0-320 Carburetor rebuilds

UngaWunga

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
UngaWunga
What is the best option here?
Send it out for a rebuild? An exchange with newly rebuilt?
What are the good shops for this?

Bought an exchange reman AvStar carb about 7 years ago for an O-320, I will buy from them again in a heartbeat. They have a really nice website making it easy to buy replacement parts, even quickly answered my emails when needing some help to buy some replacement parts.

Kelly does not have the greatest reputation. I would go to a reputable shop like QAA.

Kelly does not have the greatest reputation. I would go to a reputable shop like QAA.
I have several MA3SPA Kelly rebuilt carbs in service all work flawlessly.
Kelly actually has a flow bench and test their carbs now. the gotcha is, you can't run auto fuel without breaking the warrantee.

Kelly does not have the greatest reputation.
Kelly has always been the only manufacturer of Marvel parts. When Precision air motive of Marysville Wa had the production, they were rebuilding the carbs and they had a big problem getting the carbs to operate correctly. The local FSDO finally shut them down because they were selling rebuilt carbs without flowing them (Testing) They then sold the production rites to Kelly and they fixed the problems.

I have several MA3SPA Kelly rebuilt carbs in service all work flawlessly.
Kelly actually has a flow bench and test their carbs now. the gotcha is, you can't run auto fuel without breaking the warrantee.

well that's a problem. Are you talking 10%ethanol fuel or mogas?

I had my o-320 carb rebuilt / flow tested by Kelly. I was not impressed, as I still had carb problems when it came back. If I had to do it again, I'd actually buy a new carb, not have it rebuilt, nor buy/exchange a rebuilt. When it was all said and done, the price difference isn't as much as you'd think.

I had my o-320 carb rebuilt / flow tested by Kelly. I was not impressed, as I still had carb problems when it came back. If I had to do it again, I'd actually buy a new carb, not have it rebuilt, nor buy/exchange a rebuilt. When it was all said and done, the price difference isn't as much as you'd think.

From a physical standpoint, what what's the difference between a rebuilt carb and a brand new one?

Anyone that believes Kelly produces a quality product knows nothing about aircraft. I had three of their alternators, none of which lasted more than 50 hours and was forced out of necessity to buy a rebuilt Bendix mag from them. The P lead fitting was loose in it’s hole. I had to remove the one from the old mag and fortunately it was tight enough to stay in place.
NEVER BUY A REBUILT ANYTHING FROM KELLEY. I don’t care if you’ve been in aviation for a million years, I know guys that have been at it for 50 years and have learned nothing.
Quality Control doesn’t exist at Kelley, they are nothing but a paint shop.

Seriously the best carb overhaul shop is the factory - Marvel Schebler.

Nearly the same prices as everyone else with genuine factory parts and it comes back like new. Talk to them about rebuilt verses overhaul. The difference between the two is inconsequential, but rebuild is less expensive.

Plus any AD’s or service bulletins are fixed without extra cost.

https://msacarbs.com/ best to call them 855-672-2272

Last edited:
Anyone that believes Kelly produces a quality product knows nothing about aircraft. I had three of their alternators, none of which lasted more than 50 hours.....

That's because they put way too much grease in the rear bearing, and it gets extruded out when the rotor shaft goes in. The grease ends up on the slip rings where it contaminates the carbon brushes and forms a resistive sludge that limits the field current, weakening the alternator. I've seen it multiple times over the years and submitted numerous SDRs on it. Makes no difference.

I’m not sure why everyone tends to look at overhaul vendors when they can be sent back to Marvel for a factory overhaul. They have very impressive equipment and from what I can tell they do a great job. Located in Burlington, NC. The price of ours was right inline with everyone else, if not cheaper. Solid warranty.

Last edited:
Back