So, student pilots.. Who are we and where do we stand?

Why? What’s wrong with the military?

Oh, nothing at all. When I was younger I dreamed about going Aircav and chasing a packet for the 160th. It's by far the best opportunity that exists, but with having food allergies I'd never even make it into meps. So far I've met folks that say there's becoming a large shortage of pilots, and the field in general is expanding. On the other side I know a lot of people who want to get into it, but are scared to death that they'll bury themselves in debt in hopes of getting a job that won't be able to pull them out of it.

I don't think many of us newer folks are looking for a magic bullet to skip the years of climbing the ladder so to speak, but are just scared that there isn't an option that won't end with working four jobs where flying isn't one of them.

Oh, nothing at all. When I was younger I dreamed about going Aircav and chasing a packet for the 160th. It's by far the best opportunity that exists, but with having food allergies I'd never even make it into meps. So far I've met folks that say there's becoming a large shortage of pilots, and the field in general is expanding. On the other side I know a lot of people who want to get into it, but are scared to death that they'll bury themselves in debt in hopes of getting a job that won't be able to pull them out of it.

I don't think many of us newer folks are looking for a magic bullet to skip the years of climbing the ladder so to speak, but are just scared that there isn't an option that won't end with working four jobs where flying isn't one of them.

Yes, there’s a seeming shortage, but.....

As soon as technology and regulations allow airliners to be flown by a single person instead of two (not that big a leap, by the way) there will instantly be twice as many airline pilots available. End of shortage.

Not that many years ago airliners carried a navigator and a flight engineer in addition to the two pilots. No longer necessary.

Fly for fun or fly for a living because you love it. Financially, becoming a pilot has a really sucky business case and many risks.

As soon as technology and regulations allow airliners to be flown by a single person instead of two (not that big a leap, by the way) there will instantly be twice as many airline pilots available. End of shortage.

Not going to happen. Too many people with “First Class” medicals have dropped dead in the cockpit, and satellite data that’ll work in all weather and all altitudes for a remote pilot globally isn’t fast enough. Too much latency to handle an aircraft with a control issue from afar.

Still need meat autopilots for systems failures.

Not going to happen. Too many people with “First Class” medicals have dropped dead in the cockpit, and satellite data that’ll work in all weather and all altitudes for a remote pilot globally isn’t fast enough. Too much latency to handle an aircraft with a control issue from afar.

Still need meat autopilots for systems failures.

Heck, we’re already talking about 100% automation. Not that I think there will never be a pilot, but I can easily see it going to only one. Especially if there are a few pilots at a central location ready to take over and fly the plane like a drone in event of the on-board pilot becoming incapacitated.

I think the data latency will become a non-issue within the next decade. The “meat autopilot” won’t have to be on board.

Heck, we’re already talking about 100% automation. Not that I think there will never be a pilot, but I can easily see it going to only one. Especially if there are a few pilots at a central location ready to take over and fly the plane like a drone in event of the on-board pilot becoming incapacitated.

I think the data latency will become a non-issue within the next decade. The “meat autopilot” won’t have to be on board.

The altitude of satellites won’t be changing. Even the proposed lower orbit birds still won’t be round trip time fast enough for this. It’s just physics.

Talk is cheap. People will get on board when the engineers send their entire families up on the aircraft while they stand on the ground in bad weather with half of the aircraft MELed, because the airlines need that equipment flexibility to make a profit. They can’t keep that many spare aircraft.

The altitude of satellites won’t be changing. Even the proposed lower orbit birds still won’t be round trip time fast enough for this. It’s just physics.

Talk is cheap. People will get on board when the engineers send their entire families up on the aircraft while they stand on the ground in bad weather with half of the aircraft MELed, because the airlines need that equipment flexibility to make a profit. They can’t keep that many spare aircraft.

The Speed of Light. It’s not just a good idea, it’s the law.

And it’s universally enforced.

Just drives the amount of automation required and determines which messages have to be ground sourced. It's not a show stopper.

Well considering this is my 1st plane I have ever owned and not having flown lil fixed wing for over 20 yrs, I'll take the title student pilot :) I am learning all I can about flying my aircraft when I'm not teaching in the UH-72 which can be very easy in IFR. Besides, since when can you fly a helo hands off and follow an approach to 50 ft agl? In this thing you can.

This site is awesome and what a wealth of info, great job folks!

Be safe everybody

Just drives the amount of automation required and determines which messages have to be ground sourced. It's not a show stopper.

It is when systems fail. Haven’t even gotten close yet to an airliner that can handle those with people sitting there. The aircraft will run the checklist but if the event is off-checklist, it’ll fail. See: Landing in Hudson.

It is when systems fail. Haven’t even gotten close yet to an airliner that can handle those with people sitting there. The aircraft will run the checklist but if the event is off-checklist, it’ll fail. See: Landing in Hudson.

Yep. That is why you always need at least one live pilot. As system reliability improves, the need for two live pilots will become leß and less important.

Yep. That is why you always need at least one live pilot. As system reliability improves, the need for two live pilots will become leß and less important.

This misses the point of PF and PNF. If the AP can’t replace one or other FULLY in all circumstances, two will always be required.

I scheduled my knowledge test for August 21st. Once I pass that, the sport pilot certificate butterflies will really settle in, I think. Come checkride, though, I'll be good to go. I'm competent, safe (as safe as a student pilot can be...) and far from overly confident. It'll just be another great day for flying the same way I always do with someone I hope to learn a thing or two from. All of my requirements are met, so my instructor will sign the logbook clearing me for the checkride as soon as I pass my knowledge test.

I scheduled my knowledge test for August 21st. Once I pass that, the sport pilot certificate butterflies will really settle in, I think. Come checkride, though, I'll be good to go. I'm competent, safe (as safe as a student pilot can be...) and far from overly confident. It'll just be another great day for flying the same way I always do with someone I hope to learn a thing or two from. All of my requirements are met, so my instructor will sign the logbook clearing me for the checkride as soon as I pass my knowledge test.

Ever hear of Quizlet? Great site with tons of study info for almost anything out there to study LOL

I'm in a similar boat. I'm at 50 hours, passed the written, prepping for final phase check and checkride thereafter. Instructor hasn't given me the go-ahead quite yet and I have [lots and lots] of travel coming up starting in August. I try to focus on the fact that every flight is time at the controls and opportunities to get better. I'll get PPL eventually.

I do like the advice on focusing on the written (wish I had done it sooner). Good luck!
Thanks for the post... Im new to this forum and found your post while researching getting my pilots license. My mom worked for united airlines and I always wanted to learn to fly. Are there any good links on where to start?

The Speed of Light. It’s not just a good idea, it’s the law.

And it’s universally enforced.

Don't be so sure.

https://m.phys.org/news/2019-04-researchers-develop-way-to-control.html

"This achievement is a major step in research that could one day lead to more efficient optical communication, as the technique could be used to alleviate data congestion and prevent information loss. And with more and more devices coming online and data transfer rates becoming higher, this sort of control will be necessary."

Interesting...Just think when it (the almighty computer) detected the last engine out (whether it was 1msec after the first or an hour after the first) it could have determined in less than a msec that it had a best glide option to Teterboro or wherever it was and given it a chance to land on a runway. It would have started turning and pitching immediately. Not saying it would have made it, but it could have been a viable part of code put into the system for all engines out. It can always run the rest of the checklists and restart attempts while/after it is turning and pitching towards its new landing location. And if there was even more wonderfully perfect automation, within a second it could have started instructions to clear other aircraft at the new destination.

I am not arguing for the automation. But if there truly was a chance to make it to a runway and that chance evaporated rapidly as humans ran a checklist you would think a computer could have at least made an immediate recommendation "Emergency, Emergency Both Engines Out, Nearest Airport In Reach, Turn Right zero three five, Pitch one seven zero knots, Request T-E-B Tango Echo Bravo Runway Zero Six".

Up higher and this same annunciation could have been given but there would have been more time to run a checklist first.

Interesting...Just think when it (the almighty computer) detected the last engine out (whether it was 1msec after the first or an hour after the first) it could have determined in less than a msec that it had a best glide option to Teterboro or wherever it was and given it a chance to land on a runway. It would have started turning and pitching immediately. Not saying it would have made it, but it could have been a viable part of code put into the system for all engines out. It can always run the rest of the checklists and restart attempts while/after it is turning and pitching towards its new landing location. And if there was even more wonderfully perfect automation, within a second it could have started instructions to clear other aircraft at the new destination.

I am not arguing for the automation. But if there truly was a chance to make it to a runway and that chance evaporated rapidly as humans ran a checklist you would think a computer could have at least made an immediate recommendation "Emergency, Emergency Both Engines Out, Nearest Airport In Reach, Turn Right zero three five, Pitch one seven zero knots, Request T-E-B Tango Echo Bravo Runway Zero Six".

Up higher and this same annunciation could have been given but there would have been more time to run a checklist first.

Which all sounds great, but I work with software developers.

The day these guys send their families up in anything while they remain on the ground watching, ill consider it. And one of the considerations will be how desperate their company is and they are for a paycheck. :)

I’ve literally made a six figure living for long enough cleaning up software and hardware messes that I’ll never ever fully trust it. Ever. And I see no job security issues looming. LOL.

Which all sounds great, but I work with software developers.

The day these guys send their families up in anything while they remain on the ground watching, ill consider it. And one of the considerations will be how desperate their company is and they are for a paycheck. :)

I’ve literally made a six figure living for long enough cleaning up software and hardware messes that I’ll never ever fully trust it. Ever. And I see no job security issues looming. LOL.

I've spent a fair portion of the last 35 years helping design autonomous flying vehicles, which are able to fly great distances with amazing accuracy. Of course, our stuff doesn't have to land at the end....

upload_2019-8-13_21-31-25.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-8-13_21-32-14.png
    upload_2019-8-13_21-32-14.png
    485.3 KB · Views: 8
I've spent a fair portion of the last 35 years helping design autonomous flying vehicles, which are able to fly great distances with amazing accuracy. Of course, our stuff doesn't have to land at the end....

View attachment 76852

The private world doesn’t have that sort of unlimited budget. LOL.

The Space Shuttle software is also nearly flawless. Pretty neat story how they did it, too.

But nobody buying airliners has $2B just for the software.

A bunch of them wouldn’t even pop for two Ao/ indicators and a warning light on the 737 8 Max. Hahaha.

The private world doesn’t have that sort of unlimited budget. LOL.

The Space Shuttle software is also nearly flawless. Pretty neat story how they did it, too.

But nobody buying airliners has $2B just for the software.

A bunch of them wouldn’t even pop for two Ao/ indicators and a warning light on the 737 8 Max. Hahaha.

Tell me where to find one of them thar unlimited budgets. I cou!d certainly use one. You might be amazed how cheaply we sell those puppies.... :)

Private Pilot Practical Test scheduled for Sunday. Been studying PHAK, FAR/AIM, ACS all week. I think I'm studied out. If I don't know it by now, I don't know it I think.

Reviewed inspections, maintenance logs (prop, engine, airframe), AD compliance... tabbed it all out in the logs. Tabbed out sections of the FAR/AIM that I will probably need to refer back to. One more dual practice flight on Friday evening... then I guess no sleep Saturday night with anticipation...

I am excited but nervous. I know the material. Just nervous about the flying part. I can nail the ACS maneuvers... but still nervous for some reason. Ugh. I want it to be done!

Good luck! I think most of us did/do/will feel nervous. It's a big deal to become a pilot, and no amount of preparation will eliminate the butterflies on a day when, for most people, a life-long dream will come true.

Flew my first x-country last week with my instructor. Probably one more leg and then I'll be scheduling a solo x-country. Once the short and long x/c's are done, it's some night flying and then just wrapping up, passing the written (amazing how the stuff you read falls out of your head in such a short span of time), and surviving the Designated Pilot Eviscerator. :) Anyway, I'm about to get there.

Flew my first x-country last week with my instructor. Probably one more leg and then I'll be scheduling a solo x-country. Once the short and long x/c's are done, it's some night flying and then just up, passing the written (amazing how the stuff you read falls out of your head in such a short span of time), and surviving the Designated Pilot Eviscerator. :) Anyway, I'm about to get there.
That is exciting, congrats!

I am excited but nervous. I know the material. Just nervous about the flying part. I can nail the ACS maneuvers... but still nervous for some reason. Ugh. I want it to be done!

Everyone is nervous. Heh. Relax the night before, have a good dinner, and try not to think about it. You will, but temper it. Grab the book if you suddenly have a panic attack about some obscure knowledge thing and then put it back in the bag. Have all your stuff ready and prepped to go, put fresh batteries in the ANR whether they need it or not. Charge the iPad or whatever. If you have to make yourself a little checklist of items to grab on the way out the door long in advance so you don’t have to think about it.

As far as the flying goes. Be PIC. The whole time. You need to do the maneuvers and such but you really need to show that you and only you are responsible for the safe outcome of the flight from start to finish. If weather says no go, don’t be too disappointed. You got to show the examiner that you are... PIC. PIC says this weather sucks and we aren’t flying today.

Only other oddity of checkrides is to try to verbalize your decision making process while flying. You won’t do it to other passengers later usually unless they are also pilots, but examiners aren’t great mind readers. So if something is going sideways and there’s a reason for it, say so and that you’re correcting immediately. Obviously wild excursions still aren’t going to pass, but if it’s a bumpy day and the real deal is that turbulence is getting the best of you, say so, and plant the airplane right back where you want it as you say it.

Good luck on the ride!

Flew my first x-country last week with my instructor. Probably one more leg and then I'll be scheduling a solo x-country. Once the short and long x/c's are done, it's some night flying and then just wrapping up, passing the written (amazing how the stuff you read falls out of your head in such a short span of time), and surviving the Designated Pilot Eviscerator. :) Anyway, I'm about to get there.

First solo XC is fun times. Don’t get lost! :)

Soloed Today! Was a lot more nervous than I expected, and my first two landings sucked, but nailed the third one. Long way to go, but it feels good to reach this milestone.
View attachment 76924

Sweeeeeet. Congrats pilot. Ever think during those first ones you’d EVER do them by yourself and not break the airplane or you? Hehehe. Fun.

Well... I'm new to the forum, and new to being a student pilot (or maybe a "pre-" student pilot?!). Just signed up with a local club and will begin my PPL soon. Excited to start the new journey.

Well... I'm new to the forum, and new to being a student pilot (or maybe a "pre-" student pilot?!). Just signed up with a local club and will begin my PPL soon. Excited to start the new journey.

Welcome! Where in FL are you? I’m in Haines City.

I've been in the simulators for well over a decade now, finally able to seriously look at training and I'm frankly at a loss where to go from here. It seems like such an expensive and risky ordeal to attempt making a career out of, especially for rotorwing. What's the best way to climb the ladder towards commercial without burying yourself financially?

1. Win the lotto.
2. Marry rich.
3. Sell drugs

Took and passed the private pilot practical test today! I am so tired I can't write out how the whole experience was, but here are some highlights:

Had to get the plane from one side of parallel runways to the other ramp. So I got there early and instead of just requesting clearance to taxi and reposition, I flew two laps around the pattern to get into flying mode. Nailed two short-field landings, called it quits and taxied to the FBO where the test was to take place. Still had 1/2 hour to spare, so I laid out all of my documents, logs, books, charts, flight plans, laptop on the conference room table and just got a cup of coffee and relaxed in the lobby of the FBO. I had studied so much the weeks before, there was nothing left to do but wait.

Met the examiner and immediately realized this was going to be more like a conversation than an intense interview/grilling. And it continued like that. He reviewed my application, photo ID, logbook/endorsements, and pictures of the airworthiness/registration I had taken. We talked while he was doing this, but it was again more like a conversation. He explained exactly how the test would be conducted - that he would be using the ACS (which I had pretty much memorized by then) focusing on risk management/ADM for many of the ACS tasks. He told me that he wasn't here to fail me and that he was mostly trying to ensure I was safe above all else when flying.

We then started talking about what I would need to fly as a certificated pilot - ID, certificate, medical. We talked about privileges and limitations - not for hire and making sure your buddy pays his pro-rata share and not for the entire flight. He mentioned how often this gets abused. We discussed currency and what I need to do to stay current. Then, more importantly, discussed proficiency vs. currency and what a pilot can do to stay proficient - going for an additional rating or just flying with a CFI. Or even just flying more often than once ever other month. We talked about airworthiness and what I would do to make sure the plane is airworthy. This led to a discussion on required VFR day/night equipment (91.205). We also discussed how to find required items in the POH KOEL (ones marked R) and what to do if things are defective that aren't marked R (placard inop).

We then started talking about the flight that I had planned (he had provided a scenario). This formed the basis for the next hour of discussion we had. We talked about how I chose the route which led to a discussion on airspace and various sectional chart symbolism. SUA, control tower frequencies, ATIS/AWOS freqs, things like that. We discussed weather minimums in different airspace classes.

(by the way I was doing really well here. I had been studying all of this like crazy for weeks).

Then we talked about weather. This was a great conversation - almost like one between two interested pilots. Where do you go for your weather the day before? Which products do you use and when? I am a bit of a weather geek, so I really enjoyed talking about the stationary front that had parked itself over our area the last two days and how there was a high pressure system about to drive it the heck out (and the humidity with it!!). Anyway, we talked about the surface plot a lot and the low level prog charts. Metars and tafs too, but we didn't get much into the abbreviations. We also talked about the various sources of weather products. I mentioned I like good ol' aviationweather.gov and 1800wxbrief.com. But that I augment that with windy.com and some others.

We talked then about aeromedical stuff like hypoxia and when I would need oxygen - stuff I had studied and knew pretty well. Some things about night flying and spatial disorientation. We also talked about personal minimums and how important these were to have. I mentioned I wasn't going to do much (any) night flying until I was well underway with my IR.

(this is taking too long to type... I'm skipping to the flying part).

All in all he was happy with the oral part and said I was overprepared which made me happy since I really did study for weeks for this. We took a quick break and went out to the plane where I started my preflight....

I did the most thorough preflight I have ever done and was verbalizing everything I was looking at - elt antenna secure. Four nuts on the aileron hinges... elevator/rudder cables look good... etc. No issues there. I think he appreciated when I was done I stepped back from the aircraft and pulled out the checklist and actually looked to make sure I did not miss anything. He said he was surprised at how many people don't actually at least confirm the preflight checklist with the physical checklist. I think he also appreciated that I did my PAVE/IMSAFE checklist while outside the aircraft (sort of looking at it dead-nose-on).

We got in, and I ran the engine start checklist, clear prop and started her up no problem. I got the weather and this is where things go a bit interesting - there was a pop-up cell about five miles southwest directly in the line of my course to the first checkpoint (a VOR). He mentioned the decision was mine as PIC and I said we should be ok if we got a direct turnout northwest bound. If it looked bad we could come back very quickly and call it a day or wait. He agreed. I got a taxi clearance, we taxied out, did the runup and off we went.

Turns out we really needed that turnout because the cell was pretty impressive once we got airborne and could see it... downdrafts with outflows that were really visible... stuff I knew I didn't want to fly through our near. No problem, we got some vectors around it and eventually were cleared own navigation off to the west. I forgot to ID the VOR, but he reminded me... I had actually written the morse code for the VOR on my kneeboard to make it easier to read (the sectional is too small) and he was ok with this. I tracked the VOR dead on... We got to the VOR and I made my turn to the next checkpoint which is where I was told to expect to start the ACS maneuvers. He handed me the foggles and we did some sim instrument maneuvers. I did well on this - holding a heading, climbing to a new heading and then turning to a different heading. While I had the foggles on we did some unusual attitude recoveries - these were not as sever as I had practiced so I did well on these, too.

Next up were steep turns... the first real maneuver in my opinion. I will admit - I screwed these up. My speeds were all over the place. I am usually really good at these, but this time I couldn't hold 95 knots to save my life. He was VERY lenient with me here and basically told me, "just slow down. In general. Just chill." and I did. I realized I was really nervous (I hadn't felt nervous, but I really was). And from then on, I just relaxed. We went into some slow flight clean and I nailed speeds/altitudes. From here we went right into approach stalls since I was slow and just had to speed up a bit and get flaps configured. Here I thought I did okay, but on the debrief he mentioned maybe I pitched down a bit much (a bit too much windscreen o' green), but not a bust. Power on stall was perfect - lots of right rudder and recovery was good.

Then we did a sim engine fire. Did well here, too. Hit 20 degrees down and 45 degrees bank. After a rotation or two he said to level off and transition into a sim engine out scenario. Pitched for 65 knots right away, picked a really nice set of fields back to back (like an alternate if one didn't work out) and ran the memory checklist. Really nice glide downwind to base to final to the landing spot then did a go-around.

After this we were closer to the ground, so we did turns around a point. I picked a nice rusty silo and barn combo, found downwind and did the turns no problem. Then it was off to the short/soft/normal landings and takeoffs......... We were close to a local un-towered airport and the wind favored nicely so that I was right on the 45 to left downwind with no maneuvering. Made all the right radio calls and set up nicely for a short-field landing on the 1,000' stripe. I have had trouble with these in the past, but I had been practicing them relentlessly..... and I nailed it right in the middle of the stripe. At that point I knew this was mine to lose. Taxied back, did a decent soft field takeoff, flew the pattern, greased a soft field landing, taxied back and did a nice short field takeoff....

Departed the pattern and asked what's next... he said, well that's it we're headed for home. I didn't have the nerve to ask if I passed at that point, but since there was no issuance of disqualification, I was pretty excited and probably was smiling like an idiot all the way back home.

I'll just end this by saying, yes as soon as I landed, taxied to FBO and shut down, he asked how I thought I did. I said I didn't think I did well on the steep turns and brought up a couple of other areas where I could use some more dual instruction. Then.... he extended his hand and said that I passed. I don't remember much else (kidding). Went back inside, I signed my certificates and we did a debrief. I am pretty much spent now and will probably sleep right through my alarm tomorrow morning.

This was truly the hardest thing I have ever done and I have loved every minute of it. I can't wait to get started on my instrument rating. Thanks for listening. I realize now how long this write-up is... sorry. TL/DR I know. But I had to get this out there. One word of advice or maybe comfort to those of you who are prepping for your test - if you prepare properly and really know the material in the ACS as well as can prove that you are safe when doing the maneuvers you will pass. The examiner is not looking to fail you. If you go over your altitude on a steep turn, but vocalize that you are correcting, you will probably be ok. If you are safe. Use your checklists!! Make your clearing turns!! Look OUTSIDE for traffic/birds!!! Be PIC - in control of the aircraft and SAFE with the aircraft.

Good luck to other pilots who are preparing for the practical. Thanks to the pilots who taught me and who let me post here. I am really honored to be part of the amazing group of people who have achieved this or who are working to achieve it.

Awesome write up DeeLee! Thanks for sharing... I start this entire process this week (from scratch).

Took and passed the private pilot practical test today! I am so tired I can't write out how the whole experience was, but here are some highlights:

Had to get the plane from one side of parallel runways to the other ramp. So I got there early and instead of just requesting clearance to taxi and reposition, I flew two laps around the pattern to get into flying mode. Nailed two short-field landings, called it quits and taxied to the FBO where the test was to take place. Still had 1/2 hour to spare, so I laid out all of my documents, logs, books, charts, flight plans, laptop on the conference room table and just got a cup of coffee and relaxed in the lobby of the FBO. I had studied so much the weeks before, there was nothing left to do but wait.

Met the examiner and immediately realized this was going to be more like a conversation than an intense interview/grilling. And it continued like that. He reviewed my application, photo ID, logbook/endorsements, and pictures of the airworthiness/registration I had taken. We talked while he was doing this, but it was again more like a conversation. He explained exactly how the test would be conducted - that he would be using the ACS (which I had pretty much memorized by then) focusing on risk management/ADM for many of the ACS tasks. He told me that he wasn't here to fail me and that he was mostly trying to ensure I was safe above all else when flying.

We then started talking about what I would need to fly as a certificated pilot - ID, certificate, medical. We talked about privileges and limitations - not for hire and making sure your buddy pays his pro-rata share and not for the entire flight. He mentioned how often this gets abused. We discussed currency and what I need to do to stay current. Then, more importantly, discussed proficiency vs. currency and what a pilot can do to stay proficient - going for an additional rating or just flying with a CFI. Or even just flying more often than once ever other month. We talked about airworthiness and what I would do to make sure the plane is airworthy. This led to a discussion on required VFR day/night equipment (91.205). We also discussed how to find required items in the POH KOEL (ones marked R) and what to do if things are defective that aren't marked R (placard inop).

We then started talking about the flight that I had planned (he had provided a scenario). This formed the basis for the next hour of discussion we had. We talked about how I chose the route which led to a discussion on airspace and various sectional chart symbolism. SUA, control tower frequencies, ATIS/AWOS freqs, things like that. We discussed weather minimums in different airspace classes.

(by the way I was doing really well here. I had been studying all of this like crazy for weeks).

Then we talked about weather. This was a great conversation - almost like one between two interested pilots. Where do you go for your weather the day before? Which products do you use and when? I am a bit of a weather geek, so I really enjoyed talking about the stationary front that had parked itself over our area the last two days and how there was a high pressure system about to drive it the heck out (and the humidity with it!!). Anyway, we talked about the surface plot a lot and the low level prog charts. Metars and tafs too, but we didn't get much into the abbreviations. We also talked about the various sources of weather products. I mentioned I like good ol' aviationweather.gov and 1800wxbrief.com. But that I augment that with windy.com and some others.

We talked then about aeromedical stuff like hypoxia and when I would need oxygen - stuff I had studied and knew pretty well. Some things about night flying and spatial disorientation. We also talked about personal minimums and how important these were to have. I mentioned I wasn't going to do much (any) night flying until I was well underway with my IR.

(this is taking too long to type... I'm skipping to the flying part).

All in all he was happy with the oral part and said I was overprepared which made me happy since I really did study for weeks for this. We took a quick break and went out to the plane where I started my preflight....

I did the most thorough preflight I have ever done and was verbalizing everything I was looking at - elt antenna secure. Four nuts on the aileron hinges... elevator/rudder cables look good... etc. No issues there. I think he appreciated when I was done I stepped back from the aircraft and pulled out the checklist and actually looked to make sure I did not miss anything. He said he was surprised at how many people don't actually at least confirm the preflight checklist with the physical checklist. I think he also appreciated that I did my PAVE/IMSAFE checklist while outside the aircraft (sort of looking at it dead-nose-on).

We got in, and I ran the engine start checklist, clear prop and started her up no problem. I got the weather and this is where things go a bit interesting - there was a pop-up cell about five miles southwest directly in the line of my course to the first checkpoint (a VOR). He mentioned the decision was mine as PIC and I said we should be ok if we got a direct turnout northwest bound. If it looked bad we could come back very quickly and call it a day or wait. He agreed. I got a taxi clearance, we taxied out, did the runup and off we went.

Turns out we really needed that turnout because the cell was pretty impressive once we got airborne and could see it... downdrafts with outflows that were really visible... stuff I knew I didn't want to fly through our near. No problem, we got some vectors around it and eventually were cleared own navigation off to the west. I forgot to ID the VOR, but he reminded me... I had actually written the morse code for the VOR on my kneeboard to make it easier to read (the sectional is too small) and he was ok with this. I tracked the VOR dead on... We got to the VOR and I made my turn to the next checkpoint which is where I was told to expect to start the ACS maneuvers. He handed me the foggles and we did some sim instrument maneuvers. I did well on this - holding a heading, climbing to a new heading and then turning to a different heading. While I had the foggles on we did some unusual attitude recoveries - these were not as sever as I had practiced so I did well on these, too.

Next up were steep turns... the first real maneuver in my opinion. I will admit - I screwed these up. My speeds were all over the place. I am usually really good at these, but this time I couldn't hold 95 knots to save my life. He was VERY lenient with me here and basically told me, "just slow down. In general. Just chill." and I did. I realized I was really nervous (I hadn't felt nervous, but I really was). And from then on, I just relaxed. We went into some slow flight clean and I nailed speeds/altitudes. From here we went right into approach stalls since I was slow and just had to speed up a bit and get flaps configured. Here I thought I did okay, but on the debrief he mentioned maybe I pitched down a bit much (a bit too much windscreen o' green), but not a bust. Power on stall was perfect - lots of right rudder and recovery was good.

Then we did a sim engine fire. Did well here, too. Hit 20 degrees down and 45 degrees bank. After a rotation or two he said to level off and transition into a sim engine out scenario. Pitched for 65 knots right away, picked a really nice set of fields back to back (like an alternate if one didn't work out) and ran the memory checklist. Really nice glide downwind to base to final to the landing spot then did a go-around.

After this we were closer to the ground, so we did turns around a point. I picked a nice rusty silo and barn combo, found downwind and did the turns no problem. Then it was off to the short/soft/normal landings and takeoffs......... We were close to a local un-towered airport and the wind favored nicely so that I was right on the 45 to left downwind with no maneuvering. Made all the right radio calls and set up nicely for a short-field landing on the 1,000' stripe. I have had trouble with these in the past, but I had been practicing them relentlessly..... and I nailed it right in the middle of the stripe. At that point I knew this was mine to lose. Taxied back, did a decent soft field takeoff, flew the pattern, greased a soft field landing, taxied back and did a nice short field takeoff....

Departed the pattern and asked what's next... he said, well that's it we're headed for home. I didn't have the nerve to ask if I passed at that point, but since there was no issuance of disqualification, I was pretty excited and probably was smiling like an idiot all the way back home.

I'll just end this by saying, yes as soon as I landed, taxied to FBO and shut down, he asked how I thought I did. I said I didn't think I did well on the steep turns and brought up a couple of other areas where I could use some more dual instruction. Then.... he extended his hand and said that I passed. I don't remember much else (kidding). Went back inside, I signed my certificates and we did a debrief. I am pretty much spent now and will probably sleep right through my alarm tomorrow morning.

This was truly the hardest thing I have ever done and I have loved every minute of it. I can't wait to get started on my instrument rating. Thanks for listening. I realize now how long this write-up is... sorry. TL/DR I know. But I had to get this out there. One word of advice or maybe comfort to those of you who are prepping for your test - if you prepare properly and really know the material in the ACS as well as can prove that you are safe when doing the maneuvers you will pass. The examiner is not looking to fail you. If you go over your altitude on a steep turn, but vocalize that you are correcting, you will probably be ok. If you are safe. Use your checklists!! Make your clearing turns!! Look OUTSIDE for traffic/birds!!! Be PIC - in control of the aircraft and SAFE with the aircraft.

Good luck to other pilots who are preparing for the practical. Thanks to the pilots who taught me and who let me post here. I am really honored to be part of the amazing group of people who have achieved this or who are working to achieve it.

Congratulations! I love reading real checkride stories and I appreciate the time it took to write this up.

I loved where you said you knew it was yours to lose. That’s a very specific feeling you’ll feel on every checkride, if you continue in ratings.

So now you have to think of who the lucky/unlucky soul is who gets to be your first passenger in the logbook.

Looks like you did it right. PIC from start of oral to the handshake. Flight was your responsibility for all aspects.

Congrats @Deelee - great write up.

Deelee, you made me remember! Boy, for me it was sooo loooong ago... But, your write up gave me that ear to ear grin I had when I was newly minted myownself.

Thanks for that.

Great writeup @Deelee, and congrats!!!!! Sounds like you were prepared, and nailed it.
And I bet the examiner knew you'd be passing within the first 5 minutes. They can be pretty perceptive, those examiners...

We also discussed how to find required items in the POH KOEL (ones marked R) and what to do if things are defective that aren't marked R (placard inop).

What kind of plane was this, and what's a "KOEL"?

KOEL- kinds of operations equipment list. Like a MEL, but not as complex. This was in a 172 M.

Yes, acting like PIC was key. I was very confident in my abilities. Not cocky, but confident. I studied and practiced until I knew I was ready. Until I knew I was PIC and in control of that aircraft. That’s a big deal - be in complete command of the aircraft. Don’t be timid. Really feel in control. It’s hard to describe, but when you feel like you command the aircraft and it’s like your office... that’s when I knew I was ready for the flight part.

The oral - I just studied my butt off. This is something I have wanted for a long time and I wanted to pass first try. Not just pass but excel. With no doubts. For my written I studied so hard and got a 97%. Likewise for the oral. DPE said I was over prepared and that was a good thing.

Not bragging here, just letting others know that if you are prepping for this - overprep. And go with a CFI until all those maneuvers are not only passable, but fun to do and second nature. So when the DPE asks for an approach stall you dot have to think (much). Automatic - clearing turns, place to land IDed. Carb heat on, throttle 1500, pitch for white arc, flaps to 65 knots, start descent, power idle, nose up (maybe turning if asked), announce stall horn, announce break, lower nose, face full o’ green, power full carb heat cold flaps up 10deg. Nose up establish positive rate.....

For all maneuvers. Recite them on your way to work. Chair fly. Your family will think you are nuts manipulating your air yoke and invisible throttle but it really helps. Know the maneuvers cold.

Anyway, if you over-prep, the actual practice will seem easier than you think it will be.

Good luck pilots!!

Not bragging here, just letting others know that if you are prepping for this - overprep. And go with a CFI until all those maneuvers are not only passable, but fun to do and second nature. So when the DPE asks for an approach stall you dot have to think (much). Automatic - clearing turns, place to land IDed. Carb heat on, throttle 1500, pitch for white arc, flaps to 65 knots, start descent, power idle, nose up (maybe turning if asked), announce stall horn, announce break, lower nose, face full o’ green, power full carb heat cold flaps up 10deg. Nose up establish positive rate.....

For all maneuvers. Recite them on your way to work. Chair fly. Your family will think you are nuts manipulating your air yoke and invisible throttle but it really helps. Know the maneuvers cold.

Anyway, if you over-prep, the actual practice will seem easier than you think it will be.

Good luck pilots!!

It was @bbchien who said “Don’t accept minimum standards.” It’s true.

Back