medical certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter may act as pilot in command, or in any other capacity as a required pilot flight crewmember, while that person:

(1) Knows or has reason to know of any medical condition that would make the person unable to meet the requirements for the medical certificate necessary for the pilot operation;

As weird as it sounds, heart surgery by itself does not rule out BasicMed. The conditions are:

A cardiovascular condition, limited to a one-time special issuance for each diagnosis of the following:
  • Myocardial infarction;
  • Coronary heart disease that has required treatment;
  • Cardiac valve replacement; or
  • Heart replacement.
Now...excellent question, what was the underlying condition that prompted the surgery. There are reasons beyond these 4 conditions for having heart surgery.

Nobody actually answered the primary question regarding his current status. The question about the next medical has been well answered, but nobody has said those magic words. You can/cannot fly right now.

you ... just did!

Read the back of a pilot certificate. I don't have one anymore or I'd post a picture of it.

you ... just did!
The reg. is in present tense. Does the OP have a condition that makes him unable to meet the requirements for the medical certificate necessary for the pilot operation? Does being recovered from heart surgery necessarily make him unable to get a medical?

The reg. is in present tense. Does the OP have a condition that makes him unable to meet the requirements for the medical certificate necessary for the pilot operation? Does being recovered from heart surgery necessarily make him unable to get a medical?
Absolutely. He no longer meets the requirement for a regular issuance. This isn't a "you may not meet the requirements..." condition. It's a "you don't meet the requierments."

bflynn said:
Now...excellent question, what was the underlying condition that prompted the surgery.
Unlikely he has a case where there is not an infarc, valve repair, or CHD involved here. About the only other case that is likely possible was if this was to implant a pacemaker. I suspect if he had a pacemaker placed, he'd have said that.

Unlikely he has a case where there is not an infarc, valve repair, or CHD involved here. About the only other case that is likely possible was if this was to implant a pacemaker. I suspect if he had a pacemaker placed, he'd have said that.

Yes, those are common reasons.

My father had heart surgery for a calcified valve. So I know it's possible to have heart surgery and it not be something that disqualifies you from basicmed.

Hi,
I had an open heart surgery few month ago,
happily everything is perfectly fine now, can I back to fly??
or ,
what is my medical certificate status after significant surgery??

Thanks
Grounded.
Valve, coronaries, or both?

Yes, those are common reasons.

My father had heart surgery for a calcified valve. So I know it's possible to have heart surgery and it not be something that disqualifies you from basicmed.
If it involved replacement of the valve, then it's disqualifying.

just about anything that puts one arse in the hospital and involves major surgery = you are hard down and will need a special board ( three flight surgeons if at sea) or for the rest of us ... a new application to the FAA will all the details.

Hell be back flying in no time, once he jumps through the FAA’s hoops. Look at this guy, flying after a transpplant...

A cardiovascular condition, limited to a one-time special issuance for each diagnosis of the following:
  • Cardiac valve replacement; or
If it involved replacement of the valve, then it's disqualifying.

Yes, I said that and thank you for agreeing with me.

My father's situation was not a replacement. My point remains, it's possible to have heart surgery and not require a SI for BasicMed.

Still don't know the underlying condition, but it's highly probable a SI is required.

So... clearly not legal to fly.

BUT, you’d easily survive a ramp check using your current medical. ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back