Before you buy a plane!!!

I was waiting for you to set the money on fire, Bryan. :)

Those larger annual bills always suck and are unpleasant. You get used to them with time. As Bill said, this happens with all older airplanes. Depending on the condition of the plane, it can take 2-3 years to get it "well sorted" before you can coast for a while.

I agree a 182 would be a great option for you.

Oh.. The money gets set on fire.
This was just the trailer ;)

Why not a Cherokee 235? loads cheaper to buy. If me & pax had no lower limb issues like ankle or knee issues that's probably what I'd do.

Oh I don't really know what I am going to get. This CG thing snuck up on us a little faster than we thought it would.
Do you know how much food a 12 year old boy can consume? It's crazy.

I don't want to be a Cessna pilot. But...

I love the plane but I will end up selling it next year.
Primary reason is CG and the wife's comfort.

Useful load is not an issue but my son is growing up at an astounding rate and on our last XC, the CG was max Aft so my wife had a bag under her feet and I had a bag under my feet which is probably not a safe thing to do. Also the plane is slow and very light so we were getting tossed around for hours and she was miserable and visibly praying. It was really bad and that has happened twice this year.

I think if I get a 182, we go a little faster, Carry more, have room to spread out, and the CG is a non issue.

I will never own a plane as pretty as my Grumman though. Maybe once the kids are out of the house, I will get back into a Tiger or an RV.

Welcome to the Darkside.:) As in shade under the wing.

Get a Mooney. An M20c will be cheaper than a Skylane and will be as fast with far less gas used. Unless you really need to big back seat, Mooneys are the biggest bang for the buck in GA.

One expensive annual and our friend Briany wants to bail. Just wait until he sees the bill on a 182, he'll be wishing he still had the Grumman. :)
I he buys a brand new 182, he should be good to go. No annual issues. :)

Get a Mooney. An M20c will be cheaper than a Skylane and will be as fast with far less gas used. Unless you really need to big back seat, Mooneys are the biggest bang for the buck in GA.
I think his kids are growing up and out, not staying the same size and getting more dense. :)

Let me know when your Grumman is for sale. Seriously.

He has soon to be teens. A short body Mooney isn't going to cut it, and a mid-body wont' cut it for long. He really needs a 206 or Cherokee Six for long range planning.

6pc, what performance #s are you getting ? Sorry. lazy. Iif you have posted b4. Next year I'm looking at Grumman/RV6A.. trying to figure out price vs speed .. Just me and wifey. no kids.

Yeah, when a guy needs a truck, he needs a truck.

That’s why I’m tired of dating sports cars..... a man simply needs more utility once the newness wears off. And that little sports car WILL be trouble at some point.

Wait, what are we talking about anyway.....

Michael, that just won't do it for his mission. He and Eren could do fine with that, but not the kids.

That’s why I’m tired of dating sports cars..... a man simply needs more utility once the newness wears off. And that little sports car WILL be trouble at some point.

Wait, what are we talking about anyway.....
Ummmmm, yeah.

Does this mean you'll consider my offer of $12k? :)

BTW, if you think planes are expensive, I'll trade you a Thoroughbred mare with navicular disease....

Does this mean you'll consider my offer of $12k? :)

BTW, if you think planes are expensive, I'll trade you a Thoroughbred mare with navicular disease....

Is that a new brand of glue?

So now you're gonna take the hit and sell the Traveller, buy a much more expensive plane that will probably be just as old and then get hit with another 5K annual to fix delayed repairs to that one? Maybe I'm just trying to keep you on Team Grumman, lol.

Go 182 over the 235, the pa28 cabin is cramped in the front for my taste, and I've owned two. About the only piper cabins worth my while these days are the pa32/34/23 series.

I'm not a fan of the continentals, especially their carb installation, but lyco 182s are priced stupid so you're a captive audience. A 177Rg would be a middle ground solution, though personally after dealing with a 200hp airplane in the texas heat, I've come to embrace the mantra of get as much horsepower as you can afford, regardless of lack of cruise efficiency.

The economy is starting to hint at my predicted recession already. Yield curves are inverting, administration is trying to placate the Chinese after their failed tariff bluff, at least until they can get the tariffs past Xmas shopping season, since Americans can't see past their personal consumption economy. They re panicking. They know 2020 is gonna fall off a cliff. Next summer is gonna be a bloodbath on the resale market, as payrolls contract and the financed crowd that ran up these 182 prices in the first place get kicked in the rear as quickly as they got in, and sell off their toys. You're looking at good timing to enter the market as a buyer in 2020 imo.

As to the Grumman, now you understand that fixed gear and prop isn't that significant of a savings over HP singles or retracts in the practical world of fleet averages and low utilization certified dinosaurs. Much against the grain of people here, from my view... it's the capex stupid. That's the only delta of consequnce between singles, unless you got unobtanium problems like magnesium ruddervator, or Cessna high wing retract actuator/pivot et al (or twins). Outside that, its all about capex.

All that said, if I could go RV right now I would. The costs regardless of brand, are indeed absurd in certified land, and it doesn't need to be this way. EAB FTW imo.

Go 182 over the 235, the pa28 cabin is cramped in the front for my taste, and I've owned two. About the only piper cabins worth my while these days are the pa32/34/23 series.

I'm not a fan of the continentals, especially their carb installation, but lyco 182s are priced stupid so you're a captive audience. A 177Rg would be a middle ground solution, though personally after dealing with a 200hp airplane in the texas heat, I've come to embrace the mantra of get as much horsepower as you can afford, regardless of lack of cruise efficiency.

The economy is starting to hint at my predicted recession already. Yield curves are inverting, administration is trying to placate the Chinese after their failed tariff bluff, at least until they can get the tariffs past Xmas shopping season, since Americans can't see past their personal consumption economy. They re panicking. They know 2020 is gonna fall off a cliff. Next summer is gonna be a bloodbath on the resale market, as payrolls contract and the financed crowd that ran up these 182 prices in the first place get kicked in the rear as quickly as they got in, and sell off their toys. You're looking at good timing to enter the market as a buyer in 2020 imo.

As to the Grumman, now you understand that fixed gear and prop isn't that significant of a savings over HP singles or retracts in the practical world of fleet averages and low utilization certified dinosaurs. Much against the grain of people here, from my view... it's the capex stupid. That's the only delta of consequnce between singles, unless you got unobtanium problems like magnesium ruddervator, or Cessna high wing retract actuator/pivot et al (or twins). Outside that, its all about capex.

All that said, if I could go RV right now I would. The costs regardless of brand, are indeed absurd in certified land, and it doesn't need to be this way. EAB FTW imo.
Not a bad point. could you sell the Grumman now for top dollar and fly dad's cirrus for a year or so and then buy when things are down a bit?

Yep Bo came out way too late in this topic. But trust me when I say this......DONT FLY ONE UNLESS YOU'RE PREPARED TO BUY IT!!!!! TRUST ME!! hahaha

Back