Why do older people drive corvettes?

The words Debris and British sports car are synonyms.

upload_2019-8-14_14-12-44.jpeg
images

Wow, all this disrespectful talk about old people!! That's a good way to get multiple cans of whoop ass opened up on ya.
You can talk about whoop ass when you ride a liter sport bike all day through some twisties. A girl can lay rubber in a hotrod, just ain't that hard. Now staying on a race bike and putting it through its paces, that's whoop ass territory.

You can talk about whoop ass when you ride a liter sport bike all day through some twisties. A girl can lay rubber in a hotrod, just ain't that hard. Now staying on a race bike and putting it through its paces, that's whoop ass territory.

While I only went as high as 600cc, I certainly invite you to try and whoop my ass. :D

As for us old farts driving slow it is probably so you youngsters can catch up to us and be jealous of what we can afford to purchase, and operate, on the other hand we might just be enjoying the ride.

Pitts Off

Don’t you mean enjoying someone else’s ride?

The 35 is cool but unless you're all over the throttle then you might as well be in a maxima.

That was my thought as well when my friend let me drive his R35. Very fun car, but if you weren't getting on it, it was very tame. I like something that still lets you know what you're driving even when you're not getting on it.

I feel old and out of touch. I’ve never seen fast and furious and am not sure if I know what a GTR is. :(

66 GTO and 69 Torino Cobra were my rides...

GTO's...in my youth I owned at various times a 65 convertible, 66 hardtop, 67 hardtop with tri-power, 68 black on black. Almost bought myself a 62nd birthday present and made it a straight flush when a '69 clone went up for sale in town a couple weeks ago. Very nice, 389, maroon, hideaway headlight convertible. But it had an automatic...just couldn't do it.

Corvette's never really did much for me, other than the split-window coupe.

While I only went as high as 600cc, I certainly invite you to try and whoop my ass. :D
I'll outride you on any street bike any day. Won't offer to do it on a dirt bike. The riding is totally different, and I am an admitted neophyte.

Why do older people drive 'vettes? What else would they do with them, park 'em in the yard to look at? What a silly question.....

At 58 I'm not old enough for a Corvette yet so I have a Dodge Challenger. The older I get, the faster cars and motorcycles I buy. For every year that goes by, I am putting !ess and less of my life at risk.

I'll outride you on any street bike any day. Won't offer to do it on a dirt bike. The riding is totally different, and I am an admitted neophyte.

Sounds like it's on at the next fly-in.

I'll take the money for the bets of the @EdFred vs @steingar ride-off.

That was my thought as well when my friend let me drive his R35. Very fun car, but if you weren't getting on it, it was very tame. I like something that still lets you know what you're driving even when you're not getting on it.
The v10 and the seating position of an R8 seems like a good compromise for similar money. An early F430 is a good way to get into something with a little character as well..

The v10 and the seating position of an R8 seems like a good compromise for similar money. An early F430 is a good way to get into something with a little character as well..

I'm just not much of a V10 engine fan. I've probably driven V10s close to 100k miles in my Excursions and I did like them in that fine, but their personality is a bit odd. I also don't like Audis.

My Cobra should have plenty of personality. My wife and I are already talking some about what to build next, although we have a few other things to spend money on first.

GTO's...in my youth I owned at various times a 65 convertible, 66 hardtop, 67 hardtop with tri-power, 68 black on black. Almost bought myself a 62nd birthday present and made it a straight flush when a '69 clone went up for sale in town a couple weeks ago. Very nice, 389, maroon, hideaway headlight convertible. But it had an automatic...just couldn't do it.

Corvette's never really did much for me, other than the split-window coupe.

The '67 GTO is my favorite muscle car of all time. I wish the prices on them hadn't gotten so crazy for a true "242" car. I'd love to build out a resto-mod hardtop in Mariner Turquoise with the white/parchment interior. 400ci, 4-spd, and let 'er run.

Early adult life- no money for corvette
middle adult life- kids, no 2-seaters
late adult life- screw it I can afford it now

All that said I keep seeing nice looking C3 and C4 corvettes for sale at very reasonable prices lately... IDK why I need yet another car but I'm kind of interested.

All this disrespectful talk of LBCs (little British cars).....no they are not fast....no they will not attract bimbo Bambi.....no they are not appliance reliable....no they are not really “sports cars” if acceleration and 0-60 and G data are your criteria....but are they COOL to be motoring about in? A resounding yes.
My initial post stands: the preferred conveyance of cool older guys (especially those with grease under their fingernails and bloodied knuckles)....not wannabe Ricky Racers.

This is all you need to know:

Gives a good understanding why manual transmissions are dead. You cannot shift these things fast enough. No way a manufacturer is going to let the driver be the limiting factor to the best 1/4 mile and 0-60 numbers they can get. The limit at the moment and for a long time to come will be traction obviously. I dont know why someone would take their gtr ro 2,000 hp but it makes me want to go to 1000-1200 with mine.

Honestly, I’ve always thought of a Corvette as the redneck sports car. I like the new body style, but I’d take a Mustang over one any day.
Wait. What.
Calls Corvette a redneck sports car...then prefers mustangs? The only thing more redneck-y than a mustang is a diesel ram with towing mirrors extended, even with no trailer.

:D

I don't care if the auto is faster, it's not as fun. Might as well program an aerobatic routine, push the autopilot button, and let the computer fly it. Snooze fest.
The makers of the cars need a faster number or else nobody will buy one.

Well, they do cater to the lowest rung on the ladder.
Kinda like when Apple puts out a new iPhone every year and the ads always say "the most powerful iPhone ever made". Well if it was worse than last years you would be going backwards and that's not good for business. If your car can't beat the old ones numbers then you have failed at design.

Kinda like when Apple puts out a new iPhone every year and the ads always say "the most powerful iPhone ever made". Well if it was worse than last years you would be going backwards and that's not good for business. If your car can't beat the old ones numbers then you have failed at design.

You missed the point. Only making it about numbers is the failure.

The makers of the cars need a faster number or else nobody will buy one.

We are certainly in a horsepower war period of time. 15 years ago 500 HP was considered to be about the maximum you could run on a street car, and I think there's still a good amount of truth to that. So now you're seeing these cars that are pushing 650-1000 HP from the factory and so yes, with street tires there's no way to have something like that be reasonably controllable, especially by the average driver, without a bunch of these interventions. The Dodge Hellcat shows that (or what're they up to now, the Demon? I forget) with 800ish HP. A friend of mine is a test driver for Chrysler Engineering and got to drive one on the track. He said that it'd break the tires loose at 160 MPH.

But @EdFred is right that the fact that it's all about numbers is the failure. It's a very childish view to look at life strictly as numbers and not about the experience. Where I'm going is less important than how I'm getting there.

You missed the point. Only making it about numbers is the failure.
Well everyone I know buying high end sports cars only care about the numbers. It's kinda they way things are right now. It's just a waiting game to see who the runner up to the Tesla roadster is going to be at this time.

Well everyone I know buying high end sports cars only care about the numbers. It's kinda they way things are right now. It's just a waiting game to see who the runner up to the Tesla roadster is going to be at this time.

The one that passes it on the side of the road with dead batteries..........

My point made. Lowest rung.

Back