UPDATE: Forums ... Pilot Training I’m starting my flight training but I’m scared of dying.

Don't pass up the opportunity to start young I made the mistake of taking the poor advice of a CFI when I was 21 years old to wait until I was older when I had the money. Reality is when your older so many thing can get in the way family, work, health. Now that I have the money have a few health issues making passing the medical a problem, and my wife has concluded Ill be dead in the first year she already making plans for her future. She just thinks anyone who flies in a small aircraft has 1 in 3 chance of death. If I could go back to my 20's I would give up all the money in the world to do that. If you really want to fly don't let fear ground you try to work though it. Let your CFI know about your fears they can help with that.

Nope. Most of the YE flights in our chapter are done in experimentals the pilots built themselves. I’m an oddity flying the cherokee.

On the event I took part in, none of the pilots used an experimental. We had an Arrow, couple 172s, Cherokee 6, 150.

I can't find the picture, (maybe Jeff can find it) but is similar to this one only it was the Piper factory employees on a Cherokee wing. That's what keeps me sane if I ever think the wing will fall off.

5ad0c29bbe24145c13a6e623b90c76f7.jpg

I was born in inner-city Newark, NJ (not far from the airport) and we moved to a better neighborhood when I was around 11. Still in Newark!
Couldn't afford flight lessons until I was 30, after earning a decent living as an Industrial Electrician at EWR and LGA.

My point is, by the time I had the money, I sure as hell wasn't going to let fear of dying stop me from pursuing my childhood dream....HELL, I SURVIVED GROWING UP IN NEWARK:eek: LOL.:D

Last edited:
This thread has gotten morbid!

Humans: Morbidity rate 100%.*

* Disclaimer: Certain religions may not agree. Limited to time on Earth. Your mileage may vary. Prizes equal 50% of sales. Always notify your physician before taking any new medication. Side effects may include: Anal leakage. 0% APR includes dealer fees and $200 per $10000 loan origination fee. Professional driver on closed course, do not attempt at home. Most houses with home automation hooked to their garage doors will respond to “Open the pod bay doors”.

Read aviation accident reports. They aren't there to scare you; rather, they are an excellent learning resource. You'll be amazed at how many crashes are due to pilot error. If you read them and think "that will never happen to me, I'm not that dumb", you're doing it wrong. Instead, realize that it CAN happen if you are overly confident and complacent. Realize you, as a human, are a risk factor but there are ways to greatly minimize that risk. Be a competent and confident pilot. It's a safe hobby/profession when it is done right.

Your instructor won't let that happen, besides it's your job to make mistakes with him so you don't when you're alone. He is prepared for all kinds of crazy stuff and will bring you home safely.

Now get out there, prepare well, study hard and get ready for an amazing life!

You obviously never met my instructor. :D
teaching foreign students that grew up riding donkeys then placing them under NVG's in a turbine powered aircraft at tree top level...lot's of interesting stuff happens. But it's our job to make sure they still get to ride a donkey again somewhere down the road LOL

Hi OP.
I did not read most of the messages but fear is not unusual when you learn something new that us, as humans, are not used to. Flying, depending on whom you believe, may have been something that we did many billions years ago, but now you lost the comfort level with flying.
The reason why you feel like that, is the unknown, as you learn more about how an acft flies, the safety features, have control over it and not depend on others to control it, you will get over it. Trust your CFI.

The most important factor to remember, Fear is an Emotion, you can and should be able to control it. Go for it.

I have been flying for more years of my life than not flying. I still have some anxiety about the risk every time I go to the plane, but once I have my preflight done and am crawling into the plane, I am smiling and ready for the task. Something about the joy of flight has always led me into this endeavor. I am married, have kids, and everything to live for. But the fascination of leaving the earth and climbing upon the air with these mechanical contraptions is reason enough to continue the course. I love flying. If it's my day, I guess that number comes up for all of us at some point. Driving head on towards oncoming traffic at 70 mph separated by 12" of yellow paint doesn't seem to bother many of us at all.

I'm too old to worry about dying , will be 79 next birthday (shortly) . Started pilot training in 1970 in a Cherokee 140 . Life, family ,farming ,finances got to be more important then flying . Never cared for the 140 anyway.
Now am looking at a nice 170B and back to lessons.
My Dad had a J-5 Piper when I was quite young . Loved every minute we flew in that rig . Didn't have a car that would reliably run to county seat so we flew most every where. Mother hated the airplane . Said to Dad if we can afford an airplane we can afford a house with running water , electricity , flush toilets , green grass and close to school. So dad sold the plane and we moved to town . Money from plane made the down payment on house . Dad stayed current in to his 80's . At 85 had a heart attack and that was the end of his ticket . He flew rental aircraft and was part of a flying club for a while.

I have been flying for more years of my life than not flying. I still have some anxiety about the risk every time I go to the plane, but once I have my preflight done and am crawling into the plane, I am smiling and ready for the task. Something about the joy of flight has always led me into this endeavor. I am married, have kids, and everything to live for. But the fascination of leaving the earth and climbing upon the air with these mechanical contraptions is reason enough to continue the course. I love flying. If it's my day, I guess that number comes up for all of us at some point. Driving head on towards oncoming traffic at 70 mph separated by 12" of yellow paint doesn't seem to bother many of us at all.

I’ve been talking on phones longer than I’ve been flying and every inbound call gives me mild anxiety now. Hahahaha.

Sorry couldn’t resist. :)

I too was very scared of dying during my flight training. Even after I had a hundred hours I was still scared every time I took off. I kept thinking "unless I do everything right, I'm going to die today". ( I had some basis for this after having 7 people I knew die in 5 separate accidents during the 1-1/2 years I was doing my flight training. I was working in the industry at the time and got to meet a lot of pilots.)

But I was like you - I just loved doing it so I kept at it. At some point I was able to trust in my skill, knowledge and planning and the fear subsided.

After 800 hours there is still a nervous anxiousness every time i climb in my plane. I calm myself by thinking through the flight, figuring out what the real/serious risks for this particular flight are, and making a plan to deal with them before I take off.

For me, this process of determining the greatest risks for each flight and then making a plan to deal with them does a lot to reduce my nervousness.

I envy those pilots who can climb in a plane and take off and not really worry about hurting themselves that day .... seriously.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who has these thoughts. I love aviation, but every time it's my day to go flying, whatever day it happens to be, I tell myself "Don't screw up. No dying allowed on (insert day of week here)."

Back