Why do older people drive corvettes?

I have a better question for the OP about Corvettes. Why are 99%+ driven alone? I NEVER see anyone in the passenger seat. They might as well not put that passenger seat in there. Now that I've told you this, you will start noticing, and you will see why a Corvette is the loneliest car there is.

Just like airplanes most cars are single passenger. You just notice it more on Corvettes because you turn your head and look

Just like airplanes most cars are single passenger. You just notice it more on Corvettes because you turn your head and look
I'm not a car guy, so I wouldn't notice a Ferrari or Lamborghini unless it ran into me. I notice Corvettes because a friend was once making fun of Corvettes as being "lonely cars", and now I look to see that she was right.

I'm not a car guy, so I wouldn't notice a Ferrari or Lamborghini unless it ran into me. I notice Corvettes because a friend was once making fun of Corvettes as being "lonely cars", and now I look to see that she was right.

haha my point exactly, you look at them. Not to mention most people with sports cars go out driving them to "get away" for a bit and have fun. Hard to do that with a nagging wife "your going too fast, you're going to get a ticket, who are you trying to impress?"

Yes jealous. If I did own one wont drive it like an old lady out on a Sunday drive driving super slow.

These days, I see so many people driving sports cars, muscle cars, sport sedans, etc. as if they were driving a school bus. Years ago, people would drive them as they were meant to be driven. I think that people no longer buy them for the driving experience but rather just for appearances sake. But I guess if you own it, you can drive it like you want to. Just get the eff out of the left lane. I know where the gas pedal is at in my Jeep.

I’d prefer a Shelby fastback mustang.

Cheers

Mustangs are the Ford Equivalent to the Chevy Camaro, not the Corvette.

COOL old guys drive Austin Healeys or MGs.
Nope. We drive Jeep Wranglers. :)

Back in the olden days (high school) I had a buddy that REALLY wanted a 'vette, but of course, couldn't afford to just go out and buy one. So, he picked up a chassis somewhere, body parts here and there, engine, trans, etc. etc. Took a couple years to collect the parts and assemble them. Had it two days before he wrapped it around a utility pole.

Then there was his brother who had a corner on the market for Fiat 600's.

because they are very fun cars and very impracticable. I had a C5 when I was in the 30s. I took it on a trip once. I figures just the tires cost was like flipping a nickle out the window each mile driven. When you are old enough to own a plane, you are too old to pass the medical. It's just how life works.

Why?

Because the lambo dealer told them they gonna need a bit more swagger if they wanna drive a real sports car. So they drove to the Fiberglass Ferrari dealer and knocked a decimal place off the price tag.

I used to race cars in my earlier days, real V8 cars on tracks from 1/4 mile dirt to paved 2 mile tracks. I know my reactions are not as quick as they used to be, but the excitement is still there for me.
Our local track has an 80 yr old guy running a late model. He’s consistently in the top 3. He’s been racing since I was a kid. The guy is awesome!

Yes jealous. If I did own one wont drive it like an old lady out on a Sunday drive driving super slow.
And that’s why you may never get old enough to own one.

Miatas at our place; wife gets the new hot one with the electric roof, I get the old run out one. Keeps me in aircraft...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I'm 63. I have a 427 Cobra and a ZX-14R Ninja. Corvettes are for losers. Now get off my lawn.

Reactions: Ted
Want a “lonely” car?
Build and drive a Caterham. :cool:

Honestly, I’ve always thought of a Corvette as the redneck sports car. I like the new body style, but I’d take a Mustang over one any day.

I’d prefer a Shelby fastback mustang.

Why include Mustang when discussing sports cars...............it certainly isn't a "sports car." Maybe a 2 door sedan!

Why include Mustang when discussing sports cars...............it certainly isn't a "sports car." Maybe a 2 door sedan!
Eh, the new Mustangs (like GT350) are pretty stout on the track and have a flat-plane "VooDoo" 5.2L V8. Nothing un-sporty about that. Mustang GTs generally hold the highest HP-to-weight ratio of anything under the $40K mark as well, and now with IRS. They aren't an old straight-line racing Fox-body anymore.

Why? The same reason kids have noisy, screeching street bikes. It fits their lifestyle and budget.

I have a Marauder and EBR1190RX and I'm 61 years old... o_O

I'm 63. I have a 427 Cobra and a ZX-14R Ninja. Corvettes are for losers. Now get off my lawn.

Don't know how you ride the Kowalski at that age. Probably not far. I had a Honda 954rr (which could happily keep up with your Ninja, by the way. Holy smoke was that thing fast!) which I rode for about a decade. Problem was it hurt. When I hit 50 I noticed that it hurt long after I'd gotten off the bike, and it dawned on me that I could really damage myself just riding the thing. Sold it and bought a naked liter sport bike, more comfy.

Had I the money I'd happily march out and buy a Corvette. They're supercars, they do everything a high end European Supercar will do, but they're made by GM in America by Americans and they're about a fourth the price. Sign me up.

Because young people drive GT-Rs

The only guy with an R35 that I knew personally was in his 40s. He was a professional landlord with a bunch of condos. His daily driver was a tricked-out Sentra, and not SE-R, just a 2010s vintage Sentra with a beam rear. Totally a NISMO freak.

Around here, yuppies with money buy Bimmers and Mercs. I know someone who can't quite make the cut, so he bought a used E450. It's what later became AMG E43. The less affluent have to get by with just WRX STi.

Because kids drive GT-Rs. Specifically Asian kids with new money, or anyone that beats off to the Fast and the Furious films. ;)
Kids are young people so you're right on that one.
Edit: I haven't seen a F&F since the first one and I'm not asian so there is some flaw to your categorization on GTR owners

Because kids drive GT-Rs. Specifically Asian kids with new money, or anyone that beats off to the Fast and the Furious films. ;)
I have an R35 and an R32. Both of them I prefer to any corvette. That is until the C8 gets forced induction then we will finally have an american competitor in the game.

Kids are young people so you're right on that one.
Edit: I haven't seen a F&F since the first one and I'm not asian so there is some flaw to your categorization on GTR owners

Maybe I should have put a few more smileys in my post. Relax man - this is a tongue and cheek thread about generalizations of car owners. Don’t take yourself so seriously. :)

Why do Older People Drive Corvettes?
It never fails when I look over to see who is driving a Corvette they are older and driving 10 miles under the speed limit. What gives?
Because I can. Not usually 10 MPH under.

Don't know how you ride the Kowalski at that age. Probably not far. I had a Honda 954rr (which could happily keep up with your Ninja, by the way. Holy smoke was that thing fast!) which I rode for about a decade. Problem was it hurt. When I hit 50 I noticed that it hurt long after I'd gotten off the bike, and it dawned on me that I could really damage myself just riding the thing. Sold it and bought a naked liter sport bike, more comfy.

Had I the money I'd happily march out and buy a Corvette. They're supercars, they do everything a high end European Supercar will do, but they're made by GM in America by Americans and they're about a fourth the price. Sign me up.

I can take it for about an hour or so. My back is fine but some wrist problems are developing. It sure is fun though. The 2020 Corvette does look interesting ...

Maybe I should have put a few more smileys in my post. Relax man - this is a tongue and cheek thread about generalizations of car owners. Don’t take yourself so seriously. :)
I think it was the beating off to the F&F part. I hate those movies so much and I haven't even seen them. The fact they keep making those and people keep going to see them means our society is in really bad shape. But you're right the the movies popularized the Skyline and the GT-R beyond belief in the US.

I have an R35 and an R32.

Which do you prefer to drive? Obviously the R35 is a monster, but I almost feel like the R32 would be more fun at the track. And all kidding aside - I’d take a GT-R over the Corvette as well.

Which do you prefer to drive? Obviously the R35 is a monster, but I almost feel like the R32 would be more fun at the track.
All I know about the generations of GT-R comes from Ko-chan's little expo spiel:

Which do you prefer to drive? Obviously the R35 is a monster, but I almost feel like the R32 would be more fun at the track. And all kidding aside - I’d take a GT-R over the Corvette as well.
S15 all day

I can take it for about an hour or so. My back is fine but some wrist problems are developing. It sure is fun though. The 2020 Corvette does look interesting ...
Yeah, the sport bikes can easily affect your wrist and back. My throttle hand would fall asleep after about 15 minutes of the 954. I now understand why you never see old guys on the things. I drive a Toyota MR2 convertible, and the engine is in the back. Boy is it fun to drive.

32. The right hand drive and manual make all the difference. The 35 is cool but unless you're all over the throttle then you might as well be in a maxima.

When’s the last time either left the garage, eh? o_O

Wow, all this disrespectful talk about old people!! That's a good way to get multiple cans of whoop ass opened up on ya. This old person had no problem driving and leaving lots of rubber from the rear tires of my sons 1968 Chevelle Resto Mod laying in the street. A 574 ci fuel injected crate motor with 750HP at the flywheel and 650 at the rear wheels made that task very easy. I reminded him those were his tires that might need replacing soon. But, alas he has sold the Chevelle and replaced it with a 2014 Shelby GT500, if I have my specs right it only has 662HP to the rear wheels, and I am looking forward to hopping in it and spending some of his tire reserves as well.

As for us old farts driving slow it is probably so you youngsters can catch up to us and be jealous of what we can afford to purchase, and operate, on the other hand we might just be enjoying the ride.

Pitts Off

Back